Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 691011121314151617 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American theBIGyowski's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendan

Make admission free to all students that show up to the gate with a valid student ID. This removes the chance for a student to buy season tickets and not show up to certain games...leaving empty seats. It also keeps students from turning it into a profit scheme.

The athletic department could even open up "student guest" tickets on the Monday prior to the Saturday game where students could purchase an extra ticket for a friend or family member. Perhaps cap these at ~100 per game and sell them at the reduced price that the faculty/staff pay. You are guaranteed these tickets will be used because of the price being paid for them.

By selling ticket packages in their current format...the supply has far outweighed the game day demand. Like I said before...cut the student section back down to 12,000...make it free admission with a valid student ID...and sell an extra 100 or so student guest tickets the Monday of the game week. I guarantee you the problem of student attendance would disappear.
    I remember my first game as a child and the amazing feeling I got when I first walked into Bryant-Denny. I still get that same feeling every single game.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendan

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot30 View Post
    Wow, they are still only $5 ? That's how much they were 25 years ago.
    Fixed.
    RIP Hub

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rizolltizide View Post
    Fixed.
    You've got a few years on me then .

In the '60s, admission was free at BDS and $1 for games at Legion Field for students.
    "If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them." - As Candidus in the Boston Gazette, January 20, 1772

BamaNation First Team Snuffy Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendance

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot30 View Post
    You've got a few years on me then .

In the '60s, admission was free at BDS and $1 for games at Legion Field for students.
    Too much for a game there IMO... Never liked games there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't we work on making it easier for the students to get to the games. Remove the ridiculous half season for Freshman system, make it easier to turn in tickets if you're not going to use them. Scan in the MDB and others who walk through the gates without a ticket, etc.

I understand why some of you want to get into the games and are upset that there are empty seats, but I would rather see 2-3000 more loud screaming students at the games in their seats. It seems to be largely a problem of the ticketing system more than just a problem lack of desire.
    The Golden Rule for internet postings:

If you don't have anything nice to say, then say it with class, say it eloquently, and for goodness sake use the English language like your English teacher tried so hard to teach you.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I wasn't enrolled at the time of student season ticket package purchase this year. I had to get one of those partial packages like the Freshman are offered. You either got 4 games with two clunkers and Texas A&M + Ole Miss or 3 games with a clunker and MSU + Auburn. I went with the three game to ensure Auburn tickets and got the rest from the waitlist. The problem is that people either have to buy into the whole season, part of the season, or play the waitlist game every week.

Personally, I think they should just use the MyTicket system on a week-to-week basis. Students can sign up for the games on Sunday morning through Monday (or whenever it is filled) then they open the remainder of the tickets up for general admission by Tuesday.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    I think it's the other way around. The students are buying all the tickets dirt cheap, because from what I understand it makes it easier to keep getting them and so they can sell them when they want to. They are so cheap that there is little reason not to buy them. I imagine there are students roping other students into buying them so they can orchestrate selling them themselves, and make a profit. So, one student might get several others to buy tickets, all of which never had any intention of showing up. If he can't or doesn't sell them? Empty seats...

The issue to me is they are too easily available, not that they are too hard to sell. I would let them go through the process of selling a ticket, but I'd also insure that it made getting another one more difficult as well.

The purpose of buying an Alabama ticket should never be to resell it. The problem isn't that someone had his margin cut into when he sold the LSU ticket for a huge profit. The problem is that he bought the ticket with no intention of going to the game.
    Students get the tickets for the heck of it and don't go to the games, that's the large scale problem. What you are talking about is a side issue. A lot of it is probably from freshman.

If they keep the current system they should make students jump through more hoops to get the tickets other than checking a box that their parents are paying for (me!). The same students that are too lazy to go to the game are to lazy to upgrade the ticket and sell it. Empty seat. My son is one of them, although I am proud of him. He's a junior in electrical engineering. Football fan not.

Kids today watch games on television. Outdoor activities make them feel weird.

The kids that are students grew up when Alabama was going through a decade of probation and might not have developed the Bama passion that we have. We are at the peak right now. Coach Saban will effect a generation of fans and create fanatics that will start showing up in a few years. This has to be part of it.
    Last edited by CapstoneTider; November 30th, 2012 at 06:32 PM.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

I am currently a student here at UA and I will have to say that the biggest reason why the students are not attending the games is that the students I have either talked to or overheard talking say "the games are over by halftime" and the games "are not interesting." Dumb excuses, I know.

BTW, If any of you would like to know how the ticket process works, it is actually extremely simple. In the spring and summer, if you are an incoming freshman enrolled for the upcoming fall term, you will select a package, A or B that each contain different game options. The total price you have to pay is $50. If you are an upperclassman, you just sign up to get your season student tickets in the Spring that allow you to go to every game the next fall season. The total price to pay is $80. If you dont have a ticket for whatever reason, you put your name into a lottery-type selection process. That is, if there are an excess number of student tickets available or one student just gives up their ticket, students without a ticket get one on a first come, first serve basis. Also, if you get a ticket through the lottery, the ticket is of no cost. I dont think the prices for these tickets are expensive at all. There are enough tickets available each and every game. There should be no excuses and I promise there is little to no studying on Saturdays for about 99% of the university lol.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theBIGyowski View Post
    Make admission free to all students that show up to the gate with a valid student ID. This removes the chance for a student to buy season tickets and not show up to certain games...leaving empty seats. It also keeps students from turning it into a profit scheme.

The athletic department could even open up "student guest" tickets on the Monday prior to the Saturday game where students could purchase an extra ticket for a friend or family member. Perhaps cap these at ~100 per game and sell them at the reduced price that the faculty/staff pay. You are guaranteed these tickets will be used because of the price being paid for them.

By selling ticket packages in their current format...the supply has far outweighed the game day demand. Like I said before...cut the student section back down to 12,000...make it free admission with a valid student ID...and sell an extra 100 or so student guest tickets the Monday of the game week. I guarantee you the problem of student attendance would disappear.

Wouldn't this still allow students to resell them?

I think they should just have student redeem their ticket. If they have a friend who needs a ticket, have them get tickets the same way everyone else does.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Heisman4Bama View Post
    I am currently a student here at UA and I will have to say that the biggest reason why the students are not attending the games is that the students I have either talked to or overheard talking say "the games are over by halftime" and the games "are not interesting." Dumb excuses, I know.
    Good point and I believe goes back to that these same students were 10 years old when our team was in a decade of decline/embarrassment and a larger percentage of students right now go to the games as a social event or something to do, but are not big Alabama fans. Not all but a large amount. I can almost guarantee in four years that a much larger percentage of students will be hard core fans than right now when the coach Saban kids reach age. Would I have had the same passion for the team when I attended school in the early 90's if the team had been on probation from the time I was 6-16? I know I wouldn't have.

Post Thanks / Like

This is weird. How are students not packing out the games when we have the premier program in CFB? I never remember the student section being empty when I was there (00-05). But then again I wasn't usually looking behind me. I think the explanation that Bama was actually down while many current students were growing up makes a lot of sense. Many of them may not have become fans at that formative age.
    Discipline.
    Commitment.
    Effort.
    Toughness.
    Pride.
    (http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20100201/news/100209986)

BamaNation All-American RammerJammer14's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Woot on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Heisman4Bama View Post
    If you are an upperclassman, you just sign up to get your season student tickets in the Spring that allow you to go to every game the next fall season. The total price to pay is $80.
    You're getting ripped off bro. I paid $35 for the full season.
    -Why's it us Sergeant? Why us?
    -Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

-"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
    -"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

BamaNation First Team Snuffy Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendance

Quote Originally Posted by RammerJammer14 View Post
    You're getting ripped off bro. I paid $35 for the full season.
    I think I have posted this 3 times in this thread - not sure where those other numbers come from.

http://www.rolltide.com/tickets/m-fo...t-tickets.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk