Names on jersyes at Bama...

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010
It has gone back and forth. I believe Bryant put them on towards the end of his career. Perkins took them OFF because at the time we had never won a national championship with names on the back of the jerseys. I recall Perkins specifically mentioning this as his reason for removing the names.

But in '92 Stallings won a title with names on the jerseys. Afterwards, our coaches have concerned themselves with other matters... :)

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
I like having them. It especially helps to identify players on the sidelines given the number of duplicate numerals that we have.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Penn St. started doing it this year with the arrival of their new coach.

In addition, their new jerseys also don a blue ribbon to show support for victims of child abuse

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The names help to differentiate between players ie...Fulton and AJ...
Coach Bryant did it... Coach Perkins didn't...
Coach Stallings also did it...

Coach Saban has been very successful with names on the jerseys. He's not likely to change.

Is it just me or does everyone notice how superstitious coaches tend to be.
I'm not superstitious, I just wear the same T-Shirt and Red Alabama hat every game...
If I still drank beer, I'd have the labels facing forward too. ;)

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
Have you ever honestly had to try to figure out which #10 you were watching? :wink:

The names help to differentiate between players ie...Fulton and AJ...
Coach Bryant did it... Coach Perkins didn't...
Coach Stallings also did it...

Coach Saban has been very successful with names on the jerseys. He's not likely to change.

Is it just me or does everyone notice how superstitious coaches tend to be.
I'm not superstitious, I just wear the same T-Shirt and Red Alabama hat every game...
If I still drank beer, I'd have the labels facing forward too. ;)

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
We added them for the 1981 Cotton Bowl against Baylor. I was stationed in Oklahoma then and attended the game and noticed the change. (I also noticed that the Baylor fans who were trash talking as way walked into the stadium were much quieter as we walked out. 30-2 will do that.)

Perkins removed them in 1983 and I think Curry restored them in his first year, 1987.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.