Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5891011121314151617 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

Re: For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendan

I can think of a least one "major" flaw with their data. When the University says there are 17,000 student seats they are including the number of ticket packages sold, the number of seats reserved for the MDB, the number of seats reserved for non football athletes etc. In the case of the MDB, their seating section is somewhere in the 900-1000 seat range, yet their members don't scan in. There is nearly 1,000 of your empty seats each game right there. I'm guessing that is not the only problem with the data.

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendan

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I think the AD deserves some blame because they listened to the students more than the hard statistics. 17k is clearly too much student seating given the typical numbers...even previous to the south endzone expansion and the increase of the student body.
    It's not just the AD. I was at an event two years ago and someone asked Dr Witt about the student section then and he said that he would not take away any seats from the students. Here we are, two years later and the problem has gotten worse. Here's hoping the new president does something about it.
    If God wanted me to be humble, he would have sent me to Auburn.

BamaNation All-SEC UA All the Way's Avatar

I've been on the wait list for years....if thousands of seats are going unused open them up to Tide Pride members!

When I was a student we went to every game. And we sure weren't winning national championships left and right either. Ridiculous.
    “We will get there…I promise you that.” -Coach Saban

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

BamaNation Scout Team

To fully understand the problem with attendance you need to be aware of the student body make-up. A large majority of students are from outside of Alabama, many who are here due to receiving scholarship $$...not because of their love for the school or the football program. My daughter is a Junior and EVERY friend I've met is from another state and on scholarship I'm not condoning the apathetic attitude... I just see that football is not as important to a large population of students.

Quote Originally Posted by Comin2yourCity View Post
    To fully understand the problem with attendance you need to be aware of the student body make-up. A large majority of students are from outside of Alabama, many who are here due to receiving scholarship $$...not because of their love for the school or the football program. My daughter is a Junior and EVERY friend I've met is from another state and on scholarship I'm not condoning the apathetic attitude... I just see that football is not as important to a large population of students.
    Welcome, and that's a completely reasonable excuse for the empty seats.

It still needs to be addressed.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I am with those that wish it was easier for students to scalp their tickets like in the old days. I believe my son told me he has to go to the office and pay to upgrade when he sold his LSU ticket last year.. At least the eyesore problem would go away if students can't make a game, or don't want to.

How about making it the drunkard zone?

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    I am with those that wish it was easier for students to scalp their tickets like in the old days. I believe my son told me he has to go to the office and pay to upgrade when he sold his LSU ticket last year.. At least the eyesore problem would go away if students can't make a game, or don't want to.
    I think it's the other way around. The students are buying all the tickets dirt cheap, because from what I understand it makes it easier to keep getting them and so they can sell them when they want to. They are so cheap that there is little reason not to buy them. I imagine there are students roping other students into buying them so they can orchestrate selling them themselves, and make a profit. So, one student might get several others to buy tickets, all of which never had any intention of showing up. If he can't or doesn't sell them? Empty seats...

The issue to me is they are too easily available, not that they are too hard to sell. I would let them go through the process of selling a ticket, but I'd also insure that it made getting another one more difficult as well.

The purpose of buying an Alabama ticket should never be to resell it. The problem isn't that someone had his margin cut into when he sold the LSU ticket for a huge profit. The problem is that he bought the ticket with no intention of going to the game.
    Last edited by KrAzY3; November 30th, 2012 at 08:52 AM.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Originally Posted by AlexD I pay tuition. Which means I am paying around a 1000 for a ticket. Do you pay that? I go to school at the University and keep it running do you do that? I have more right to do anything or not at the University than you by far.
    When y'all can fill the rest of the stadium then complain. Plus again it is a school for students and it is student athletes therefor it is for students not you
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If Alex were correct... Students would support the school by attending our games.
    I'm a member of the 'USE IT OR LOOSE IT' camp. We have been over generous with
    student tickets and the result is a sellout with lots of empty seats. Cut the allotment.
    Solution: Move all student seating to lower section and sell the upper sections
    as general admission. Break up the block seating for Frats... That will help too.
    That just might fill our stadium.

Looks bad when we have a premiere football team and we can't fill our stadium.

Last edited by Ole Man Dan; November 30th, 2012 at 09:32 AM. Reason: format

BamaNation All-American Crimson Flyboy's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    I think it's the other way around. The students are buying all the tickets dirt cheap, because from what I understand it makes it easier to keep getting them and so they can sell them when they want to. They are so cheap that there is little reason not to buy them. I imagine there are students roping other students into buying them so they can orchestrate selling them themselves, and make a profit. So, one student might get several others to buy tickets, all of which never had any intention of showing up. If he can't or doesn't sell them? Empty seats...

The issue to me is they are too easily available, not that they are too hard to sell. I would let them go through the process of selling a ticket, but I'd also insure that it made getting another one more difficult as well.

The purpose of buying an Alabama ticket should never be to resell it. The problem isn't that someone had his margin cut into when he sold the LSU ticket for a huge profit. The problem is that he bought the ticket with no intention of going to the game.
    If this were the case then someone would be sitting in those seats. Someone will buy those tickets as soon as they hit the secondary market. The students simply have too many seats. If the University would turn those tickets over to Tide Pride, they would be sold in an instant, and no more empty seats. Tide Pride has a huge waiting list and many of those people would love to have those seats. IMO, the University should turn over the entire upper deck portion of the student section to Tide Pride.
    שלום
    Pax
    Peace

"The sole object and only legitimate end of government is to protect the citizen in the enjoyment of life, liberty, and property, and when the government assumes other functions, it is usurpation and oppression."

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for the sake of mine."

"Any man who strives for free inquiry, free thought, and self ownership is my brother and countryman."

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Considering the price of a student ticket is cheaper than the price of a pack of cigarettes...
    I wonder it the students realize the intrinsic value of tickets to the general public.
    (Do folks still smoke now a days?)

I remember my college days as living in a world independent of the outside world.
    You tend to either not care or loose touch with the outside world, until you graduate.
    (At least I did...)
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; November 30th, 2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: additional text

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Flyboy View Post
    If this were the case then someone would be sitting in those seats. Someone will buy those tickets as soon as they hit the secondary market. The students simply have too many seats. If the University would turn those tickets over to Tide Pride, they would be sold in an instant, and no more empty seats. Tide Pride has a huge waiting list and many of those people would love to have those seats. IMO, the University should turn over the entire upper deck portion of the student section to Tide Pride.
    The students have to pay to sell the tickets to. This is so the University doesn't get ripped off. This means they will happily sell the LSU home game ticket, and that profit blows away what they spent on tickets for the entire season. They sell a couple more for even a modest profit and they could do quite well for themselves. The cost to sell a ticket prohibits doing it for lesser games though, so they just don't show up and that's that. I think what people are not realizing is the huge number of students that are just never going, period. Sometimes they sell their ticket, but they are never actually sitting down in the stadium.

There are students that want tickets and are left out though. It's just too easy to buy these tickets dirt cheap and face no penalty for never intending to use them. I think you should reduce the seating, but as I said earlier I think you should actually float those tickets between students and general admission. If and only if both of those categories are not buying the tickets and attending the games should they go to Tide Pride (as we know that would be permanent, even if the Tide Pride people just end up re-selling their tickets to).

I think the focus should be put on selling tickets to people who are going to go to the game and cheer, at least with these tickets. The issue isn't just lack of people showing up, it's general apathy and Tide Pride has that problem to. I think if you make some tickets available as general admission, you'll get some new blood in there that actually wants to go to the games and cheer.
    Last edited by KrAzY3; November 30th, 2012 at 10:58 AM.

BamaNation All-American RollTide1017's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I'd bet a good deal that their will be ~5k new Tide Pride season ticket holders next season.
    This has been a problem ever since the expansion 3 years ago and they have not changed anything, don't see why they would now (although I really hope they do).

BamaNation All-SEC

It seems so strange to me that we continue to run the system like this. If they demand to have the current setup where every student needs to sign up ahead of time to reserve tickets, they need an easier way to pass those on to alumni. If this is the case, I would prefer an easy-scalping option with a fee that gets paid at the gate by anyone entering without a student ID, perhaps $25-50 depending on the game, so that the student ticket-holder does not have to pay before he/she can sell it.

Perhaps a better solution has already been mentioned. First-come, first-serve, students swipe their card and pay on their ACT card. 10 minutes before kickoff, any remaining seats get opened to the public at a higher charge. If a student comes in after kickoff, they can pay the $10, but they may not have seats left if they arrive after that 10-minute cutoff. As a student, I got locked out from having tickets for 2 years because I was too ADHD to make the deadline. That's on me, but it was frustrating as a big fan with slight organizational issues. But I ABSOLUTELY would have waited an hour in line to get into games with my ACT card on game-day,! And I would have loved sharing space with alumni and other non-student fans. They just shouldn't complain when I'm screaming and standing all game...

As for logistics: no alcohol sold in student zones, regardless of whether you're a student or not. One bad incident involving the student section, and things would get ugly. There's probably enough alcohol snuck-in already.