Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

Re: For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendan

I would rather the University use the upper deck for alums and fans. I can't understand the attitude of our students at a time when our football program is at an all time high. This article I'm sure concerns all of us on this site.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Re: For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendan

Are we certain that there are 15 or 17 thousand students that actually want to go to the games? I mean, Alabama is a very diverse campus. And although football is huge for the citizens of this state, Alabama pulls in students from all over the world.

Regardless, I agree that the unused tickets need to be sold to the public.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Yeah, I feel that a lot of the students are either no interested in the game or simply prefer the tailgate atmosphere. I know a few friends who would rather watch it on television and have the leisure to munch on finger foods and a beverage.

On one hand, in the world of donations and booster money...it is forgotten that the game should be about the students on the field and in the stands not the alumni and other supporters. On the other, there are people giving money to the university each year that directly effects the strength of the program and not getting a season ticket package offer all the while seats are going unused.

There are a lot of ways to look at it but ultimately if seats are not being used then a reassessment is needed.

BamaNation First Team saraelizabethua's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Take the top half of the upper deck permanently. If the lower half hasn't filled up at kickoff, sell general admission tickets. People/tailgaters/students without season tickets will buy them.

I never missed a minute of a game in Bryant-Denny. Granted, I HAD to be there with the MDB, but I never wanted to leave early because I wanted to play Rammer Jammer, sing the alma mater, and celebrate/commiserate with my friends! I don't understand the lack of enthusiasm when our team is THIS dominant! Get it together!

BamaNation Hall of Fame exiledNms's Avatar

Some of my best game memories as a student revolve around getting to BDS or Legion Field ~3 hrs early to get a non-reserved seat in the student section. This was especially fun @ the Iron Bowl when the Aub students & us were opposite each in Legion Field. Good times!

I, too, don't have a solution. Oh well...on to ATL to teach the Bulldogs to behave.
    exiled

-------------------------
    "Let's see when we get a full body of work at the end of the season. If you get satisfied and you fall in love with yourself, you get complacent and lose your desire."
    Nick Saban

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Unbelievable that the Auburn game was the second-least attended game of the year. Disgraceful.

BamaNation All-American RollTide1017's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Here is another article from that breaks down the numbers by game: http://sports.cw.ua.edu/2012/11/29/f...dance-numbers/

Since the expansion and the student allotment was increased to 17,000; the average student attendance has been 12,018. I don't want to ever see anyone on this site use the "they cram into the lower bowl" excuse again because it is not true. It may be crowded down there but, they are also not using their tickets. Seems to me the solution is very simple and obvious, reduce the number of student tickets to around 13,500 and sell the rest to people who will actually go to the games.

It's pathetic to see an empty section in the upper deck every single home game, if they will not use them then they don't deserve them. When was the last time you saw entire sections empty at the start of a Michigan game, ND game or an OSU game? It's sad, we have the best team in the country and can't fill the stadium. I'm bitter because tickets are hard to come by, especially at face value and while freeing up some student tickets will not drastically change that, it would allow a few more fans the opportunity. It just sucks for them to advertise the game as a sell out (which I know it technically is) and then you see on TV an entire section empty, that's when I yell at the TV that I'd love to sit up there!

Use them or lose them is what I say and it is obvious that the students should lose some of theirs.
    Last edited by RollTide1017; November 29th, 2012 at 10:51 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Perhaps, no more ticket packages at all...you show up to the gate and they swipe until they reach the magic number.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Can't they just pass the cost back onto students who don't use their tickets to a game? Put it on their bill - only bill them for FACE VALUE. I venture to say that would stop the nonsense.

I don't know anything about whether such a solution is feasible because I don't know how it works. But I didn't get to go to UA even though I was accepted. I would have committed a weekly murder to get to go to Tide football games at my college age (I'm being facetious, but you get the point).
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again

Only a few people in the world have the ability to remember everything. I'm one of them. Pick any day of my life, and I can tell you what I saw or heard.

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Well, this absolutely kills all defense of the students lack of participation at games (and the people who jumped on to others when they complained about how fans could do better). Ok, may be it was a mistake to consider students fans in the first place...

I do think there could certainly be a better way to manage both season ticket holders and student tickets. There is an absurdity that there are many enthusiastic fans that would love to go to games, and drive up ticket prices for ones that are available, yet students and even some season ticket holders just can't be bothered to show up to most (any, in the case of some students) games.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

And to think the students are complaining about not getting tickets to the SEC title game. I bet they all want to go if we make it to Miami.
    If God wanted me to be humble, he would have sent me to Auburn.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Can't they just pass the cost back onto students who don't use their tickets to a game? Put it on their bill - only bill them for FACE VALUE. I venture to say that would stop the nonsense.

I don't know anything about whether such a solution is feasible because I don't know how it works. But I didn't get to go to UA even though I was accepted. I would have committed a weekly murder to get to go to Tide football games at my college age (I'm being facetious, but you get the point).
    When I was a freshman in 2009, the ticket policy involved 4 options:

1. Use your ticket
    2. Sell your ticket
    3. Donate your ticket back to the school, who would then give it to a student that did not have one.
    4. Don't use, sell, nor donate your ticket, which hurts your chances of getting tickets the following year.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation All-American AlistarWills's Avatar
    My Mood
    Tired on TideFans.com

I'm hearin crickets from our student members who want to argue that they always fill it up....

Upper deck = Tide Pride. If the students continue to not fill it up to capacity, move the fences in. With the understanding, the students will never get these seats back once they go to Tide Pride. Its simple supply and demand economics. The demand isn't there for the students to meet the supply, while the supply for the Tide Pride list does not meet the demand. Go with the one that will generate a higher price.
    I've read the end of The Book and I know who wins!