ND Fan here with thoughts

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
ND's defense is not even close to the 2011 BAMA and LSU defense...much less 2012. I guess I'm a homer. Good luck against the SEC in Miami...
I agree. I have NEVER seen a defense as good as the 2011 version. To put up the numbers they put up in this day and age in the SEC was unreal. I've been lucky enough to see the 92, 09, and 11 title teams and the 11 version was the best ever for Bama and best I've ever seen in my life. Bama's defense this year is better than Notre Dame's and yet this is not our best version by far.

I can honestly say if Notre Dame played in the SEC they would have lost 1-2 games easily. Granted I think ND has played a tough schedule, but to skate against the teams like Pitt that they should have blown out and was taken to 3 OT's makes me scratch my head. I just don't see how ND would be able to move the ball against Bama either.

Like others have said this game will come down to offense, with Bama just having too much and Notre Dame not having enough. ND's offense is the type of offense a Bama defense thrives on. With no big passing threat, Bama will wear down their offense and totally shut the running game down. The rushing/passing stats and pretty much even but the biggest stats come down to QB play (efficiency and INT's). McCarron alone has the yards that all of ND's QB's have together, but McCarron's rating is 40 points higher than ANY Notre Dame QB. Then add to that ND has thrown 3x more INT's than Bama and Bama also has a better completion percentage. Bama also has 2x as many passing TD's, and 10 more rushing TD's.

I and a lot of others think Bama would be able to move the ball better against ND's defense than ND doing it to Bama's defense. That should be the difference in the game. I think UGA will give Bama a tougher game than ND would just because UGA has a better rushing threat along with the fact we MUST respect their passing game with Aaron Murray.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
The stats are close , but the 1992 defense played with a D+/C- offense and about as penalty prone special teams units as there has ever been in school history whereas the 2011 defense was paired up with an A- offense . The '92 unit played one poor quarter against Miss St (the only regular season team to crack the 300 yard mark with 301) while the 2011 defense was embarrassed by DII foe Ga Southern . In addition , the 2011 defense folded when it mattered most (LSU loss) . The 1992 defense had to win nearly every game that was played , other than the lone game in which the offense set the tone against S. Car . I think some fans have forgotten a huge portion of the total picture , but , as I said it's JMO .
Well I honestly thought 92 was the best until last year. Something else some overlook was in 92 the offenses they faced were not quite as dangerous as they were last year. Really the only scary offenses I remember facing in 92 was Florida and Miami. Most of the other teams had vanilla offenses IMHO (but remember I was only 12 so bear with me and my memory).

In 2011 we now play in an offensive age compared to teams more geared towards defense in 92. That's why I think 11 was more impressive. Yea the 11 team lost a game, but the SEC as a whole was WAY more competitive last year than they were in 92. I think if each team played each other in their respective years (I know it's a silly argument) the 11 team would win the game due to our offense. Our size and speed last year was just too much, and with Trent/Lacy it even gave them the edge in rushing over Lassic/Williams/Anderson. Really the only advantage 92 had on offense was David Palmer. QB play is not even close. The kicking game of course was advantage 92. D-Line advantage 92. LB's advantage 11 and the DB's are pretty darn close IMO.

No matter what we think, that would be one heckuva game for sure! RTR!

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
I don't think Notre Dame would score more than 6 points in a game versus Alabama. They didn't really do anything offensively against USCw who gave up 60 something to Oregon.

Last edited:
I believe a very prominent person from that team says 2011 was the beat he's ever seen, including his own.

gdrowningbear69

Sep 12, 2012
University of Oklahoma
Welcome ND fan. I just wanted to say I would rather play you than anybody in the country. I could care less to play an Oregon or a Kansas State with their Frisbee catching dogs (wide receivers). I believe this is the matchup that America wants to see. See you guys soon hopefully.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
I don't want to sound like a ND basher, but here's my take:

Notre Dame has been mediocre in many games this year. Oklahoma was impressive, but that's about it. Blowouts of Miami, Navy and Wake Forrest aren't really noteworthy. Close wins against BYU, Michigan, Pitt, and Purdue should be worrisome to ND fans.

Teo is a good player. Very good. He is not worthy of a Heisman. His stats aren't particularly impressive other than INTs. He should not win the Heisman. His story is exceptional, but his play on the field has not been the kind of transcendent play you'd expect for a defensive guy to win the Heisman. I think Jarvin Jones is a better linebacker and the NFL draft will bear that out.

To say ND's defense is one of the best of the last half decade is crazy. They've played 1 team ranked in the top 35 in scoring offense and 4 teams ranked in the 100s. Despite that they aren't leading the NCAA in any meaningful defensive stats.

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I count their win against Stanford as most impressive. Their win over Oklahoma was decent too but that's about it. I am hoping like mad for a Notre Dame/Alabama matchup. You guys have had a great season. Much better than the past 15 years. Fortunately, ND gets to prove how good they are against the SEC in January. Great post man.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Once we post that "W" in the column on Saturday, you can go ahead and build the new crystal ball trophy case for #15. We will do to the "media darling" ND what we did to the overrated Michigan. I can't wait! RTR!!

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
I'm hopeful you all beat Georgia, because I think Alabama and Notre Dame are worthy of the history of that game and as opponents of each other considering the history of the two programs.

I think Alabama would be favored (rightfully so) but slightly. My reasoning is the same as Pat Fordes, here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf-...348035.html;_ylt=Ao8hJasvjC2lu8Z3ZtNeencp1LYF

Frankly, I've been watching ND for 38 years and I've never personally witnessed a defense like this before (this includes the stellar '80 and 88' defenses). I also think it ranks right up there with Saban's best Alabama defenses. I think this is one of the best defenses in all of college football over the the past five seasons. The stats bear that out.

Interested on why so many SEC fans in general think the game with ND would be a walk over blowout? I think if Alabama wins it's like to be a low scoring game and a 3-10 point win max (which in context of this defense I guess is alot)

Thoughts?
I think you're crazy.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
I count their win against Stanford as most impressive. Their win over Oklahoma was decent too but that's about it. I am hoping like mad for a Notre Dame/Alabama matchup. You guys have had a great season. Much better than the past 15 years. Fortunately, ND gets to prove how good they are against the SEC in January. Great post man.
I was more impressed with the Pitt win....

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I will say we caught a break against U$C with Wittek. Couldn't believe that the pieces fell into place like that for us. With Barkeley, it's a different game.

I can promise you, and would bet my entire college debt on this, that we would NOT lose to scUM with Gardner at the helm. We went through 3 years of absolute hell against them. If you have seen the stadium pictures from that game with the lei's, you would know it was a very magical night that we would not have let slip away. This is coming from a recent Michigan grad... don't get me started on that story :)

The counter-argument to our lucky breaks with QB's is that we played Rees the second half of the UM game, and Golson was still getting pulled every other play against Stanford. But it's cool that you are aware our offense is starting to click on all cylinders, as many who don't watch every game wouldn't notice the progression of Golson throughout the year.

The wild card play that 'Bama has (among others, I'm sure) is that they have played in this game with the time off. I don't know how ND will handle that. My Tigers didn't handle it too well and I'm still hung over from that nonsense. Assuming you get through UGA, it will be interesting to see how that plays out for us.
The way Notre Dame is playing right now, you'd almost want to keep on playing instead of taking a month off. On one hand, you mend the bruises and get some time on the fundamentals. On the other, Notre Dame has an impressive energy going right now...they seem almost charmed. It's hard to recapture those intangibles after a month off. LSU was a high-energy team all of last season but they were flat in the title game. They would have definitely been better off playing the title game right after the SECCG when everything was clicking.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
ND should be proud of the season they have put together this year. It's tough to go unbeaten over 12 games (as we are all aware), and they did it.

I just don't get the argument that ND's schedule is soft. If our team had road wins against Oklahoma and USC, plus a good victory over Stanford, we would be claiming it was the toughest schedule in the country. I get it that the other teams ND played aren't exactly world beaters, but the "top half" of that schedule is pretty impressive.

Best defense over the past 5 years? And the stats bear that out? Good grief. :rolleyes: As others have stated, ND's defense wasn't even the best statistically this year, much less over the last 5. Even putting Bama aside for the moment, TCU had some mean defenses 3-4 years ago.

That goal line stand against USC was one of the most impressive things I've seen this season, and I know ND has some insane stat about the number of rushing TDs allowed. However, if we make it past Georgia and have a month to prepare, you better believe that Bama will be ready to play and will have a plan to score on your D.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Notre Dame has a great schedule resume this year. Some of their opponents fell off a bit but they could have two conference champions on their schedule if the chips fall right this week for OU and Stanford...two quality power conference champions to boot (2nd and 3rd only to the SEC). Regardless, they beat a top 3-ish team in the Pac-12, Big-12, and Big Ten in one year.

Think of it this way: they had 4 gimme games scheduled - just like most teams in a conference - and they were all quality independents or lower-tier ACC teams (Navy, BYU, Wake Forest, and Boston College). Pitt, Michigan State, and Miami fell short of expectations but that slate is about the same as us playing Tennessee, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Mizzou in-conference.

Their schedule top to bottom is stronger than our schedule or any team other than Florida in the SEC because they didn't schedule a single mid-major. Navy is consistently the toughest Service Academy - they've beaten ND a bit over the last few years - and BYU is a team that won a national title and competed at the top level well recently too. Wake and BC are bad but they're a tougher out than scheduling FAU or WCU just by pure talent on the field.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
I would like to add this to the conversation...as far as Bama's defensive stats are concerned, 10 of the 12 games Bama played were impressive victories. So much so, that most of the final quarters, or halves, were being played by Bama's back-ups. (Those two games where Bama's first string defenses were still playing, Bama beat LSWho and had the opportunity to best ATM.) So, therefore, Bama's published stats are not totally indicative of how good they could legitimately claim.

That being said, take care of business in Atlanta, and then Bama shall eagerly await the opportunity to atone for some heartbreaking losses at the hands of the team from South Bend.

Roll Tsunami, Roll!

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
I think a lot of us kept awaiting the shoe to drop on ND throughout the season. But the team continued to improve, were very well coached and beat everyone on their schedule. Did good fortune smile on them when they played Pitt, USC, and Stanford? Sure. But they are undefeated and if we are fortunate enough to get past Georgia, I think that the Irish will be a very formidable opponent come January.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The way Notre Dame is playing right now, you'd almost want to keep on playing instead of taking a month off. On one hand, you mend the bruises and get some time on the fundamentals. On the other, Notre Dame has an impressive energy going right now...they seem almost charmed. It's hard to recapture those intangibles after a month off. LSU was a high-energy team all of last season but they were flat in the title game. They would have definitely been better off playing the title game right after the SECCG when everything was clicking.
That would be a big concern of mine if I'm the Irish.

On the other hand, with the exception of the Sugar in '08 (when we did have anything but pride on the line), we have never gone into a post season game not looking stronger and more fundamentally sound than we did in the regular season.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
What Notre Dame does, they do very well. Though not fleet, they play fast. Though not flashy, they attack on both sides of the ball.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
People forget that by trade Brian Kelly is an offensive coach. He's put an emphasis on defense since arriving in South Bend but he inherited a good deal of raw talent and put a lot of trust in his defensive staff to get them there. Bob Diaco seems like an up-and-comer in the vein of Kirby Smart. If his defense can keep teams from running away from them, he's shown that he can scheme up a good possession down the stretch.

The biggest thing I see is that they flex their TE out wide like we have done on occasion but they actually attack the corners with their pass-catching TE with fades and other throws where he can body the guy out of the play. UGA or Bama has to be ready for that...

Johnwants#15

1st Team
Nov 30, 2005
Please,,,,,

1. Triple OT to beat Pitt.
2. ND lost to Stanford,, regardless of what the refs gave them, (they have gotten quite a few strange calls this year) he crossed The goal line, we all saw it.
3. They barely escaped Michigan.... A team that was completely non-competitive with Bama.

ND is fooling themselves, and any Bama fans that see this as a competitive matchup are just nostalgic or being charitable..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I get what some are saying about ND's schedule. I've seen the Sagrin ratings. I know who they beat.

The thing about the way they got to where they are and where we hope we'll be Saturday night can't really be measured but is significant.

ND can schedule the way they want to the SEC can't.

Furthermore, while we will be playing one of the best teams in the country this weekend, they'll be reading Pat Forde.

But I still maintain that the biggest difference is the SEC regular season that we face and it is arguable that there is more pressure to win the SEC WEST than it is to do anything else.

ND didn't have to deal with the elite athletes we have to deal with each week (even the middle to lower tier teams in the SEC) and they don't have the pressure of having to win their conference or even their division. ND had pressure ONE week and caught a break by getting to play a weakened USC team.

If we are fortunate enough to meet them in January, how they got there and how we got there will be to our advantage.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.