Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 79 to 91 of 150
  1. #79
    BamaNation All-SEC CoolBreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Hoover
    Posts
    1,121
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Cool Re: Chris Black to make debut against Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    I don't want to be a nay sayer or negative at all but I can't imagine him being much of a factor, not because he doesn't have the ability to be one, I just know from past experience that Coach Saban is not going to give a youngster dressing for his first game a ton of opportunities in such a big game. He's going to rely on the more experienced receivers like Norwood, Jones, Williams, and a now seasoned freshman like Cooper and possibly Cyrus Jones. I personally don't think Chris will see the field at all unless one of the afore mentioned are injured and again, I honestly hope he's not needed.
    Does he want to play and give up his red shirt? OF course he does. He's a football player.
    But in the long run it's better for him that he be red shirted and I think that will end up being what happens.

    sip
    I reaspectfully disagree with you Sip. Chris looked good, really good in the Spring. Black and his folks have spoken with the coach about giving up the shirt positively. Heck, Coach even made a point of saying the shirt is coming off. I just believe that UGA will be keying on Cooper (not that it matters) so that is going to leave Chris Black WIDE OPEN. I expect we will see Chris on the field from the very first snap.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

    Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

  2. Advertisement
  3. #80
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Posts
    8,061
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Chris Black to make debut against Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by Florida Tom View Post
    Sip,
    i always appreciate your view but this time I differ a bit. CB is an incredible talent. He must be doing things in practice that has really got CNS attention.

    I think you see him & Cooper running down the field.

    Just because he has worked so hard to come back & shows this kind of heart, I hope he gets to show what he can do.

    Kid like this can spark a team to an absolute blow out of GA.
    FT....if he does indeed play then I certainly hope you are right. I hope he catches 10 passes for 240 yards and three touch downs.
    As I said, "I don't want to be a nay sayer".
    I guess what I'm trying to say is this.......I hope he doesn't play unless he is indeed going to be given the opportunity to be a contributor.
    I'd hate to see him lose a year of eligibility to bring in the play call on three running plays and to never have the ball thrown in his direction even one time. Any receiver on our roster can do that.
    Make sense?
    That being said, the reason I said "I don't think he'll see the field" is because I think Coach Saban would prefer to save the red shirt unless this youngster proves to be needed and I hope he isn't.

  4. #81
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    1,960
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Chris Black to make debut against Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    I don't want to be a nay sayer or negative at all but I can't imagine him being much of a factor, not because he doesn't have the ability to be one, I just know from past experience that Coach Saban is not going to give a youngster dressing for his first game a ton of opportunities in such a big game. He's going to rely on the more experienced receivers like Norwood, Jones, Williams, and a now seasoned freshman like Cooper and possibly Cyrus Jones. I personally don't think Chris will see the field at all unless one of the afore mentioned are injured and again, I honestly hope he's not needed.
    Does he want to play and give up his red shirt? OF course he does. He's a football player.
    But in the long run it's better for him that he be red shirted and I think that will end up being what happens.

    sip
    I don't think your point about a youngster is even true. Christion Jones came in against LSU in the national championship game. Yeldon played a ton against Michigan. Hightower started in 08. The list goes on and on of freshman who have played in huge games early in their careers.

    We honestly don't have enough receivers right now. I don't think Coach is messing around and not going to play him. Why would he be getting practice time at the 5th slot if he isn't gonna play?

  5. #82
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    42,034
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Chris Black to make debut against Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    I don't think he will. That's what I was saying. Just because he dresses doesn't mean he's going to play, and I don't think he'll see the field, thus not burning the redshirt..
    Sipp, in this particular case, I think you're dead wrong, and, as I've explained above several times, the red shirt is a totally dead issue in this case...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

  6. #83
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Posts
    8,061
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Chris Black to make debut against Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by CoolBreeze View Post
    I reaspectfully disagree with you Sip. Chris looked good, really good in the Spring. Black and his folks have spoken with the coach about giving up the shirt positively. Heck, Coach even made a point of saying the shirt is coming off. I just believe that UGA will be keying on Cooper (not that it matters) so that is going to leave Chris Black WIDE OPEN. I expect we will see Chris on the field from the very first snap.
    So you think Coach Saban is going to bench Norwood or Christion Jones for the SEC Championship Game in order to start a kid who's never dressed out in a Bama uniform?

    Hey, you're just fired up and that's cool! Let's just hope if he does play that he makes a big play or two and helps us win.

    sip

  7. #84
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    42,034
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Chris Black to make debut against Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    FT....if he does indeed play then I certainly hope you are right. I hope he catches 10 passes for 240 yards and three touch downs.
    As I said, "I don't want to be a nay sayer".
    I guess what I'm trying to say is this.......I hope he doesn't play unless he is indeed going to be given the opportunity to be a contributor.
    I'd hate to see him lose a year of eligibility to bring in the play call on three running plays and to never have the ball thrown in his direction even one time. Any receiver on our roster can do that.
    Make sense?
    That being said, the reason I said "I don't think he'll see the field" is because I think Coach Saban would prefer to save the red shirt unless this youngster proves to be needed and I hope he isn't.
    Please read my posts above. He will never have a red shirt year, barring yet another injury...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

  8. #85
    BamaNation First Team marcusroby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    auburn,al usa
    Posts
    361
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Please read my posts above. He will never have a red shirt year, barring yet another injury...
    I don't think some are quite getting what you are saying. I do however, however understand that this is a different time for the program. Most kids that are exceptional will not be here 4a seasons much less 5.

  9. #86
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Posts
    8,061
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Chris Black to make debut against Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Sipp, in this particular case, I think you're dead wrong, and, as I've explained above several times, the red shirt is a totally dead issue in this case...
    Earle, I understand because of the kids ability and probable future that the red shirt probably means nothing. Agreed in total.

    There's just this gut feeling that Coach Saban really and truly doesn't want to play him if he doesn't have to...in part because he hasn't been there the entire season and , right or wrong, the players that have been might feel a bit of resentment.

    Kinda like, "Dance with the girl who brung ya to the dance".

    Ultimately, if he plays I hope he kills it. If he doesn't, I'll be thankful that he has at least the possibility of another year.

    There's no negative side from me, I was just trying to look at from the way Saban normally looks at it, which I'm not really capable of doing...lol...

  10. #87
    BamaNation First Team Snuffy Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    958
    Post Thanks / Like

    Chris Black to make debut against Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    Earle, I understand because of the kids ability and probable future that the red shirt probably means nothing. Agreed in total.

    There's just this gut feeling that Coach Saban really and truly doesn't want to play him if he doesn't have to...in part because he hasn't been there the entire season and , right or wrong, the players that have been might feel a bit of resentment.

    Kinda like, "Dance with the girl who brung ya to the dance".

    Ultimately, if he plays I hope he kills it. If he doesn't, I'll be thankful that he has at least the possibility of another year.

    There's no negative side from me, I was just trying to look at from the way Saban normally looks at it, which I'm not really capable of doing...lol...
    I definitely understand this & for this reason I don't expect to see him in with the first rotation. I do expect to see him at some point early. If he gets open and makes some big plays I would expect to see more of him as the game goes on.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #88
    BamaNation All-SEC MOAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Swearengin, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    1,739
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Chris Black to make debut against Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    Earle, I understand because of the kids ability and probable future that the red shirt probably means nothing. Agreed in total.

    There's just this gut feeling that Coach Saban really and truly doesn't want to play him if he doesn't have to...in part because he hasn't been there the entire season and , right or wrong, the players that have been might feel a bit of resentment.

    Kinda like, "Dance with the girl who brung ya to the dance".

    Ultimately, if he plays I hope he kills it. If he doesn't, I'll be thankful that he has at least the possibility of another year.

    There's no negative side from me, I was just trying to look at from the way Saban normally looks at it, which I'm not really capable of doing...lol...
    One of the girls that got us to this point in the dance, (Kenny Bell), is gone. Chris Black will not be taking anything away from Amari Cooper, Kevin Norwood, Christian Jones, Cyrus Jones or Marvin Shinn. He will be taking the place of Kenny Bell. There should not be any resentment at all by the others because he will not be taking anything away from them that they already didn't have.

    Saban has looked at it and has decided to pull the shirt possibility for this season alone. He will not lose a redshirt just won't be taking it this season and if coach Saban is ok with it who are we to question it?That is if you are trying to look at it from the way Saban normally looks at it.

    And ya know he could just change his mind if things work out right!

  12. #89
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    42,034
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Chris Black to make debut against Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    Earle, I understand because of the kids ability and probable future that the red shirt probably means nothing. Agreed in total.

    There's just this gut feeling that Coach Saban really and truly doesn't want to play him if he doesn't have to...in part because he hasn't been there the entire season and , right or wrong, the players that have been might feel a bit of resentment.

    Kinda like, "Dance with the girl who brung ya to the dance".

    Ultimately, if he plays I hope he kills it. If he doesn't, I'll be thankful that he has at least the possibility of another year.

    There's no negative side from me, I was just trying to look at from the way Saban normally looks at it, which I'm not really capable of doing...lol...
    First, I've never said anything about his starting. Second, resentment from other players about a guy who's been hurt all year and is finally getting his chance is just a non-starter. I'm not even sure where that remark's coming from, unless you're just desperate to make a point. The other players' tweets have shown that they're very excited for him, which is the way Saban builds a "team first" attitude. Finally, Saban has a long history of playing freshmen when they're ready, the family's on board and there is no reason to preserve the illusion of a fifth year in this case. BTW, I'm going on the facts - not on a "gut feeling..."
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

  13. #90
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Posts
    8,061
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Chris Black to make debut against Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide1224 View Post
    I don't think your point about a youngster is even true. Christion Jones came in against LSU in the national championship game. Yeldon played a ton against Michigan. Hightower started in 08. The list goes on and on of freshman who have played in huge games early in their careers.

    We honestly don't have enough receivers right now. I don't think Coach is messing around and not going to play him. Why would he be getting practice time at the 5th slot if he isn't gonna play?
    They all started the season, played all season and weren't asked to dress for their first game in the SEC Championship Game and to be an immediate major factor. Coach Saban has never expected that out of any player and I don't think he'll start doing so on Saturday. This is a different scenario than a true freshman starting or playing a ton all season. This youngster has never even warmed up before a game!!
    I think I'll shut up now because I don't think anyone is understanding where I'm coming from.
    It's not about Chris Black. It's about Nick Saban.
    Let's just beat Georgia.
    My goodness I didn't think I could create so much controversy lol...
    I guess we shall see.
    Roll Tide all!
    sip

  14. #91
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    42,034
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Chris Black to make debut against Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    They all started the season, played all season and weren't asked to dress for their first game in the SEC Championship Game and to be an immediate major factor. Coach Saban has never expected that out of any player and I don't think he'll start doing so on Saturday. This is a different scenario than a true freshman starting or playing a ton all season. This youngster has never even warmed up before a game!!
    I think I'll shut up now because I don't think anyone is understanding where I'm coming from.
    It's not about Chris Black. It's about Nick Saban.
    Let's just beat Georgia.
    My goodness I didn't think I could create so much controversy lol...
    I guess we shall see.
    Roll Tide all!
    sip
    No, he just asked a freshman who'd never fielded a punt in a college game to field punts in a NCG. Think about it...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!