Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TommyMac's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Re: Six Years Ago Today, Former Coach Here Was Let Go

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    Bama has had very few, if any, QBs that could have done what he did that night. Most recently, McCarron, as great as he has been for Bama, could not do it very late against the barn after McElroy went down in the 2010 game.

Mike Shula, laying flat of his back after being sacked on his own 12 yard line, called his final time out with 38 seconds left. Then, facing 2nd and 18 at the 12 with, as said, no time outs, picked himself up and went and won the football game. There is about a snowball's chance of any QB doing that under those circumstances. That too is the Mike Shula I remember. Just like it was yesterday!

I'll assure you that there have been many Bama QBs that could have done exactly that. You evidently either have a low opinion of former Bama QBs or you are ignorant of how blessed we've been at the QB position.
    "I'm just a simple plowhand from Arkansas, but I've learned over the years how to hold a team together, how to lift some men up, how to calm others down, until finally they've got one heartbeat, together, a team."

Coach Bryant

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BAMAFAN IN NY's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I was firmly in Mike Shulas corner until his last Arkansas game. We should have won that game. I mean seriuosly.. How do you run up the middle trying to set up a FG, when your freshman kicker is so rattled he cant possibly make it? And how is that JC was healthy enough for kickoffs, but not for FGs?????

Thinking about that game gets my blood pressure up every time
    Touch that thang fo!-- Courtney Upshaw

BamaNation First Team Im_on_dsp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TommyMac View Post
    Funny thing about this "loyal Bama alum," he never saw fit to set foot back on campus after graduating until Bama waved $900,000 at him.
    And you know that because you have a house just outside the entrance to the campus and you monitor all the comings and goings? The truth is you don't really have any idea, nor do I. People come and go around this country all the time, that's one of the freedoms we enjoy. Not every person of celebrity status announces where they are every minute. There are literally thousands of ex Alabama football players, do they all come to every homecoming?

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

This commercial should have gotten somebody fired.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation All-American

Strange thing about Shula....as far as I know, he's never publicly commented on the end of his tenure in Tuscaloosa. His dad sure has, but I'm not aware that he has.

Yet he remains a polarizing figure. Some fans think he was a colossal failure. Others think he was a good man overmatched by the job. Still others think he was just this close to making the turn.

Some think he was done wrong in the termination, and others think he (rather clumsily) brought the circumstances on himself.

But no matter what their position, a lot of fans take it incredibly personally if anyone disagrees with their particular viewpoint.

I'll never understand how someone who's been deafeningly silent for six years can still generate that level of emotion, pro and con.
    Undefeated World Champion Threadkiller

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Im_on_dsp View Post
    And you know that because you have a house just outside the entrance to the campus and you monitor all the comings and goings? The truth is you don't really have any idea, nor do I. People come and go around this country all the time, that's one of the freedoms we enjoy. Not every person of celebrity status announces where they are every minute. There are literally thousands of ex Alabama football players, do they all come to every homecoming?
    Oh come on dude. Seriously? He's the son of Don Shula and an Alabama legend. You really think he sneaks around the University unannounced?

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    If CMS had gone 10-3 again in 2006 rather than 6-6, he would have been invited back on. But my point is that the farewell was to a way of doing business that failed us for a decade. That's all.

It was the dark before the dawn.
    Then your post should have been directed towards those who created and propigated that "Old Boy Network" way of doing business

BamaNation First Team graydogg85's Avatar

*rolls eyes*

Another re-hashed Shula thread...seriously folks, do some research on this site and read some of the posts by our credible mods. Shula did us zero favors and while those of you who wish to commemorate him for a "job well done under tough circumstances" are entitled to your opinion, it would likely change sharply if you were aware of his handling and treatment of certain players, among other things.

The best things I can say about Mike? He was a good quarterback for us in the Perkins era, and he didn't sink to the depths of Mike Dubose or Gene Chizik as head coach.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by graydogg85 View Post
    *rolls eyes*

Another re-hashed Shula thread...seriously folks, do some research on this site and read some of the posts by our credible mods. Shula did us zero favors and while those of you who wish to commemorate him for a "job well done under tough circumstances" are entitled to your opinion, it would likely change sharply if you were aware of his handling and treatment of certain players, among other things.

The best things I can say about Mike? He was a good quarterback for us in the Perkins era, and he didn't sink to the depths of Mike Dubose or Gene Chizik as head coach.
    This post deserves multiple ice cream cones.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BamainBoston View Post
    Oh come on dude. Seriously? He's the son of Don Shula and an Alabama legend. You really think he sneaks around the University unannounced?
    No, but on other hand do you really think there is a record somewhere that the poster checked to verify that CMS never saw fit to set foot back on campus after graduating until Bama waved $900,000 at him (his words, not mine). How does anyone know whether he did or didn't. Oh, that's right, he looked it up on the internet. It's easy, just open Google and type in "how many times has Mike Shula visited the University of Alabama since graduation". My gosh, how did we ever live before the internet was invented.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Im_on_dsp View Post
    No, but on other hand do you really think there is a record somewhere that the poster checked to verify that CMS never saw fit to set foot back on campus after graduating until Bama waved $900,000 at him (his words, not mine). How does anyone know whether he did or didn't. Oh, that's right, he looked it up on the internet. It's easy, just open Google and type in "how many times has Mike Shula visited the University of Alabama since graduation". My gosh, how did we ever live before the internet was invented.
    I think too much is being made of the exact wording of the statement. The point is that Shula had so little involvement with the University between graduation and being hired as the head coach that no one is aware of anything. But what difference does it make? This is 2012.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    But what difference does it make? This is 2012.
    Nada. I'm just sick of people trashing him. All it does it make you trashy too. Let's celebrate where we are, not the day someone got fired.

I'm going to make this one post and then close this one more unproductive Shula thread. I knew far too much of what went on in that regime and he was one of the coldest-hearted SOBs I've ever encountered. We had guys playing who had absolutely no support from home - zero money for anything. NCAA regs allowed for them to be fed between terms and he refused to do it. It was the prototypical "born with a silver spoon in mouth - let them eat cake (Marie Antoinette, if you're wondering)" attitude. It was seen to that they got fed. Or the time he punished a player for leaving practice to attend his grandmother's (who raised him) funeral. AFAIC, he's scum and I'd rather never hear his name again...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus