Page 1 of 17 1234567811 ... LastLast

For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendance

http://cw.ua.edu/2012/11/29/high-tide-low-turnout/

November 29, 2012 | Filed under: Campus,News | Posted by: Marc Torrence
    Alabama fans are greeted with a familiar sight as kickoff nears for a football game in Bryant-Denny Stadium. It’s as common as seeing the Million Dollar Band on the field or the pre-game “Tradition” video.
    Only this one isn’t so inspiring.
    The upper deck student section, where students are sent once the lower bowl has reached capacity, is never filled and has become an eyesore for many fans. It’s a blemish on what some say would otherwise be the most spectacular sight in college football – 101,000-plus fans packed into one stadium to watch a football game.
    The student section has never filled up completely, or even come close, according to information received from The University of Alabama under an open-records request.
    Alabama’s season opener against San Jose State in 2010 drew the most students since 2008, when the University started using ACT Cards for football tickets and the earliest that data was made available. Of the 17,000 seats given to students, only 13,638 were filled for the game. That means 3,362 tickets went unused, and the section was just over 80 percent capacity.
    Tradition-
    "Cherished by those who possess it, Envied by those without it, Scoffed by those who do not comprehend it and Desired by all who understand it." -Me

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

Re: For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendan

It was obvious (a couple of times) on TV last weekend for the Auburn game. If they dont show up for that, something is wrong.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Clubfitter's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendan

Good article.Cleared up a lot of questions I had about how student tickets were managed.
    “What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment.”
    Coach Nick Saban.

My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

That's because trust fund babies are too good to sit in the upper deck like us common folk. Not all, just some. From what I understand, it's a first come first seat kinda of thing.

On a positive note, I believe that the students are the loudest and I love it when they set the tone for making noise at the stadium. Also, in their defense....."responsible" students don't have all day to get there 6 hours before kickoff just to get a better seat, watch a three hour game then go back to where they live.

So stick em together in the lower section, everyone wins!

They need to look at the average number of seats that were empty this year and remove them from the student section. It's ridiculous to have unused seats when there are people on the TP waiting list will to pay good money for those seats. Let the students complain about the lack of $10 seats, not the people willing to pay 10x that much for them.

No one is entitled to seating at BDS.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by HitMan54 View Post
    That's because trust fund babies are too good to sit in the upper deck like us common folk. Not all, just some. From what I understand, it's a first come first seat kinda of thing.

On a positive note, I believe that the students are the loudest and I love it when they set the tone for making noise at the stadium. Also, in their defense....."responsible" students don't have all day to get there 6 hours before kickoff just to get a better seat, watch a three hour game then go back to where they live.

So stick em together in the lower section, everyone wins!
    I think your perception of responsible students not having time is not the problem. I don't think you have to go 6 hours early to get a seat. I also don't think most students spend that much time studying on Saturday.

The upper deck section is pretty annoying to see I don't really have a solution for it. At South Carolina you request a ticket each week and either get the lower or the upper it is assigned. That might help but kids who get the upper might just say screw it and turn in their tickets. The positive with that system is if they turn it in someone else who wants to go can claim it.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

They should get rid of the ACT card crap and go back to just having regular tickets. That way the students who don't want to go can sell them without the person buying them who's not a student having to shell out $80 extra dollars! Makes it impossible for students who can't go to sell their tickets, because most of the ones bought from students are friends and family that just want to sit with their friend/family that goes there!
    Tidaltown, USA

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

"Deas said entitlement plays a key role in the lack of enthusiasm he’s seen from students."

"“Students think that just because they get tickets, they don’t have to use them,” he said. “I just don’t understand that when you go to a school with a program like Alabama football – the program is, right now, the best in the country. Yet the only people that seem to be apathetic about it are the people that attend school there.”

THIS!
    If God wanted me to be humble, he would have sent me to Auburn.

yeah, i dont understand not going to most games as a student. i went to all of them until my sr. year when i had a job that required working saturday nights. and most of the years i was there, we had to trudge to legion field for most of the games.
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by J4Bama View Post
    "Deas said entitlement plays a key role in the lack of enthusiasm he’s seen from students."

"“Students think that just because they get tickets, they don’t have to use them,” he said. “I just don’t understand that when you go to a school with a program like Alabama football – the program is, right now, the best in the country. Yet the only people that seem to be apathetic about it are the people that attend school there.”

THIS!

well, they're going to be in for a rude awakening when they get out of school and realize how expensive tickets are.
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

They should have it where 30 mins before the game, the tickets that are not used, can be sold to the public. Then that would take care of the students not caring or who want to show up late. They would show up and late and their tickets wouldn't be valid anymore.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Take away ALL upper deck seating for students and sell them to the people on the TP waiting list! I may could get that magic email then!!

In the 5 football seasons I was a student at Bama, I NEVER missed a home football game.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I've never missed an Alabama game where I've had a student ticket. I had to bail on the Mississippi State game this season because I did go up to the upperdeck and it just got to darn chilly for me.