Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team Johnwants#15's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ND Fan here with thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    He didn't get across the goal line. Well, he did, but after the whistles blew and his elbow had hit the ground, not to mention it was on his 3rd try.

I think our schedule and the close games we have played, plus the exponential improvement in the area we needed it the most (Golson) towards the end of the season has us being the best competition for you in the NCG. Think about it: Stanford showed how to beat Oregon. Everyone believed they were unstoppable, but they aren't. K State is, well, K state. And if you played UF or any other SEC team in the NCG, it would be like another week in the SEC. You have schemed for those teams all year, you know their players, you know how to beat them. You don't know how to beat us. No one does. No one has showed how to yet.

CNS will come up with something assuming you get by this Saturday. I don't think giving him a month any more than all the other ND fans. But CBK is an offensive coach, as stated above. He has just been waiting for the right pieces to fall in place, and Golson is it. He doens't have the best numbers because he was playing like a true freshmen up until the OU game. And even after that, he got pulled against Pitt.

As stated by another poster, I think the month off will hurt us. Just like it hurt LSU last year. LSU was on all cylinders towards the end of the year. Then they came out flat and didn't even get across the 50.

See it how you will, and that is your right. You saw its a fan, I just observed without bias, correction, I cheered for you because i felt you would be the easiest road for us. Frankly, he coulda been given the TD on second down as well, but the refs seemed really determined to not award that score.

Now, as far as Florida or whom ever being just another day in the S E C,,,,bingo! That's it! We face the best defenses in the nation regularly. Can you say the same????

Gholson is the key huh? You put up 22 on USC. There 3 previous loses had put 38, 62 and 39 points on that d respectively.

As for the blue print to beat you. ( because we all know Saban needs someone to show him a strategy , laughable) Pitt showed it quite clearly, they just didn't have the horse to get it done. We wont have that problem. Not to mention some more friendly officiating on that phantom PI call.
    Tradition-
    "Cherished by those who possess it, Envied by those without it, Scoffed by those who do not comprehend it and Desired by all who understand it." -Me

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Second Team FriendlyIrish's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Johnwants#13 View Post
    See it how you will, and that is your right. You saw its a fan, I just observed without bias, correction, I cheered for you because i felt you would be the easiest road for us. Frankly, he coulda been given the TD on second down as well, but the refs seemed really determined to not award that score.

Now, as far as Florida or whom ever being just another day in the S E C,,,,bingo! That's it! We face the best defenses in the nation regularly. Can you say the same????

Gholson is the key huh? You put up 22 on USC. There 3 previous loses had put 38, 62 and 39 points on that d respectively.

As for the blue print to beat you. ( because we all know Saban needs someone to show him a strategy , laughable) Pitt showed it quite clearly, they just didn't have the horse to get it done. We wont have that problem. Not to mention some more friendly officiating on that phantom PI call.
    We had at least 2 scoring drives of over 5 minutes against U$C. We are number one in the country for longest scoring drives (TD's) of over 5 minutes. That's what our offense does. It's completely OPPOSITE of what Oregon does, but we get it done with 5 Seniors on the OL, 2 great RB's, our 2 TE sets and good WR's. Granted our red zone offense sucked against U$C (5 field goals). If they don't get that straightened away, your right, we don't stand a chance. If ND does, we can be dangerous.

Golson is the element that BK's offense has been looking for. No matter what, you have to look out for him. He is an extremely mobile, throw-first qb. Yet, he hasn't seen the likes of DE's in the SEC, I will say that.

It's tough to throw stats out here I am beginning to realize. It seems that if you don't play in the SEC, your stats are null ... but honestly, is there another team outside of the SEC that you guys think would give you more trouble than us?

Again, I think the time off is going to hurt for us. 'Bama has been there. If its UGA, that's a whole different story. From an objective perspective I can't see how you guys lose this weekend IMO...

Post Thanks / Like

We had at least 2 scoring drives of over 5 minutes against U$C. We are number one in the country for longest scoring drives (TD's) of over 5 minutes. That's what our offense does. It's completely OPPOSITE of what Oregon does, but we get it done with 5 Seniors on the OL, 2 great RB's, our 2 TE sets and good WR's. Granted our red zone offense sucked against U$C (5 field goals). If they don't get that straightened away, your right, we don't stand a chance. If ND does, we can be dangerous.

Golson is the element that BK's offense has been looking for. No matter what, you have to look out for him. He is an extremely mobile, throw-first qb. Yet, he hasn't seen the likes of DE's in the SEC, I will say that.

It's tough to throw stats out here I am beginning to realize. It seems that if you don't play in the SEC, your stats are null ... but honestly, is there another team outside of the SEC that you guys think would give you more trouble than us?

Again, I think the time off is going to hurt for us. 'Bama has been there. If its UGA, that's a whole different story. From an objective perspective I can't see how you guys lose this weekend IMO...
    Yes,,,I would much rather play you than Oregon. They make me nervous.
    Tradition-
    "Cherished by those who possess it, Envied by those without it, Scoffed by those who do not comprehend it and Desired by all who understand it." -Me

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Notre Dame is built more in the SEC/Big Ten identity than Pac-12/Big-12 identity. They want to control possession through the run game and possession passing, minimize offensive possession for the opponent with great 3rd down defensive efficiency, and generally suck the momentum out of the game.

They certainly aren't the offensive unit that Alabama is in 2012, but I think they may have the more cohesive defensive unit personnel-wise though. I think Georgia is the tougher matchup for them because I think Jarvis Jones would have a field day while Alabama doesn't really have an elite edge rusher in the front seven. Still, I think Alabama would take away all those interior runs and force them to run to the outside (which doesn't seem to be their strength, maybe not a weakness but not their relative strength) and complete passes on situations not favorable to an offense. Georgia wouldn't stop the run as well but I think they have a better shot of creating negative plays and takeaways.

Notre Dame will probably need to beat their SEC opponent by absolutely shutting them down because I just get the feeling neither Saban nor Grantham are going to let ND accomplish much offensively. They'd probably need another 13-11 victory more so than hoping to win a 24-23 type score.

Post Thanks / Like

Bama-Notre Dame for the National Championship will be one for the ages!
    Bama 867-314-44 72.6% On the field

2012 SEC CHAMPIONS
    BACK TO BACK NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Notre Dame is built more in the SEC/Big Ten identity than Pac-12/Big-12 identity. They want to control possession through the run game and possession passing, minimize offensive possession for the opponent with great 3rd down defensive efficiency, and generally suck the momentum out of the game.

They certainly aren't the offensive unit that Alabama is in 2012, but I think they may have the more cohesive defensive unit personnel-wise though. I think Georgia is the tougher matchup for them because I think Jarvis Jones would have a field day while Alabama doesn't really have an elite edge rusher in the front seven. Still, I think Alabama would take away all those interior runs and force them to run to the outside (which doesn't seem to be their strength, maybe not a weakness but not their relative strength) and complete passes on situations not favorable to an offense. Georgia wouldn't stop the run as well but I think they have a better shot of creating negative plays and takeaways.

Notre Dame will probably need to beat their SEC opponent by absolutely shutting them down because I just get the feeling neither Saban nor Grantham are going to let ND accomplish much offensively. They'd probably need another 13-11 victory more so than hoping to win a 24-23 type score.

Yep,, they are a more cohesive unit defensively,,, and when you find the stats to back that up let me know.
    They gave up 26 to Pitt! And that was not the Steelers!

I do agree they won't score on whichever SEC team they play.

But the thought that UGA is a tougher matchup is laughable at best...
    though UGa is a tough matchup for us.
    Tradition-

BamaNation All-American OreBama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Here's my very in-depth analysis of a potential Bama-ND championship:

Offense: Bama>ND
    Defense: Bama>ND
    Special Teams: Bama>ND

Result: Bama>ND

I think Oregon, Georgia, and Florida would be much tougher games for the Tide.
    Pronounced as or-e-bama not Obama.

Or Chris, if you prefer.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, Domers, I very much hope we get to play.

I think to the defensive and offensive rankings you should add an SEC Factor. When SEC teams play the teams on ND's schedule (mostly the Big 10) we see a noticeable gap in speed, strength, and skill. We named our score vs Michigan this year as we did vs Penn St if that counts. Other examples abound, my favorite of which was OSU vs Florida in the BCSNCG. OSU was thought to be unstoppable and the Gators swatted them around.

I may be wrong and will have much to reconsider if ND beats the SEC champ. So glad we get to see.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in school in the 70s when we played ND and very much look forward to seeing you again. It's been a long drought for you and most of us on this board are not too removed to remember the passion of this rivalry! Hope to see you in Miami.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some statistical breakdowns for Bama's D

http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/team/8/...tuational.html

Highlights:

2.08 yards per rush in the first half

1 TD - 10 INTs in the first half

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JIB View Post
    Here are some statistical breakdowns for Bama's D

Highlights:

2.08 yards per rush in the first half

1 TD - 10 INTs in the first half
    Where are your overtime stats?!?!

(On our board, italics are code for sarcasm...)

Post Thanks / Like

You smoke us in yards per rush (2.3 compared to 3.1, big gap IMO). Looks like you guys limit the long runs more often than us as well. It definitely speaks to the character of your DL and Mosley, Dickson, and Hubbard.

As far as Rushing TD's, we've only allows 2 on the year (none until Oklahoma and that fat Belldozer), and only 9 TD's total on the year. Obviously, your scoring D is a little better than ours. Your run D, after looking at the stats, is actually sicker than I thought. We are good also, but usually in the middle of the field everyone just assumes to pass on us, so they don't bust one too often on the ground in midfield.

Again, red-zone D is our thing. We have the best red zone defense of the last 8 years.

This is a stat that I find astounding = Bama has forced 27 turnovers this year, and gotten roughly 155 points off them. We have forced 23, and gotten 48. That is scary for us.
    Last edited by FriendlyIrish; November 28th, 2012 at 11:10 PM.

BamaNation All-American RammerJammer14's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Woot on TideFans.com

Golson is the element that BK's offense has been looking for. No matter what, you have to look out for him. He is an extremely mobile, throw-first qb.
    I keep seeing this, but I just don't buy it. I watched a few ND games this season and the kid never impressed me. He seems to keep a level head but I've seen him make some dumb decisions. Especially the Pitt game, I know he threw a horrible pick on one TD drive because he was forcing the ball and I seem to remember a couple more poor decisions as well that should have been game-ending. He reminds me more of one of Auburn's QBs than a Russel Wilson. I will grade him as a Jordan Jefferson at best. What I see is a servicable QB supported by a great defense (and defense wins championships), but I don't buy the statement that he is the QB Kelly has been waiting for. Just my 2c.
    -Why's it us Sergeant? Why us?
    -Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

-"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
    -"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."