ND Fan here with thoughts

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Dude,

I didnt say they'd win the BCSNCG...and i didnt say i thought they were the best team, but we'll (hopefully) get to play them in January and prove that we're the better team (which I think we are)...

I merely stated a fact; they went 12-0 against a pretty solid schedule (dont think there was an FCS opponent on their schedule). Too many are saying that their schedule was soft; I just dont see it as soft, compared to a LOT of other teams out there.

We can talk smack about them; I just think that their schedule was more than respectable...

...and they earned the opportunity to play in the game by being 12-0; of course they have to win it to earn the trophy, and either us or Georgia (god forbid) would definitly be their toughest test of the year.

Roll Tide
I gotcha man. I am just biased toward our conference and our schedule. I do think they have earned their way into the championship game unlike some in the past.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
That was a good post and you made some fair points. The takeaway I see is our schedule stacks up with anyone in the country, and it isn't soft. It sucks that the point has to even be made.
I think it is a phenomenon directly related to seeing ND struggle to put away inferior teams. We kept watching and waiting, expect the other shoe to drop, but week after week you guys kept pulling it out. Now that you are 12-0, we are all looking at each other trying to put into words exactly why we don't think you are the best team.

Weak schedule is probably just the easiest way to say it, even if it doesn't fit all that well. :biggrin2:

At the end of the day, I agree that ND played a respectable schedule and deserves a #1 ranking simply because you are 12-0.

I'm sticking to my prediction that the SECCG score will be closer than the BCSCG.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Food for thought:

I believe Western Kentucky would probably beat Navy, Purdue, Pittsburgh, Boston College and Wake Forest this year.

That's what I think of Notre Dame's strength of schedule.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Notre Dame kind of reminds me of Auburn 2010. Got by on a lot luck but played some good games and never gave up on one. They have a few very outstanding players (maybe not once in a lifetime, but outstanding none the less). The good thing here is if our team get ahead of them like they did Auburn there will be no letting up. If we get to play them time for some serious long time coming payback.

Johnwants#15

1st Team
Nov 30, 2005
He didn't get across the goal line. Well, he did, but after the whistles blew and his elbow had hit the ground, not to mention it was on his 3rd try.

I think our schedule and the close games we have played, plus the exponential improvement in the area we needed it the most (Golson) towards the end of the season has us being the best competition for you in the NCG. Think about it: Stanford showed how to beat Oregon. Everyone believed they were unstoppable, but they aren't. K State is, well, K state. And if you played UF or any other SEC team in the NCG, it would be like another week in the SEC. You have schemed for those teams all year, you know their players, you know how to beat them. You don't know how to beat us. No one does. No one has showed how to yet.

CNS will come up with something assuming you get by this Saturday. I don't think giving him a month any more than all the other ND fans. But CBK is an offensive coach, as stated above. He has just been waiting for the right pieces to fall in place, and Golson is it. He doens't have the best numbers because he was playing like a true freshmen up until the OU game. And even after that, he got pulled against Pitt.

As stated by another poster, I think the month off will hurt us. Just like it hurt LSU last year. LSU was on all cylinders towards the end of the year. Then they came out flat and didn't even get across the 50.

See it how you will, and that is your right. You saw its a fan, I just observed without bias, correction, I cheered for you because i felt you would be the easiest road for us. Frankly, he coulda been given the TD on second down as well, but the refs seemed really determined to not award that score.

Now, as far as Florida or whom ever being just another day in the S E C,,,,bingo! That's it! We face the best defenses in the nation regularly. Can you say the same????

Gholson is the key huh? You put up 22 on USC. There 3 previous loses had put 38, 62 and 39 points on that d respectively.

As for the blue print to beat you. ( because we all know Saban needs someone to show him a strategy , laughable) Pitt showed it quite clearly, they just didn't have the horse to get it done. We wont have that problem. Not to mention some more friendly officiating on that phantom PI call.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
See it how you will, and that is your right. You saw its a fan, I just observed without bias, correction, I cheered for you because i felt you would be the easiest road for us. Frankly, he coulda been given the TD on second down as well, but the refs seemed really determined to not award that score.

Now, as far as Florida or whom ever being just another day in the S E C,,,,bingo! That's it! We face the best defenses in the nation regularly. Can you say the same????

Gholson is the key huh? You put up 22 on USC. There 3 previous loses had put 38, 62 and 39 points on that d respectively.

As for the blue print to beat you. ( because we all know Saban needs someone to show him a strategy , laughable) Pitt showed it quite clearly, they just didn't have the horse to get it done. We wont have that problem. Not to mention some more friendly officiating on that phantom PI call.
We had at least 2 scoring drives of over 5 minutes against U$C. We are number one in the country for longest scoring drives (TD's) of over 5 minutes. That's what our offense does. It's completely OPPOSITE of what Oregon does, but we get it done with 5 Seniors on the OL, 2 great RB's, our 2 TE sets and good WR's. Granted our red zone offense sucked against U$C (5 field goals). If they don't get that straightened away, your right, we don't stand a chance. If ND does, we can be dangerous.

Golson is the element that BK's offense has been looking for. No matter what, you have to look out for him. He is an extremely mobile, throw-first qb. Yet, he hasn't seen the likes of DE's in the SEC, I will say that.

It's tough to throw stats out here I am beginning to realize. It seems that if you don't play in the SEC, your stats are null ... but honestly, is there another team outside of the SEC that you guys think would give you more trouble than us?

Again, I think the time off is going to hurt for us. 'Bama has been there. If its UGA, that's a whole different story. From an objective perspective I can't see how you guys lose this weekend IMO...

Johnwants#15

1st Team
Nov 30, 2005
We had at least 2 scoring drives of over 5 minutes against U$C. We are number one in the country for longest scoring drives (TD's) of over 5 minutes. That's what our offense does. It's completely OPPOSITE of what Oregon does, but we get it done with 5 Seniors on the OL, 2 great RB's, our 2 TE sets and good WR's. Granted our red zone offense sucked against U$C (5 field goals). If they don't get that straightened away, your right, we don't stand a chance. If ND does, we can be dangerous.

Golson is the element that BK's offense has been looking for. No matter what, you have to look out for him. He is an extremely mobile, throw-first qb. Yet, he hasn't seen the likes of DE's in the SEC, I will say that.

It's tough to throw stats out here I am beginning to realize. It seems that if you don't play in the SEC, your stats are null ... but honestly, is there another team outside of the SEC that you guys think would give you more trouble than us?

Again, I think the time off is going to hurt for us. 'Bama has been there. If its UGA, that's a whole different story. From an objective perspective I can't see how you guys lose this weekend IMO...
Yes,,,I would much rather play you than Oregon. They make me nervous.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Notre Dame is built more in the SEC/Big Ten identity than Pac-12/Big-12 identity. They want to control possession through the run game and possession passing, minimize offensive possession for the opponent with great 3rd down defensive efficiency, and generally suck the momentum out of the game.

They certainly aren't the offensive unit that Alabama is in 2012, but I think they may have the more cohesive defensive unit personnel-wise though. I think Georgia is the tougher matchup for them because I think Jarvis Jones would have a field day while Alabama doesn't really have an elite edge rusher in the front seven. Still, I think Alabama would take away all those interior runs and force them to run to the outside (which doesn't seem to be their strength, maybe not a weakness but not their relative strength) and complete passes on situations not favorable to an offense. Georgia wouldn't stop the run as well but I think they have a better shot of creating negative plays and takeaways.

Notre Dame will probably need to beat their SEC opponent by absolutely shutting them down because I just get the feeling neither Saban nor Grantham are going to let ND accomplish much offensively. They'd probably need another 13-11 victory more so than hoping to win a 24-23 type score.

Johnwants#15

1st Team
Nov 30, 2005
Notre Dame is built more in the SEC/Big Ten identity than Pac-12/Big-12 identity. They want to control possession through the run game and possession passing, minimize offensive possession for the opponent with great 3rd down defensive efficiency, and generally suck the momentum out of the game.

They certainly aren't the offensive unit that Alabama is in 2012, but I think they may have the more cohesive defensive unit personnel-wise though. I think Georgia is the tougher matchup for them because I think Jarvis Jones would have a field day while Alabama doesn't really have an elite edge rusher in the front seven. Still, I think Alabama would take away all those interior runs and force them to run to the outside (which doesn't seem to be their strength, maybe not a weakness but not their relative strength) and complete passes on situations not favorable to an offense. Georgia wouldn't stop the run as well but I think they have a better shot of creating negative plays and takeaways.

Notre Dame will probably need to beat their SEC opponent by absolutely shutting them down because I just get the feeling neither Saban nor Grantham are going to let ND accomplish much offensively. They'd probably need another 13-11 victory more so than hoping to win a 24-23 type score.

Yep,, they are a more cohesive unit defensively,,, and when you find the stats to back that up let me know.
They gave up 26 to Pitt! And that was not the Steelers!

I do agree they won't score on whichever SEC team they play.

But the thought that UGA is a tougher matchup is laughable at best...
though UGa is a tough matchup for us.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
Here's my very in-depth analysis of a potential Bama-ND championship:

Offense: Bama>ND
Defense: Bama>ND
Special Teams: Bama>ND

Result: Bama>ND

I think Oregon, Georgia, and Florida would be much tougher games for the Tide.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Welcome, Domers, I very much hope we get to play.

I think to the defensive and offensive rankings you should add an SEC Factor. When SEC teams play the teams on ND's schedule (mostly the Big 10) we see a noticeable gap in speed, strength, and skill. We named our score vs Michigan this year as we did vs Penn St if that counts. Other examples abound, my favorite of which was OSU vs Florida in the BCSNCG. OSU was thought to be unstoppable and the Gators swatted them around.

I may be wrong and will have much to reconsider if ND beats the SEC champ. So glad we get to see.

Luvubama

All-SEC
May 26, 2008
Charlotte NC
I was in school in the 70s when we played ND and very much look forward to seeing you again. It's been a long drought for you and most of us on this board are not too removed to remember the passion of this rivalry! Hope to see you in Miami.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
You smoke us in yards per rush (2.3 compared to 3.1, big gap IMO). Looks like you guys limit the long runs more often than us as well. It definitely speaks to the character of your DL and Mosley, Dickson, and Hubbard.

As far as Rushing TD's, we've only allows 2 on the year (none until Oklahoma and that fat Belldozer), and only 9 TD's total on the year. Obviously, your scoring D is a little better than ours. Your run D, after looking at the stats, is actually sicker than I thought. We are good also, but usually in the middle of the field everyone just assumes to pass on us, so they don't bust one too often on the ground in midfield.

Again, red-zone D is our thing. We have the best red zone defense of the last 8 years.

This is a stat that I find astounding = Bama has forced 27 turnovers this year, and gotten roughly 155 points off them. We have forced 23, and gotten 48. That is scary for us.

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Golson is the element that BK's offense has been looking for. No matter what, you have to look out for him. He is an extremely mobile, throw-first qb.
I keep seeing this, but I just don't buy it. I watched a few ND games this season and the kid never impressed me. He seems to keep a level head but I've seen him make some dumb decisions. Especially the Pitt game, I know he threw a horrible pick on one TD drive because he was forcing the ball and I seem to remember a couple more poor decisions as well that should have been game-ending. He reminds me more of one of Auburn's QBs than a Russel Wilson. I will grade him as a Jordan Jefferson at best. What I see is a servicable QB supported by a great defense (and defense wins championships), but I don't buy the statement that he is the QB Kelly has been waiting for. Just my 2c. :)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I could poke a bit more fun and remind people that a Brian Kelly undefeated team did play a one loss SEC team in a BCS bowl before...

But, in all fairness he didn't actually coach that game. Still, 51-24 was a pretty big blowout.

I also have to say this. I am amazed that Notre Dame is undefeated. I expected this schedule to chew them up and spit them out. Now, Michigan, Michigan St., Oklahoma, USC... all not as good as advertised. They caught a lot of good programs having mediocre years, but the point remains that they played a lot of teams that take football seriously. It might not quite be an SEC schedule, but it wasn't far behind either.

The comparison to the 1992 Alabama team someone made did hit on something. Both teams had great defenses and unimpressive looking offenses. Both programs had been through a period of playing below their typical expectations. Both were mocked a bit... I'm not saying they are as good as 1992 Alabama, but I'm saying they are a dangerous team.

I think Notre Dame is a better match-up than Oregon would have been. I'm really hoping Alabama gets to play them. But, honestly I'd consider Alabama at about a 50% chance of winning it all at this point. They have to get through Georgia, and stay healthy enough to beat a physical Notre Dame team. That is a tall order, but I for one am just glad they have that chance.

WilhelmDND80

Nov 29, 2012
I joined this Board today to learn more about Alabama from the fanbase that likely knows them the best. I am a Notre Dame alum and fan. I am sincerely only interested in having balanced and intelligent/respectful discussions with you fans about our respective teams. You will note, I did not sign on to any Georgia board because I am confident that your team will be ND's opponent in the BCSNCG. Roll Tide this weekend and then our teams can meet on January 7th

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I joined this Board today to learn more about Alabama from the fanbase that likely knows them the best. I am a Notre Dame alum and fan. I am sincerely only interested in having balanced and intelligent/respectful discussions with you fans about our respective teams. You will note, I did not sign on to any Georgia board because I am confident that your team will be ND's opponent in the BCSNCG. Roll Tide this weekend and then our teams can meet on January 7th
Welcome to TideFans! We appreciate the confidence you have in us beating Georgia. Hope we don't disappoint you!

I think I speak for the entire Bama Nation when I say we are in love with the possibility of a Bama/ND Championship game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.