Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chris Black to make debut against Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Tom View Post
    Dont get mad at us,man you are one of the main reasons I joined this board. You are a Real Bama fan!

I just got a chance to see this kid play in HS & I am probably over excited. He is something Great.

I really do get what you are saying & would be with you but the loss of Bell I think changed everything.

We gonna beat GA & CB will be a big part of it, not a decoy.
    This game is gonna be exciting!
    Roll Tide!
    I'm not mad at ANYBODY!!! lol...did I type something that was misconstrued badly??

I'm truly not understanding the misunderstandings.

I think I'm gonna rent a room at a Holiday Inn Express tonight so I can figure it out

I'm cool with every opinion on this thread FT.

sip

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American 230kv_barehand's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I'm gonna say Black gets possibly up to 3 catches if he plays any meaningful time (which is great if he gets that many catches IMHO)

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I don't imagine that we're going to open up the game with Black on the field unless we play empty with 5-WR personnel (which by the way, almost every time we play empty it is either 4-WR/1-Back or 3-WR,1-TE, 1-Back). I could be very wrong, but I think the standard 3-WR personnel is pretty well set with Cooper (X), Norwood (Y), Ch. Jones (Z). I get the feeling that Black will probably be the first guy off the bench for Norwood at Y, which is just what Bell did often this season. There is a possibility Shinn comes on the field first as a spell guy simple to block the perimeter on a stretch run.

Either way, Black is probably going to see the field around 20 snaps this Saturday and what he does with those 20 or so snaps is wholly up to him and his god given talent.
    Last edited by rgw; November 29th, 2012 at 08:36 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

As for what I expect from Black considering I have him slotted for around 20 snaps. It is hard to gauge. He was a star at receiver on A-Day and was supposedly ahead of Cooper in terms of Freshmen before going down. This is saying a lot because I thought Amari Cooper was an instant contributor from the first time I saw him in one of those HS All-Star games...I didn't even realize he was a Bama commit until late in that game. Still, the last time he's been in a real game was last Fall in high school. The stakes are much higher and the level of competition is unlike anything he's probably seen in a real game.

There is a good chance that if Black never was injured that it would be he not Cooper that is the leading receiver right now. Cooper developed into that threat...it happened quickly but it still took a few games of significant action. The realistic hope is that he makes one or two underneath catches and turns them for a first down or an explosive play...a cross, hook, screen, etc. If we can get some quality field stretching plays from him, it's all gravy. Hopefully he can help the team win the game and allow him to develop into a threat by the BCSCG.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    Either that or I should replace Finebaumn...LOL This one got kinda sorta out of hand.

I know Coach Saban's job is to win championships.

At the same time, all I was saying, is that my gut feeling is that he will give the players who have gone through every game the entire season the first opportunity to show they can get the job done before he places such a big burden on a youngster who hasn't played a down.

That's it. That's all it was.

If it turns into a situation where he's needed, then absolutely play the young man!

I just said, "I hope we don't need him"..and I'd be surprised if anybody hoped we did.

He could break his leg in the first series next season and that redshirt would suddenly become important, not for the team, but for Chris.

That's what I think Coach Saban looks at and that's why I think he'll try to sit him if possible.

That's all.

Sip
    In that instance, he would be a cinch to get an additional year through a medical redshirt...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    As for what I expect from Black considering I have him slotted for around 20 snaps. It is hard to gauge. He was a star at receiver on A-Day and was supposedly ahead of Cooper in terms of Freshmen before going down. This is saying a lot because I thought Amari Cooper was an instant contributor from the first time I saw him in one of those HS All-Star games...I didn't even realize he was a Bama commit until late in that game. Still, the last time he's been in a real game was last Fall in high school. The stakes are much higher and the level of competition is unlike anything he's probably seen in a real game.

There is a good chance that if Black never was injured that it would be he not Cooper that is the leading receiver right now. Cooper developed into that threat...it happened quickly but it still took a few games of significant action. The realistic hope is that he makes one or two underneath catches and turns them for a first down or an explosive play...a cross, hook, screen, etc. If we can get some quality field stretching plays from him, it's all gravy. Hopefully he can help the team win the game and allow him to develop into a threat by the BCSCG.
    I think that's exactly the reason he's a cinch to play (in addition to CNS's remarks). He'll be in to scare UGA into covering two deep ball threats, which we lost when Bell went down. The reason he needs to play - and CNS has said he can help the team - is so clear that I'm totally startled with all the contra opinion about wasting a year, not playing unless we lose yet a third receiver, etc. The guy is going to play. It's yet to be determined as to his role...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation All-American BamaMoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    Synopsis!!

I'm not saying he should play. I'm not saying he shouldn't play.

I don't care if he plays or not.

If he does I hope he has a great game.

My every post was simply trying to say that I would be surprised if Saban played him.

That's all, that's it, and if I'm wrong so be it and good If I'm right, who cares, as long as we win

sip
    Calling it right now. If you are wrong and we lose it is your fault.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Man, if you'd told me 6 years ago we'd be having a spirited debate about whether they'll pull the shirt off a 4* lightning-fast receiver like this to hopefully whip the Bulldogs and the Irish for championship #15, I would've fallen to my knees and begged for it to be true.

This kid has been running great routes and catching balls for somewhere between 5-15 years, right? Looking forward to watching him wear out the Dawgs and completely torch the little Leprechauns.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MBA_99 View Post
    Man, if you'd told me 6 years ago we'd be having a spirited debate about whether they'll pull the shirt off a 4* lightning-fast receiver like this to hopefully whip the Bulldogs and the Irish for championship #15, I would've fallen to my knees and begged for it to be true.

This kid has been running great routes and catching balls for somewhere between 5-15 years, right? Looking forward to watching him wear out the Dawgs and completely torch the little Leprechauns.
    yeah, in the video i saw of him as a 4-year old, he was tearing up the pee wee leagues
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they dont have to worry about the answers.

Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MBA_99 View Post
    Amen.

Preach it, reverend.

Can I get a witness.

BamaNation All-SEC Bamafan P.T.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    yeah, in the video i saw of him as a 4-year old, he was tearing up the pee wee leagues
    I think Chris Black should return kick off's, punts, start at wide out, run 3 reverses and have the ball thrown to him 10 + times. Any thing less than 2 TD's on the night is a waste of a burnt shirt.
    RTR!
    The Legend of Chris Black.....

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I didn't see much of Black other than the A-Day game whereas I saw Cooper play in one of those high school all-star games. I could tell Cooper had the "it factor" guys at his position are either born with or will never have. Not only could he run routes better than a guy his age, but he had great ability to high point the ball amongst a crowd along with the ability to take a short pass and make open field plays. Some guys are good at making acrobatic catches but they aren't an open field runner type. He could do it all and it tickled me when I had just got done thinking to myself "jeez, I hope we're recruiting this guy" only to hear the commentators say he was committed to us already. Think about how he has developed with McCarron this season: we started him out with simple bubble screen calls just to use his open field ability, now the kid is running timing patterns to the sideline like an upperclassman. He's not the physical talent Julio Jones was for us but he's miles ahead of Julio at 19 years old in terms of playing the WR position.

Black was outperforming Cooper leading up to his injury, so just off what my opinion of Cooper was coming into Alabama...that is impressive. My opinion of Cooper was high from the outset, he's pretty much lived up to everything I thought he could be if given an opportunity but Black was ahead of him. Do I expect Black, who hasn't play 12 college football games like Cooper, to still be ahead of Cooper? Not at all, but the pure physical talent is there.

Now with all that hype, I need to remind everyone that I don't think Chris Black is going to be a difference maker in this game. We need his abilities on the field because 5 scholarships receivers (without him playing) is way too thin for a team that basically plays a base 3-WR set. If he can make just one play like that screen Kenny Bell had in the first drive of the second half in the BCSCG, he's more than filled his role. Anything over a few catches and/or first downs, is pure house money. Still, the guy has too much talent to be sitting - given the current depth - if he's healthy and we're one step away from an SEC title and BCSCG bid.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Having two guys out there that can legitimately stretch the field and get behind the defense will make a huge difference.

Do you keep the safeties back to prevent that from happening?

Or out of respect for our run do you bring an extra man down?

It potentially puts UGA in a tough spot, not to mention the dimensions it adds to our play action.
    Last edited by Nolan; November 29th, 2012 at 10:53 PM.
    ---------------------------------------

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

Robert Frost