News Article: Chris Black to make debut against Georgia

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I don't want to be a nay sayer or negative at all but I can't imagine him being much of a factor, not because he doesn't have the ability to be one, I just know from past experience that Coach Saban is not going to give a youngster dressing for his first game a ton of opportunities in such a big game. He's going to rely on the more experienced receivers like Norwood, Jones, Williams, and a now seasoned freshman like Cooper and possibly Cyrus Jones. I personally don't think Chris will see the field at all unless one of the afore mentioned are injured and again, I honestly hope he's not needed.
Does he want to play and give up his red shirt? OF course he does. He's a football player.
But in the long run it's better for him that he be red shirted and I think that will end up being what happens.

sip
I don't think your point about a youngster is even true. Christion Jones came in against LSU in the national championship game. Yeldon played a ton against Michigan. Hightower started in 08. The list goes on and on of freshman who have played in huge games early in their careers.

We honestly don't have enough receivers right now. I don't think Coach is messing around and not going to play him. Why would he be getting practice time at the 5th slot if he isn't gonna play?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't think he will. That's what I was saying. Just because he dresses doesn't mean he's going to play, and I don't think he'll see the field, thus not burning the redshirt..
Sipp, in this particular case, I think you're dead wrong, and, as I've explained above several times, the red shirt is a totally dead issue in this case...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I reaspectfully disagree with you Sip. Chris looked good, really good in the Spring. Black and his folks have spoken with the coach about giving up the shirt positively. Heck, Coach even made a point of saying the shirt is coming off. I just believe that UGA will be keying on Cooper (not that it matters) so that is going to leave Chris Black WIDE OPEN. I expect we will see Chris on the field from the very first snap.
So you think Coach Saban is going to bench Norwood or Christion Jones for the SEC Championship Game in order to start a kid who's never dressed out in a Bama uniform? :)

Hey, you're just fired up and that's cool! Let's just hope if he does play that he makes a big play or two and helps us win.

sip

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
FT....if he does indeed play then I certainly hope you are right. I hope he catches 10 passes for 240 yards and three touch downs.
As I said, "I don't want to be a nay sayer".
I guess what I'm trying to say is this.......I hope he doesn't play unless he is indeed going to be given the opportunity to be a contributor.
I'd hate to see him lose a year of eligibility to bring in the play call on three running plays and to never have the ball thrown in his direction even one time. Any receiver on our roster can do that.
Make sense?
That being said, the reason I said "I don't think he'll see the field" is because I think Coach Saban would prefer to save the red shirt unless this youngster proves to be needed and I hope he isn't.
Please read my posts above. He will never have a red shirt year, barring yet another injury...

marcusroby

1st Team
Jan 7, 2004
auburn,al usa
Please read my posts above. He will never have a red shirt year, barring yet another injury...
I don't think some are quite getting what you are saying. I do however, however understand that this is a different time for the program. Most kids that are exceptional will not be here 4a seasons much less 5.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Sipp, in this particular case, I think you're dead wrong, and, as I've explained above several times, the red shirt is a totally dead issue in this case...
Earle, I understand because of the kids ability and probable future that the red shirt probably means nothing. Agreed in total.

There's just this gut feeling that Coach Saban really and truly doesn't want to play him if he doesn't have to...in part because he hasn't been there the entire season and , right or wrong, the players that have been might feel a bit of resentment.

Kinda like, "Dance with the girl who brung ya to the dance".

Ultimately, if he plays I hope he kills it. If he doesn't, I'll be thankful that he has at least the possibility of another year.

There's no negative side from me, I was just trying to look at from the way Saban normally looks at it, which I'm not really capable of doing...lol...:)

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Earle, I understand because of the kids ability and probable future that the red shirt probably means nothing. Agreed in total.

There's just this gut feeling that Coach Saban really and truly doesn't want to play him if he doesn't have to...in part because he hasn't been there the entire season and , right or wrong, the players that have been might feel a bit of resentment.

Ultimately, if he plays I hope he kills it. If he doesn't, I'll be thankful that he has at least the possibility of another year.

There's no negative side from me, I was just trying to look at from the way Saban normally looks at it, which I'm not really capable of doing...lol...:)
I definitely understand this & for this reason I don't expect to see him in with the first rotation. I do expect to see him at some point early. If he gets open and makes some big plays I would expect to see more of him as the game goes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

One of the girls that got us to this point in the dance, (Kenny Bell), is gone. Chris Black will not be taking anything away from Amari Cooper, Kevin Norwood, Christian Jones, Cyrus Jones or Marvin Shinn. He will be taking the place of Kenny Bell. There should not be any resentment at all by the others because he will not be taking anything away from them that they already didn't have.

Saban has looked at it and has decided to pull the shirt possibility for this season alone. He will not lose a redshirt just won't be taking it this season and if coach Saban is ok with it who are we to question it?That is if you are trying to look at it from the way Saban normally looks at it. ;)

And ya know he could just change his mind if things work out right! :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

First, I've never said anything about his starting. Second, resentment from other players about a guy who's been hurt all year and is finally getting his chance is just a non-starter. I'm not even sure where that remark's coming from, unless you're just desperate to make a point. The other players' tweets have shown that they're very excited for him, which is the way Saban builds a "team first" attitude. Finally, Saban has a long history of playing freshmen when they're ready, the family's on board and there is no reason to preserve the illusion of a fifth year in this case. BTW, I'm going on the facts - not on a "gut feeling..."

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I don't think your point about a youngster is even true. Christion Jones came in against LSU in the national championship game. Yeldon played a ton against Michigan. Hightower started in 08. The list goes on and on of freshman who have played in huge games early in their careers.

We honestly don't have enough receivers right now. I don't think Coach is messing around and not going to play him. Why would he be getting practice time at the 5th slot if he isn't gonna play?
They all started the season, played all season and weren't asked to dress for their first game in the SEC Championship Game and to be an immediate major factor. Coach Saban has never expected that out of any player and I don't think he'll start doing so on Saturday. This is a different scenario than a true freshman starting or playing a ton all season. This youngster has never even warmed up before a game!!
I think I'll shut up now because I don't think anyone is understanding where I'm coming from.
It's not about Chris Black. It's about Nick Saban.
Let's just beat Georgia.
My goodness I didn't think I could create so much controversy lol...
I guess we shall see.
Roll Tide all! :)
sip

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
They all started the season, played all season and weren't asked to dress for their first game in the SEC Championship Game and to be an immediate major factor. Coach Saban has never expected that out of any player and I don't think he'll start doing so on Saturday. This is a different scenario than a true freshman starting or playing a ton all season. This youngster has never even warmed up before a game!!
I think I'll shut up now because I don't think anyone is understanding where I'm coming from.
It's not about Chris Black. It's about Nick Saban.
Let's just beat Georgia.
My goodness I didn't think I could create so much controversy lol...
I guess we shall see.
Roll Tide all! :)
sip
No, he just asked a freshman who'd never fielded a punt in a college game to field punts in a NCG. Think about it...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
First, I've never said anything about his starting. Second, resentment from other players about a guy who's been hurt all year and is finally getting his chance is just a non-starter. I'm not even sure where that remark's coming from, unless you're just desperate to make a point. The other players' tweets have shown that they're very excited for him, which is the way Saban builds a "team first" attitude. Finally, Saban has a long history of playing freshmen when they're ready, the family's on board and there is no reason to preserve the illusion of a fifth year in this case. BTW, I'm going on the facts - not on a "gut feeling..."
My gut feeling was based on how Saban normally coaches. It was an observation,nothing more, and as I tried to express about fifteen million times it wasn't intended to be argumentative or negative at all about Chris Black.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Synopsis!!

I'm not saying he should play. I'm not saying he shouldn't play.

I don't care if he plays or not.

If he does I hope he has a great game.

My every post was simply trying to say that I would be surprised if Saban played him.

That's all, that's it, and if I'm wrong so be it and good :) If I'm right, who cares, as long as we win :)

sip

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The thing is that we've been rotating 6-deep at WR before Bell went down: Norwood, Cooper, Bell, Ch. Jones, Shinn, and Cy. Jones. The last two didn't get a lot of snaps, but they have occasionally seen the field to spell guys even before it was "blowout conditions." Black was definitely a better talent than either Shinn or Cy. Jones heading into the season but the injury kept him off the field. He would have probably already have been in the rotation if they weren't trying to hold his redshirt considering Bell could duplicate a lot of Black's strong suits.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
So you think Coach Saban is going to bench Norwood or Christion Jones for the SEC Championship Game in order to start a kid who's never dressed out in a Bama uniform? :)

Hey, you're just fired up and that's cool! Let's just hope if he does play that he makes a big play or two and helps us win.

sip
:cool: I just think this kid is a special talent. He was the talk of the Spring and we all saw him look quite capable in the Spring game. A kid that young and talented needs to be on the field and Coach knows that. I do not think anyone will be benched to play him but I do think he will get a shot. And if he shines then Chris Black's breakout game could be this Saturday in the SEC Championship Game against the Dawgs.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Synopsis!!

I'm not saying he should play. I'm not saying he shouldn't play.

I don't care if he plays or not.

If he does I hope he has a great game.

My every post was simply trying to say that I would be surprised if Saban played him.

That's all, that's it, and if I'm wrong so be it and good :) If I'm right, who cares, as long as we win :)

sip
In view of your past posts, I'm extremely surprised that you are going to be surprised when he plays. Saban has said that it's all but a certainty. rgw does really have the rotation figured correctly. Black fills a really big hole. That's the reason for all of the lead-up and Saban's remarks. I'd give about 10-1 odds that he plays. How he performs is up to him...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Sip, you would make a good politician!
Either that or I should replace Finebaumn...LOL :) This one got kinda sorta out of hand.

I know Coach Saban's job is to win championships.

At the same time, all I was saying, is that my gut feeling is that he will give the players who have gone through every game the entire season the first opportunity to show they can get the job done before he places such a big burden on a youngster who hasn't played a down.

That's it. That's all it was.

If it turns into a situation where he's needed, then absolutely play the young man!

I just said, "I hope we don't need him"..and I'd be surprised if anybody hoped we did.

He could break his leg in the first series next season and that redshirt would suddenly become important, not for the team, but for Chris.

That's what I think Coach Saban looks at and that's why I think he'll try to sit him if possible.

That's all.

Sip

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.