Question: What are some new wrinkles we may see in the SECCG? (from either side)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Since Sims has become our primary #2 qb this probably is not going to happen, but I wish we would occasionally bring him in as a running back (not too shabby at that) and give him a run here and there. That would set up a great opportunity to work in a half-back pass on occasion.

It's just my "back yard football" mentality, but I like stuff like that!

Born2Roll

3rd Team
Oct 8, 2004
Tallahassee, FL
Speaking for Bama:

Offense: Maybe some no huddle, spread early to take Georgia out of their base D (especially if we receive). This may be why Saban is considering playing Chris Black.

Defense: I expect a different DB combo in nickel and dime situations.

Special Teams: I think we may run a fake on special teams. If I remember right, we haven't ran a designed fake this year.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I think we see alot of power football. Georgia has not done a great job against the run this year, and this is by far the best Oline they have faced. I could see a toss back pass like we have run in the past with success. If the safeties and linebackers begin to cheat forward it is a no brainer to try and take advantage of that. Even an incomplete pass or having to check it down would keep defense honest.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I think we should run some quick tempo to confuse Georgia's defense and because they don't have the depth that Bama has. Georgia played great in the first half against LSU last year, but ran out of gas in the fourth quarter. Maybe, we will see Jesse Williams in the backfield pass blocking for AJ on key passing downs. I also would like to see Sims come in and run some option plays, but then try to burn Georgia deep.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Do we have a WR that can throw the ball? Maze was our passing WR the last few years. Can Cyrus or Christion Jones throw the ball?
I expect maybe an early onside kick if we find our selves down early or unable to slow down Murray.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Do we have a WR that can throw the ball? Maze was our passing WR the last few years. Can Cyrus or Christion Jones throw the ball?
I expect maybe an early onside kick if we find our selves down early or unable to slow down Murray.
An early onside kick would only mean we are in deep trouble.

The most uncharacteristic thing I ever remember seeing CNS do is the fake punt in the BCS game early against Texas. Still can't believe he tried that one.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
An early onside kick would only mean we are in deep trouble.

The most uncharacteristic thing I ever remember seeing CNS do is the fake punt in the BCS game early against Texas. Still can't believe he tried that one.
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) -- With a game-opening onside kick to get things rolling and a John Parker Wilson-to-DJ Hall connection that never stopped, Alabama picked a fine time for its best game of the season.

The Crimson Tide's 41-17 victory over Tennessee (No. 21 BCS, No. 20 AP) Saturday turned into a rollicking debut for coach Nick Saban in the intense border rivalry that had been dominated lately by the Volunteers.
This wasn't the first time Saban has started a big game with the onside kick.

"We played Auburn at LSU once and I started the game out that way and the same thing happened," said Saban, a former LSU coach. "I think it was a tremendous momentum-getter for us."
It would mean Georgia's not being careful.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think we should run some quick tempo to confuse Georgia's defense and because they don't have the depth that Bama has. Georgia played great in the first half against LSU last year, but ran out of gas in the fourth quarter. Maybe, we will see Jesse Williams in the backfield pass blocking for AJ on key passing downs. I also would like to see Sims come in and run some option plays, but then try to burn Georgia deep.
I don't think we want to see Jesse trying to pass block. Being a road grader is one thing, but pass-blocking requires quite a long time to become proficient...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It would mean Georgia's not being careful.
Just can't see us taking a risk like that in a game like this no matter what because if it fails Murray is set up around midfield. If we are having to kick on side kicks early then we have had a quarter so bad it makes the first quarter against TAMU look good.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Just can't see us taking a risk like that in a game like this no matter what because if it fails Murray is set up around midfield. If we are having to kick on side kicks early then we have had a quarter so bad it makes the first quarter against TAMU look good.
It's not about "having" to kick onside kicks. It's about taking opportunities that are presented. If Georgia is playing normally, those opportunities won't be there. If they are going to give Saban a gift, then he's going to take it.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's not about "having" to kick onside kicks. It's about taking opportunities that are presented. If Georgia is playing normally, those opportunities won't be there. If they are going to give Saban a gift, then he's going to take it.
I hear ya, but it would still be a huge gamble even if they were being sloppy on kick-off coverage.

Now, a half-back pass on first down that fails is more than likely 2 and 10.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
If UGA is playing tight against the run like I think they will, we might run the flea flicker again. It's sort of like play action plus. Unfortunately, the guy I'd like to see it thrown to is Bell. But it has the effect of keeping the safeties a little more honest, too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.