Pressure and Expectation are Opponents Too

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
Oregon and Kansas State found they can be tough to beat - and UGA now has to deal with them.

Just one of the reasons Bama and LSU are a notch above. The pressure and expectations, coupled to the SEC grind, cannot be navigated to a National Championship level by mentally weak teams.

Talent level will not foil UGA, but I think the mental and discipline aspects will.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Good point, but this Bama team has been in the grind for two years, maybe that will prove too much.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
There's no way to quantify the intangibles before a game starts other than saying so-and-so has an edge. Honestly, I think UGA has improved in this area. However, I still have to give a slight edge to Bama in this regard. There is something to be said about being a "dominant" team -- which Bama is. Reading Coach Saban's book (How good do you want to be?) reveals this as a silent yet acknowledged advantage to those who truly are dominant. If UGA is a "dominant" team, we'll see it on Saturday but if I had to bet on it, I'm wouldn't count on it. ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD
I think that this Saturday's game is made to order for Alabama. These special venue, high stakes games have been fertile ground for Alabama since Nick Saban arrived.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
The propensity for Richt to allow emotion to exacerbate the highs and lows of the UGA squad I think will do one of two things. Either they get psyched up and put 14 on the board before the UA workmanlike attitude allows them to start reeling them back in, or the UGA squad is so amped up that every player is trying to be "the guy" and end up making a huge mistake.

I don't think Saban will allow UA to come out flat like they did against TAMU. The stakes are too high for the team to not be focused.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
The propensity for Richt to allow emotion to exacerbate the highs and lows of the UGA squad I think will do one of two things. Either they get psyched up and put 14 on the board before the UA workmanlike attitude allows them to start reeling them back in, or the UGA squad is so amped up that every player is trying to be "the guy" and end up making a huge mistake.

I don't think Saban will allow UA to come out flat like they did against TAMU. The stakes are too high for the team to not be focused.
The Texas A&M game was exactly what we needed...it brought the team back to ground level. They all thought that their chance at a national title may have ended from one loss.

Now, they control their destiny again, and i think they'll come out hungry and mean. No way that Georgia does what A&M did, and I dont think the coaches will have a hard time getting them focused from the start of the game for this one.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.