Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Chris Black to make debut against Georgia

The likelihood he's going to play is pretty good. He's drilling at #4 or #5 in WR rotation during warmups. They'll do something to get the ball in his hand early and if he heats up, he'll probably be the choice over still developing Shinn and Cy. Jones throughout the game. He was further along than these two prior to injuries and I haven't really seen anything from Cy. Jones or Shinn right now that suggests they can help replace Bell. They could very well be great receivers one day, but they're raw right now. Black was, at the very worse, equal to Cooper in the Fall drills prior to his injury. He was going to be a contributor before and now he will get an opportunity nobody expected this year to contribute.

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Big A Re: Chris Black to make debut against Georgia

This is great. Get him on the field !!!
    "Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n." -- Houston Oiler head coach Bum Phillips, who played for coach Bryant

BamaNation All-American Airborne Tider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hot on TideFans.com

He is paired up with Norwood in drills this week...

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
    U.S. Army Pathfinders
    "First In, Last Out"

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Norwood is the starting Y receiver - I believe - and Bell was his former backup at Y.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Just one play and the redshirt is burned correct? RTR

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tideflyer View Post
    Personally, I`ll be surprised if he doesn`t get at least one ball thrown to him.
    if he burns a redshirt, and doesnt contribute more than being a decoy...thats quite a waste of a year

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hot on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Norwood is the starting Y receiver - I believe - and Bell was his former backup at Y.
    I'm not speculating on his spot in the rotation. Could very well be Nick just experimenting or, if the mind games thing is true, making it more legit for observers. We shall see.

U.S. Army Pathfinders
    "First In, Last Out"

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The thing is that sometimes the plays called and coverage by the defense might dictate the ball doesn't go his way enough to make an impact. The issue is that the pure depth of the position dictates one more scholarship athlete is needed.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Shocked on TideFans.com

Black is too good to be just a decoy, but it is well known that Saban demands more of his receivers than just running routes. Does anyone know anything about his downfield blocking ability?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hot on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    Black is too good to be just a decoy, but it is well known that Saban demands more of his receivers than just running routes. Does anyone know anything about his downfield blocking ability?
    I tend to lean towards this. I don't think Nick would burn his redshirt and not intend to throw it to him. I believe if he actually takes the field he will be a legitimate target and a threat to the UGA defense.

U.S. Army Pathfinders
    "First In, Last Out"

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne Tider View Post
    I tend to lean towards this. I don't think Nick would burn his redshirt and not intend to throw it to him. I believe if he actually takes the field he will be a legitimate target and a threat to the UGA defense.

I agree...seems unlikely that Saban would let him lose a year of eligibility to just play decoy.
    I do remember there was a lot of hype about his progress in the spring, so I'm excited to see him play in a big game...

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Our offense is more open in terms of where McCarron directs the ball. We aren't running a lot of "decoy routes" rather the routes that get covered aren't targeted. If UGA plays the deep ball off play action and aggressively attacks the crossing routes then Black might not make many plays but in theory that would open things up for other guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    if he burns a redshirt, and doesnt contribute more than being a decoy...thats quite a waste of a year
    I guess this bears repeating, since the idea of a "wasted year" keeps coming up. The odds that this will be a wasted year are very long. He can go pro as soon as his senior HS class has completed three years of eligibility. Guys with his level of ability almost always opt to do that, as it makes good economic sense. The only reason he would stay - or use - that fifth year would be another injury, generally a season-ending one. That is the only risk Chris and his family are taking and that's what why Saban was consulting with them. If Saban says that Chris can help them team, then, to me, that means he plays...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus