News Article: Chris Black to make debut against Georgia

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think they will try to get him involved with screens when he does see the field...maybe a crossing pattern with some natural pick action. Typical short stuff we'd do with Kenny Bell. I don't think the plan will be immediately to bomb them with our "secret speed weapon." Ultimately, he's here to add another quality playmaker...not to become the go-to guy. Norwood and Cooper are both healthy, the focus will be on them in the passing game. Hopefully this will be one of those games where Christion Jones catches reliably.

DurdenTider

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2011
Mobile, AL
Black looked really good in the Spring game with that deep TD pass and has the ability to make a big play happen anytime he's on the field. The nervous factor is that this is his first college game and with it being a huge game, running the wrong route or fumbling the ball could cost UA big but I'm confident that CB has been working at it the entire season and is ready to make an impact in the SECCG

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
That is why I don't think they try to force plays to him. Georgia is going to try to take the lid off our receivers anyway...why you think they've been working on ball protection on catches this whole week? I'd definitely bet on a screen when Black does see the field...it's a good way to take the edge off for him.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Just for the record, I'm on your side Sip. I agree. You hate to see a guy use up a whole year of eligibility to just play in 2 games. (especially if he won't change the outcome of the games) I think we can beat UGA and ND without CB. Chances are since he hasn't played at all, not much will be asked of him. Christion Jones had at least played all year as a receiver when he fielded punts in the NCG. So he did have college experience.
Chris Black has tons of talent. Not disputed. Does he have talent that will draw him to the NFL in 3 years? That remains to be seen. Alabama is not known for getting WR to the NFL early. JJ is the only one I can think of that has left early. Our run first mindset doesn't give our WR the stats and opportunities like other pass happy offenses.

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
Where are y'all getting the idea he doesn't know the whole offense and is not game-ready to play the 5-7 receiver slots? This is the same guy that had Cooper pined down the depth-chart in camp. Nuss don't change one call or read just because he's on the field.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think they will try to get him involved with screens when he does see the field...maybe a crossing pattern with some natural pick action. Typical short stuff we'd do with Kenny Bell. I don't think the plan will be immediately to bomb them with our "secret speed weapon." Ultimately, he's here to add another quality playmaker...not to become the go-to guy. Norwood and Cooper are both healthy, the focus will be on them in the passing game. Hopefully this will be one of those games where Christion Jones catches reliably.
i just hope we dont trot out the crossing pattern we used right off the bat vs. tennesee (i think) and a and m (the first int). seems like teams are looking for that early and teeing off on our receivers. that play seems to work better later in the game

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
i just hope we dont trot out the crossing pattern we used right off the bat vs. tennesee (i think) and a and m (the first int). seems like teams are looking for that early and teeing off on our receivers. that play seems to work better later in the game
^^^This^^^
The crossing pattern play and wide receiver screen are both good plays but we run them WAY too much. The other teams know that and squat on them big time. We've got to soften them up first before those plays are successful.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Seems a flea-flicker to Black would be the best play. He injured his shoulder not his lower body, so he still has his speed. Because of his injury, a short pass in coverage might be worse than letting him use his speed.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Where are y'all getting the idea he doesn't know the whole offense and is not game-ready to play the 5-7 receiver slots? This is the same guy that had Cooper pined down the depth-chart in camp. Nuss don't change one call or read just because he's on the field.
That's not where I was coming from at all buzzin. I'm sure the kid is ready or Coach Saban wouldn't even consider playing him.
I just hope, if he does play and has to forfeit a year of eligibility that he's a pretty big contributor.
Traditionally Coach S. hasn't placed that pressure on a youngster unless absolutely necessary.
For example, yes, he had Christion Jones returning punts for his first time ever last year in the BCS Title Game, but only because he had to because of Maze's injury.
The vast consensus is that CB will be an early departure anyway so my concern's were probably moot, but there's no doubt the youngster is ready, willing and able.
sip

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Some people seem to be overlooking the fact that a player doesn't have to catch an 80 yd. strike to be a factor in the game. Just having certain players out there will affect coverages UGA will use. That can matter...a lot. CNS obviously thinks CB will help otherwise this wouldn't happen. I'll go with Coach. He seems to have a pretty good track record.

Anyone think CB might give us the chance to see how far AJ can chunk it?

Ty Webb

Suspended
Feb 3, 2012
I think Black is going to be used primarily as the play action deep ball guy. Occasionally, we may use him on the shallow crossing route.

I don't think we'll see him get many screen balls or short passes. I think Jones or Cooper will get those calls, with Norwood blocking. Black will probably used more as a deep option, similar to Bell's strength.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I like the screen as a "first targets" because it helps prove to Black it's still the same ol' football he's been catching since he was little. Ideally, a well blocked screen will keep the initial defenders off of him and allow him to use his pure open-field skills to make a play.

I'd hate to give him some TD-potential deep pass in one of his first snaps and he chokes up on an easy catch. The screen is a good nerves-calmer.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
The way I see it, if Coach and the staff feel confident about burning this kid's redshirt --- get him the ball.
Don't worry about him dropping a bomb. This kid is talented, he plays for Alabama and he came here to win championships. He's good enough and he's caught passes all his life. I don't think it would be productive to shut out certain routes or passing options just because he's unproven.
He's a playmaker. Let him do his thing!
RTR

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised at anything from his standing on the side line to starting and playing most of the game. I do think those who are harping on "wasting a redshirt" are just not understanding the structure of today's draft and this kid's ability. In fact, I wonder how many really watched what he looked like in the A-Day game. He was the #2 rated WR in the country. If we need him, we'll see plenty of him and CNS will not hesitate to use him. Personally, I think we might see him go first on a couple of fly patterns, just to give their DBs something to think about as he passes them...

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Is it for sure that Black didn't play in the SECCG? I thought I saw him in the game for a few snaps, early on. I couldn't be sure, though.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.