News Article: Chris Black to make debut against Georgia

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
IIRC, Chris has been electronically timed as low as 4.38. I believe Bell was timed around 4.5, which is plenty fast. That was my reason for saying "slightly faster" earlier. Both are blazing fast, and there would be very few DBs who could hope to react after a move and catch up...
That time would be better if done with a stopwatch. Wow, that's fast.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Black has speed that can't really be replicated by anyone on the roster other than maybe Belue. I always caution against reading too much in 40-yard times because the receiver position is really not played in straight line speed but quick hip movement and clean change of direction. Bell has become a consistent threat this season compared to the last few years where he'd make one big play then disappear for games at time because he cleaned up his route running and technique. I felt he got pushed off his routes too much last year...either veering him off where McCarron wanted to go over the middle or simply getting played into the 12th defender (the sideline). Black may face the same issues, he's a young guy...his pure speed is lethal though if teams let him get some free releases.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
This is like the best thread all year!

What a story if it plays out!

Appears to me Chris was just hammering the coaches to get in there.

Hey, Coach I'm good let me help, I can help, you'll see!

This kid plays like the heart he has, we may see a record day in receptions!

Roll Tide!
This is almost like an early Christmas present.:smile:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Black has speed that can't really be replicated by anyone on the roster other than maybe Belue. I always caution against reading too much in 40-yard times because the receiver position is really not played in straight line speed but quick hip movement and clean change of direction. Bell has become a consistent threat this season compared to the last few years where he'd make one big play then disappear for games at time because he cleaned up his route running and technique. I felt he got pushed off his routes too much last year...either veering him off where McCarron wanted to go over the middle or simply getting played into the 12th defender (the sideline). Black may face the same issues, he's a young guy...his pure speed is lethal though if teams let him get some free releases.
Watching him in the practice vids this week, he is crazy quick, crisp and smooth in and out of his cuts

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
This is like the best thread all year!

What a story if it plays out!

Appears to me Chris was just hammering the coaches to get in there.

Hey, Coach I'm good let me help, I can help, you'll see!

This kid plays like the heart he has, we may see a record day in receptions!

Roll Tide!
I seem to recall CNS making specific mention - in a presser shortly after the injury - of how badly Chris had been itchin' to play, and of how devastating this was for the kid.

So you're probably bang on...

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
CB will now get to play in the SEC Championship and possibly in the BCS Championship games. I think this opportunity is worth burning a redshirt season. I really hope this works out well for him.
especially if his presence is a difference maker in winning and not.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Just put Vogler in the slot and throw it where no one else can reach it. He'd be a good blocker, also.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
especially if his presence is a difference maker in winning and not.
I don't want to be a nay sayer or negative at all but I can't imagine him being much of a factor, not because he doesn't have the ability to be one, I just know from past experience that Coach Saban is not going to give a youngster dressing for his first game a ton of opportunities in such a big game. He's going to rely on the more experienced receivers like Norwood, Jones, Williams, and a now seasoned freshman like Cooper and possibly Cyrus Jones. I personally don't think Chris will see the field at all unless one of the afore mentioned are injured and again, I honestly hope he's not needed.
Does he want to play and give up his red shirt? OF course he does. He's a football player.
But in the long run it's better for him that he be red shirted and I think that will end up being what happens.

sip

marcusroby

1st Team
Jan 7, 2004
auburn,al usa
C.Black came for this type situation. What I have been toldis this, he would have started alongside Cooper from day way if those two had not gotten injured. It was said because they have a work ethic and desire that is much like Julio. Coach Saban loves it. When you mix talent with burning desire, you get all-american type players.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I don't want to be a nay sayer or negative at all but I can't imagine him being much of a factor, not because he doesn't have the ability to be one, I just know from past experience that Coach Saban is not going to give a youngster dressing for his first game a ton of opportunities in such a big game. He's going to rely on the more experienced receivers like Norwood, Jones, Williams, and a now seasoned freshman like Cooper and possibly Cyrus Jones. I personally don't think Chris will see the field at all unless one of the afore mentioned are injured and again, I honestly hope he's not needed.
Does he want to play and give up his red shirt? OF course he does. He's a football player.
But in the long run it's better for him that he be red shirted and I think that will end up being what happens.

sip
Then why burn the redshirt in the first place? This isn't gamesmanship.

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
I doubt he plays unless we absolutely need him to, Saban will use him only as a precautionary measure.
He's going to play. I don't know if he'll be featured, but he'll run some routes. If having that type of speed is something that's needed in order to keep the same formations on the field, and have the same types of outlets...he'll play. And with AJ McCarron if he's open, he'll get the ball. Deandrew and Kenny's ability to stretch the field were important to the success of our offense. Bowman isn't that type of guy.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Sip,
i always appreciate your view but this time I differ a bit. CB is an incredible talent. He must be doing things in practice that has really got CNS attention.

I think you see him & Cooper running down the field.

Just because he has worked so hard to come back & shows this kind of heart, I hope he gets to show what he can do.

Kid like this can spark a team to an absolute blow out of GA.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

sip
I reaspectfully disagree with you Sip. Chris looked good, really good in the Spring. Black and his folks have spoken with the coach about giving up the shirt positively. Heck, Coach even made a point of saying the shirt is coming off. I just believe that UGA will be keying on Cooper (not that it matters) so that is going to leave Chris Black WIDE OPEN. I expect we will see Chris on the field from the very first snap.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Sip,
i always appreciate your view but this time I differ a bit. CB is an incredible talent. He must be doing things in practice that has really got CNS attention.

I think you see him & Cooper running down the field.

Just because he has worked so hard to come back & shows this kind of heart, I hope he gets to show what he can do.

Kid like this can spark a team to an absolute blow out of GA.
FT....if he does indeed play then I certainly hope you are right. I hope he catches 10 passes for 240 yards and three touch downs.
As I said, "I don't want to be a nay sayer".
I guess what I'm trying to say is this.......I hope he doesn't play unless he is indeed going to be given the opportunity to be a contributor.
I'd hate to see him lose a year of eligibility to bring in the play call on three running plays and to never have the ball thrown in his direction even one time. Any receiver on our roster can do that.
Make sense?
That being said, the reason I said "I don't think he'll see the field" is because I think Coach Saban would prefer to save the red shirt unless this youngster proves to be needed and I hope he isn't.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.