News Article: Chris Black to make debut against Georgia

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
Alabama freshman wideout Chris Black will be on the sidelines and ready to play Saturday afternoon when the No. 2-ranked Crimson Tide face No. 3 Georgia in the SEC Championship Game, according to coach Nick Saban. The staff had been weighing whether or not to burn the speedy receiver's redshirt before this week. A number of injuries at the position, most notably the loss of DeAndrew Whiteand Kenny Bell for the season, forced the staff's hand. "The decision was made with him and his family, not just by me," Saban said on Wednesday. "Chris wants to play and can help the team by playing." Black, who was expected to contribute this season before injuring his shoulder during fall camp, has practiced in contact drills all week in preparation of the conference title game. The 5-foot-11, 178-pound product of Jacksonville, Fla., was an early enrollee and completed spring camp. "We're trying to get Chris ready to play and he's had good carry over from what he knew before," Saban said.
LINK

Also
Daily Bama Blog Link

He will be 4th or 5th in rotation, apparanly...

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I have to think if Saban is willing to burn this kid's red shirt at this stage in the season then he truly believes he will touch the ball and contribute.
Yep. It'd be a shame to burn it and not. I'm glad CNS discussed it with the family. I figure he's not going to jump right in, but be ready to go depending on what's happening.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It would be quite the story if he makes a big splash in this game. More importantly, if having him gives a strategical advantage...even if he doesn't catch a pass it will be worth it.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
It would be quite the story if he makes a big splash in this game. More importantly, if having him gives a strategical advantage...even if he doesn't catch a pass it will be worth it.
Personally, I`ll be surprised if he doesn`t get at least one ball thrown to him.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
Blinding speed and good hands. I sure hope it works out for the young man.. and the team. CNS did it at LSU, in the 2001 seccg with true fresman corner Travis Daniels, 4th round draft pick, still in pro ball with the K C Chiefs.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
I was watching his highlight reel from his JR year in HS. Kid is a great talent. Amazingly quick and great hands.

Could be another Prothro.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
What does playing a freshman coming off injury say about the other WRs on the depth chart? I agree that this is an "all hands on deck" situation, but I hope the other WRs make his play unneccessary.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I don't know what is best for Chris but if Coach & his parents so go I'm good.

I can tell you this I thought he would be better than Cooper form watching him on the Sunshine network here.
he committed early & never wavered.

Kid has a Bama heart & has worked hard so let him show his talents Saturday.

I don't think GA has seen anything like a Cooper/Black threat with AJ accuracy

BamaQ

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 1999
Savannah, GA
CB will now get to play in the SEC Championship and possibly in the BCS Championship games. I think this opportunity is worth burning a redshirt season. I really hope this works out well for him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.