BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Names on jersyes at Bama...

A question for some of you who are knowledgeable about these things... which season did Bama start having last names on the jerseys? Any ideas?
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

2. Advertisement

Re: Names on jersyes at Bama...

It has gone back and forth. I believe Bryant put them on towards the end of his career. Perkins took them OFF because at the time we had never won a national championship with names on the back of the jerseys. I recall Perkins specifically mentioning this as his reason for removing the names.

But in '92 Stallings won a title with names on the jerseys. Afterwards, our coaches have concerned themselves with other matters...

BamaNation All-American banjeaux's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Notre Dame & Southern California don't have players names on jerseys. A google search suggests, that neither do Penn State, Temple, & Miami of Ohio. Others?
    Oh, Susanna. Oh, don't you cry for me, for I come from Alabama with a banjeaux on my knee. G'wan to Louisiana my true love for to see.

I like having them. It especially helps to identify players on the sidelines given the number of duplicate numerals that we have.

Penn St. started doing it this year with the arrival of their new coach.

In addition, their new jerseys also don a blue ribbon to show support for victims of child abuse
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The names help to differentiate between players ie...Fulton and AJ...
    Coach Bryant did it... Coach Perkins didn't...
    Coach Stallings also did it...

Coach Saban has been very successful with names on the jerseys. He's not likely to change.

Is it just me or does everyone notice how superstitious coaches tend to be.
    I'm not superstitious, I just wear the same T-Shirt and Red Alabama hat every game...
    If I still drank beer, I'd have the labels facing forward too.

BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I am grateful for names on jerseys. Those teams who leave them off tick me off! LOL!

Have you ever honestly had to try to figure out which #10 you were watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
    The names help to differentiate between players ie...Fulton and AJ...
    Coach Bryant did it... Coach Perkins didn't...
    Coach Stallings also did it...

Coach Saban has been very successful with names on the jerseys. He's not likely to change.

Is it just me or does everyone notice how superstitious coaches tend to be.
    I'm not superstitious, I just wear the same T-Shirt and Red Alabama hat every game...
    If I still drank beer, I'd have the labels facing forward too.
    "We have an opponent in this state that we work every day, 365 days a year, to dominate."

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by WMack4Bama View Post
    Penn St. started doing it this year with the arrival of their new coach.

In addition, their new jerseys also don a blue ribbon to show support for victims of child abuse
    I also noticed that this past weekend against Wisconsin, they added numerals to the sides of their helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkaboutSean View Post
    But in '92 Stallings won a title with names on the jerseys. Afterwards, our coaches have concerned themselves with other matters...
    LOL'ed at this ^

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    Tolerant on TideFans.com

We added them for the 1981 Cotton Bowl against Baylor. I was stationed in Oklahoma then and attended the game and noticed the change. (I also noticed that the Baylor fans who were trash talking as way walked into the stadium were much quieter as we walked out. 30-2 will do that.)

Perkins removed them in 1983 and I think Curry restored them in his first year, 1987.