Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Six Years Ago Today, Former Coach Here Was Let Go

Mike Shula did a very good job considering the circumstances. We almost earned a trip to Atlanta in 2005. That was the year that brought back my interest in earnest. Yeah we suffered mightily in 06 and honestly we did with CNS first year in 07. Always will be appreciative of Mike Shula's work. I'll also never forget the drive he rolled out on Georgia in 85 when I had first moved here. ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like

It's easy to forget that at the time of Mike Shula's hiring, Alabama was - due mainly to impending NCAA sanctions - no longer a top-tier coaching destination. Mike Shula did his best in a job that was more than he could handle. I prefer to remember him as the quarterback who engineered one of the greatest drives in Tide history - 1985, "The Kick."

BamaNation All-American EscaTider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Six Years Ago Today, Former Coach Here Was Let Go

As excited as we all were with the hiring of CNS, I don't think even the most optimistic fan could have envisioned what has transpired since his arrival. What a time to be a Bama fan.

As for Shula, he did the best that he could, given the hand that he was dealt. I'm grateful that he gave CNS a nice nucleus of talent that made a huge impact on that 2008 "turning point" team.

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    It's easy to forget that at the time of Mike Shula's hiring, Alabama was - due mainly to impending NCAA sanctions - no longer a top-tier coaching destination. Mike Shula did his best in a job that was more than he could handle. I prefer to remember him as the quarterback who engineered one of the greatest drives in Tide history - 1985, "The Kick."
    Bama has had very few, if any, QBs that could have done what he did that night. Most recently, McCarron, as great as he has been for Bama, could not do it very late against the barn after McElroy went down in the 2010 game.

Mike Shula, laying flat of his back after being sacked on his own 12 yard line, called his final time out with 38 seconds left. Then, facing 2nd and 18 at the 12 with, as said, no time outs, picked himself up and went and won the football game. There is about a snowball's chance of any QB doing that under those circumstances. That too is the Mike Shula I remember. Just like it was yesterday!
    Last edited by ALA2262; November 28th, 2012 at 11:59 AM.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

I am thankful that we got Nick Saban, and not Ritch Rod :-). I would have been happy with either hire at that time, but I am so glad that we got Coach Saban. I can even remember people thinking that Spurrier might come to BAMA at that time. Which, I still think that Spurrier would have been a good one :-). But, I cannot think of a better match than Saban, and BAMA :-).
    I remeber a Garth Brooks country song " Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers" Well, I prayed once that Spurrier would come to BAMA, and I thank God for Coach Saban :-).
    As far as Shula goes. I would love to see Saban hire him as an Offensive Coordinator someday, and properly groom him to take over when he retires :-). OK. I know that is not going to happen, but it sure would be cool :-).

BamaNation First Team Stonewall1959's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    Mike Shula is a good man. He came back to his University when they needed someone and not many were willing to jump into the fire. For that, I'll always be grateful for his willingness to assume control of the reins and lead the team for several years. It was unfortunate that it didn't work out. I think we all wanted Mike to succeed at Alabama.
    Agree completely. Wish it had worked out for him, but he would have never had the success of Nick Saban.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

No, no, no, no, no....

Shula did not do the best he could with a bad situation.

EDIT: I won't belabor the point and Lord knows I"m glad we have CNS, but Shula did a mediocre job at best, even under the circumstances. Search the archives on this site for more information on that point.
    Last edited by CrimsonProf; November 28th, 2012 at 04:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Six years ago, folks couldn't stand Mike Shula. Two national championships and 5 straight 10-win seasons later, folks say he did the best he could.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    Mike Shula is a good man. He came back to his University when they needed someone and not many were willing to jump into the fire. For that, I'll always be grateful for his willingness to assume control of the reins and lead the team for several years. It was unfortunate that it didn't work out. I think we all wanted Mike to succeed at Alabama.
    Let's don't overlook the fact that Bama made Shula a relatively wealthy man. Tell me another job where "it doesn't work out" and you walk away with several million.

I like Shula and appreciated when he stepped up for Bama, but lifetime financial security isn't something to sneeze at, especially when it comes in after only a few years of work.

Don Shula ran his mouth about Bama after we hired Saban, but who cared at that point?

Post Thanks / Like

There is no reason to open this scab back up. JMO....

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chukker Veteran View Post
    Let's don't overlook the fact that Bama made Shula a relatively wealthy man. Tell me another job where "it doesn't work out" and you walk away with several million.
    It happens every year in college football and several just in the past few weeks:
    Auburn - Gene Chizik
    Tennessee - Derek Dooley
    NC State - Tom O'Brien
    Kentucky - Joker Phillips

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Im_on_dsp View Post
    I don't really think it shows good taste to celebrate the firing of someone, especially a loyal Bama alum and athlete. Let's celebrate the day CNS was hired instead.
    It took guts, and it should be celebrated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    No, no, no, no, no....

Shula did not do the best he could with a bad situation.

EDIT: I won't belabor the point and Lord knows I"m glad we have CNS, but Shula did a mediocre job at best, even under the circumstances. Search the archives on this site for more information on that point.
    I was here throughout

I criticized decisions

I thought the players played sloppily

I thought discipline was lacking

I thought we were under prepared

In hindsight I now realize that it was the best Shula could do