1985 Bama / Georgia Game

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Anyone remember this one? I had just moved to Georgia and was only in school there two weeks. Had several people of course ask me where I was from. I told them Mobile, AL ... of course they reminded me how stupid I was and that sort of thing. Also, how UGA was going to beat Bama on opening night. Funny for me to see their faces the next morning.

The final minute had a textbook punt by UGA and a TD by them for it, but Shula was the man that night.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Nice trip back in time. Remember the TD play but forgot how the last minute or so transpired. Thanks for posting!

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Thanks for this. It reminds me of the perfect drive at the LSU game.
The LSU drive reminded me of that drive. They were almost identical.

I was at that game, and I was so mad at Perkins after that I could have chewed nails. I thought that Bama could have been doing that all night. Mike had thrown only 8 passes to that point, and now was being asked to move the ball 70 yards by....throwing passes! However, it turned out to be great practice for the barn game that year.:smile:

BillDee

3rd Team
Sep 7, 2010
Athens, GA
www.BillDunston.com
I was also at that game, one of the most exciting endings I've seen. I was sitting in the endzone and had a perfect view of the touchdown pass from Shula to Bell. I was in the middle of UGA fans and had their shakers in my face when UGA scored off the blocked kick. Didn't take long for our comeback and I had the last guffaw. Lots of sad UGA fans... I hope they are sad again Saturday.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
I remember it well. How sweet it was after falling behind what appeared to be a big Georgia comeback.

Al Bell is still one of our unsung heroes. Wonder what become of him????

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
I was a young teenager and everyone in my house had left to go somewhere that night and i stayed home to watch the game all by myself.

I could have bit nails when they blocked that kick, i still remember how mad i got, almost punched a hole in the wall.

But, it didn't take long for the Al Bell touchdown, great finish.

Al Becker

3rd Team
Jan 25, 2011
Trussville, Al.
Remember? How could I forget. Flew back in to Atl. from my honeymoon and had tix in the Bama section next to Mike Pitts who had graduated the previous year and I think was playing for the Falcons. He ran off some UGA fans who were being disrespectful to an older couple.

What a win! Witnessed some of the worst fans ever. Cussing thier own team at the bus and banging on the side. This was not long after they kept our team up all night in the team hotel a few years earlier. Sad bunch really.

CrimsonTut

1st Team
Jul 24, 2000
Franklin, TN
I remember this well. What a game!

I love the UGA players reactions on the sideline after they scored on the block. They thought they had it in the bag. Looking at this Alabama team, I don't think they would react the same way until the clock was at 0:00

BamaRV

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 19, 2007
Roswell, GA
I was at Bama at the time but went to the game and sat in the Georgia student section. I didn't think I was going to make it out of there until we scored at the end. The student section emptied very quickly after that. :)

Worst part was my girlfriend had a test on Tuesday morning so we had to drive straight back to T-town that night and got there just before her class.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I had a $100 bet with a girl who was a big Georgia fan. Late in the game when she thought Georgia was going to win she called me to gloat. I called her back a short time later to tell her never to count Bama out until the clock strikes zero. That $100 helped fund a night on Bourbon Street.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
How come ESPN classic didn't air this game this week? They have other games which are not even close to this one. I would have liked to have seen it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.