Herbie on Finebaum Today

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
No, it is sometimes about the players executing the plays. We were very flat in the Texas A&M game...and the LSU game last year got into our players head.

Even AJ said today, that they (players) will treat this game like any other game. He felt they didn't last year and the hype of the "game of the century" got to them.

They need to be mentally prepared for Saturday.
You hit the nail on the head :smile:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Nobody has put successful consistent pressure on Manziel..
I'll also add that when you have the opposing team's quarterback sacked in the backfield and he runs into the back of one of this offensive linemen, fumbling the ball in the air and the ball just so happens to go straight up and come straight down, back into the qb's hands only to have him do a semicircle turn and throw to a wide open receiver in the endzone. It PROLLY ain't yo day.:biggrin:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
No battle plan survives the first contact with the enemy. Coaches can only do so much to get these guys ready to play. The rest is up to them.
Saban and company are the best in the business.
Lots of talk on sports radio today about how the GA defensive coordinator, Todd Grantham, a Saban protege, likes to "get cute" with his defenses and instead of attacking the offense back out and play soft zone defense. I hope that's what happens Saturday. Regardless, there's no doubt that Saban and Smart are much better than Richt and Grantham.
My favorite quote is quite similar.
'Everybody's tough until you punch them in the mouth'...
Things have a way of changing radically in the heat of battle or competition,
But you can regularly tilt things your way by being physical.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'll also add that when you have the opposing team's quarterback sacked in the backfield and he runs into the back of one of this offensive linemen, fumbling the ball in the air and the ball just so happens to go straight up and come straight down, back into the qb's hands only to have him do a semicircle turn and throw to a wide open receiver in the endzone. It PROLLY ain't yo day.:biggrin:
Every time I see that play, I cringe because I thought the drive ended with a sack. Vinnie obviously had the same feeling because he took off towards the LOS and left Swope wide open.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
LOL! I have to agree. After I saw that, I thought "Good Lord, what next?"

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
LOL! I have to agree. After I saw that, I thought "Good Lord, what next?"
All I could think was, The force is strong with this one. A Jedi, and apparently Manziel, can see the near future coming and react to it, and perhaps also move stuff with his mind. I hope we have a couple of Jedi knights at rush end next year in College Station.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Well losing the aTm game may end up being the motivation. Alabama needed to go all the way. It was hard for us when it happened, but really got this team concentrating on Every play.

When have you ever seen an Alabama team have the number of injuries we have this year?

When is the last time we saw an Alabama offense drive 7 times in a row for a TD?

This team is not like the 09 or 11 teams but they are very special bunch.

The game Saturday I think will be much like the 11 BCSNCG.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Well losing the aTm game may end up being the motivation. Alabama needed to go all the way. It was hard for us when it happened, but really got this team concentrating on Every play.

When have you ever seen an Alabama team have the number of injuries we have this year?

When is the last time we saw an Alabama offense drive 7 times in a row for a TD?

This team is not like the 09 or 11 teams but they are very special bunch.

The game Saturday I think will be much like the 11 BCSNCG.
I don't think the injuries this year are that much worse than most years honestly. There have been quite a few season ending ones I think that is what makes it stand out.

To me 2010 was worse with injuries mainly because they happened to the star players and all seemed to be lingering. Barret/Barron against AU really cost us. Dareus and Upshaw hobbled the entire year probably cost us another game as well. Fluker got knocked out of the USCe game. Ingram/Trent had issues all season. I'll take what we have had this year vs that year.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
All I could think was, The force is strong with this one. A Jedi, and apparently Manziel, can see the near future coming and react to it, and perhaps also move stuff with his mind. I hope we have a couple of Jedi knights at rush end next year in College Station.
we have the jedi master as coach this summer. next year in college station will be fun to watch as a bama fan.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I don't think the injuries this year are that much worse than most years honestly. There have been quite a few season ending ones I think that is what makes it stand out.

To me 2010 was worse with injuries mainly because they happened to the star players and all seemed to be lingering. Barret/Barron against AU really cost us. Dareus and Upshaw hobbled the entire year probably cost us another game as well. Fluker got knocked out of the USCe game. Ingram/Trent had issues all season. I'll take what we have had this year vs that year.
yeah, 2010 was tough, but with both fowler and white all season this year, our offense would have been magical

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Thought this too.

I also think it might help that Murray is a pocket passer with no big threat at all to run.
yeah, i've read a couple analyses that point out that aj is the better scrambler of the two. no knock against aj, but if he's the better of the two, that doesn't say much for murray.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
yeah, i've read a couple analyses that point out that aj is the better scrambler of the two. no knock against aj, but if he's the better of the two, that doesn't say much for murray.
Yeah, I really don't understand that I've seen games where Murray scrambles pretty effectively. He's actually pretty quick. Although I saw this more in 2010 than I saw it this year.

BFANLC

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In a dream world
I haven't watched too many TAMU games but I imagine we did as good of job as anybody collapsing the pocket but he just had too much elusiveness.
My guess is if we played again they wouldn't score 20 points on us so quickly seeing as how once adjustments came and the players got up to speed tamu wasn't as effective offensively.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
My guess is if we played again they wouldn't score 20 points on us so quickly seeing as how once adjustments came and the players got up to speed tamu wasn't as effective offensively.

We would also have run the ball more and not allowed TAMU to get that many snaps.

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009
He said that he thought the game would be won in the trenches between Georgia's offensive line and our defensive line.

The one concern he mentioned about the Tide is our inability to get teams off the field on third down as demonstrated against LSU and TAMU.
I heard the interview and thought he was spot on with these points. The success or failure of the Alabama pass rush will determine the outcome of the game.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I heard the interview and thought he was spot on with these points. The success or failure of the Alabama pass rush will determine the outcome of the game.
i would say more than that, that the success or failure of Alabama's running game will determine the outcome of the game. yeah, we need to pressure murray (and we will), but in three years, he's never consistently stepped up in big games.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
i would say more than that, that the success or failure of Alabama's running game will determine the outcome of the game. yeah, we need to pressure murray (and we will), but in three years, he's never consistently stepped up in big games.
And our running game can actually impact Georgia's passing game too. The more time we have the ball through long, clock-eating drives will be less time that Murray will have to operate. Also, the fewer times he has on offense the less likely they will be able to get into a offensive rhythm.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
And our running game can actually impact Georgia's passing game too. The more time we have the ball through long, clock-eating drives will be less time that Murray will have to operate. Also, the fewer times he has on offense the less likely they will be to get into a offensive rhythm.
he also seems to be the type to try and "make a play" and force things (and to be fair, bobo seems the same way). a good rushing effort by us could force them into that mode.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.