All in good fun. Roll Tide!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team RollinTider1335's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

ND Fan here with thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    I really don't think looking at recruiting rankings has much to do with who is on the field right now. Again, we have recruited defensive talent from TX, GA, FL, and SC. We have probably the best LB/DE combo coming in next year in Anzalone and Jaylon Smith. Our defense will be good for years to come (if Aaron Lynch had stayed, we might be on another level, but we put senior leadership in there and have done fine). You guys definitely get the best talent in the country, but idk if that is the best indicator.

Again, I'm not willing to go as far as OP and say our D is better than Bama 2011 D.

But as stated, we let you get the chunk yards in between, then shut down in our territory. We also NEVER give up the big play. 'Bama has given up 13/50 throws longer than 20 yards. We haven given up 6/41, with only one TD. We have also been better against ranked opponents. You average roughly 235 y/p/g against ranked opponents. We average 203.5 against ranked opponents. This is primarily b/c against better QB's we give up the dink and dunk and we tackle very efficiently (held Lee & Wood to their lowest yards after the catch of their entire careers).

We have one of the best red zone offenses in recent history. We have allowed a TD on roughly 25% of opponents red zone trips, the lowest percentage of ANY team in the past 8 FBS seasons. And we have allowed only 2 rushing touchdowns the entire year, the first coming against Belldozer in the 8th game of the season.

The biggest question, if we play you, is whether we can do work on your D. You are the best D we would face. It's all about whether a ND team can hang with the SEC. I think we can hang, I do not think we can dominate.
    Uh. You gave up several big plays against USC. Please try again.

BamaNation Second Team FriendlyIrish's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ND Fan here with thoughts

The Forde article is questionable, for sure. When you are talking about blowouts (the 9th-12th ranked opponents on schedule), it may not matter at all.

But the fact is the worst team on our schedule (BC) literally embarasses FCS schools. That's not a dog on Bama in particular, many teams have schedule FCS schools this year. And the more difficult teams you have faced compensate for that in many respects. But top to bottom, Sagarin has our schedule ranked more difficult. It doesn't even matter at this point, really. We have played good opponents and bad ones. But the bad opponents we played are rivalry games. BC is a rivalry, it is their super bowl. Pitt is a deep rivalry. MSU is a huge rivalry. All these teams get up for us.

All I'm sayin' is we gotta chance.

BamaNation First Team RollinTider1335's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

ND Fan here with thoughts

The Forde article is questionable, for sure. When you are talking about blowouts (the 9th-12th ranked opponents on schedule), it may not matter at all.

But the fact is the worst team on our schedule (BC) literally embarasses FCS schools. That's not a dog on Bama in particular, many teams have schedule FCS schools this year. And the more difficult teams you have faced compensate for that in many respects. But top to bottom, Sagarin has our schedule ranked more difficult. It doesn't even matter at this point, really. We have played good opponents and bad ones. But the bad opponents we played are rivalry games. BC is a rivalry, it is their super bowl. Pitt is a deep rivalry. MSU is a huge rivalry. All these teams get up for us.

All I'm sayin' is we gotta chance.
    All I'm saying is we don't play yet. Are you posting on the UGa boards also?

We ain't lookin ahead.

BamaNation Second Team GADAWG1980's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Dome View Post
    I'm hopeful you all beat Georgia, because I think Alabama and Notre Dame are worthy of the history of that game and as opponents of each other considering the history of the two programs.

I think Alabama would be favored (rightfully so) but slightly. My reasoning is the same as Pat Fordes, here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...Z3ZtNeencp1LYF

Frankly, I've been watching ND for 38 years and I've never personally witnessed a defense like this before (this includes the stellar '80 and 88' defenses). I also think it ranks right up there with Saban's best Alabama defenses. I think this is one of the best defenses in all of college football over the the past five seasons. The stats bear that out.

Interested on why so many SEC fans in general think the game with ND would be a walk over blowout? I think if Alabama wins it's like to be a low scoring game and a 3-10 point win max (which in context of this defense I guess is alot)

Thoughts?
    Personally,i think your team and particular your defense is seriously overrated. If you played an sec schedule you wouldve been lucky to win nine games. I think any team that barely beats the pittsburgh panthers at home(and needs phantom pass interference calls in particular)is definitely overrated. The biggest challenge we have is getting through bama. I feel much more confident of a win over notre dame than i do bama. I think if we do get to the title game it wont be a 17-10 georgia win like it was back in 1980 against your stellar defense. I think we win by two touchdowns at least. The challenge is getting by bama not beating notre dame.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSully View Post
    ...doesn't quite make the point Forde wanted to make. After we play UGA Saturday the comparison gets even worse for ND.
    That was a good post and you made some fair points. The takeaway I see is our schedule stacks up with anyone in the country, and it isn't soft. It sucks that the point has to even be made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RollinTider1335 View Post
    All I'm saying is we don't play yet. Are you posting on the UGa boards also?

We ain't lookin ahead.
    That's fine. Throughout the season I hated people that said "let's just focus on this week," because I wasn't on the team. It wasn't my job to take it week by week as a fan.

But the week before the U$C game I had your same mentality. Couldn't look ahead b/c I could taste it. So that's fair.

BamaNation All-American BamaMoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That's fine. Throughout the season I hated people that said "let's just focus on this week," because I wasn't on the team. It wasn't my job to take it week by week as a fan.

But the week before the U$C game I had your same mentality. Couldn't look ahead b/c I could taste it. So that's fair.
    Agree with you on that!!! Not one thing I post here at TideFans will affect Bama's performance against Georgia this weekend. And me thinking ahead to ND won't either.

I hate when a poster on a message board acts like we've got to think like we are on the team!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

We gotta couple of good Irish posters here, I see. Welcome.

One of the moderators, now deceased, was married to a Notre Dame grad...his nickname for y'all was Notre Dang, given our history with you.

This is just my opinion and I'm not trying to offend anyone...but if Bama gets by Georgia, and I expect we will, then we will be on Notre Dang like a pack of wild dogs on raw meat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    Dude,

I didnt say they'd win the BCSNCG...and i didnt say i thought they were the best team, but we'll (hopefully) get to play them in January and prove that we're the better team (which I think we are)...

I merely stated a fact; they went 12-0 against a pretty solid schedule (dont think there was an FCS opponent on their schedule). Too many are saying that their schedule was soft; I just dont see it as soft, compared to a LOT of other teams out there.

We can talk smack about them; I just think that their schedule was more than respectable...

...and they earned the opportunity to play in the game by being 12-0; of course they have to win it to earn the trophy, and either us or Georgia (god forbid) would definitly be their toughest test of the year.

Roll Tide
    I gotcha man. I am just biased toward our conference and our schedule. I do think they have earned their way into the championship game unlike some in the past.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

That was a good post and you made some fair points. The takeaway I see is our schedule stacks up with anyone in the country, and it isn't soft. It sucks that the point has to even be made.
    I think it is a phenomenon directly related to seeing ND struggle to put away inferior teams. We kept watching and waiting, expect the other shoe to drop, but week after week you guys kept pulling it out. Now that you are 12-0, we are all looking at each other trying to put into words exactly why we don't think you are the best team.

Weak schedule is probably just the easiest way to say it, even if it doesn't fit all that well.

At the end of the day, I agree that ND played a respectable schedule and deserves a #1 ranking simply because you are 12-0.

I'm sticking to my prediction that the SECCG score will be closer than the BCSCG.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Food for thought:

I believe Western Kentucky would probably beat Navy, Purdue, Pittsburgh, Boston College and Wake Forest this year.

That's what I think of Notre Dame's strength of schedule.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Yeehaw on TideFans.com

Notre Dame kind of reminds me of Auburn 2010. Got by on a lot luck but played some good games and never gave up on one. They have a few very outstanding players (maybe not once in a lifetime, but outstanding none the less). The good thing here is if our team get ahead of them like they did Auburn there will be no letting up. If we get to play them time for some serious long time coming payback.