For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendance

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Is giving the students 17k seats in the lower bowl a realistic or viable option?
It would be rewarding bad behavior. I'm not sure how much seating they have in lower bowl right now, but considering they only use 12K seats anyway and want to all huddle together, how about 10K in the lower bowl and that's it? That sounds like a fair way to do it since they're just too good for those upper deck seats.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
The upper deck is not the problem. In the 2 years prior to the expansion the student attendance average was 9,856 out of the 15,000 student tickets. The addition of the upper deck didn't create this problem, if just made it even more obvious.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
They should get rid of the ACT card crap and go back to just having regular tickets. That way the students who don't want to go can sell them without the person buying them who's not a student having to shell out $80 extra dollars! Makes it impossible for students who can't go to sell their tickets, because most of the ones bought from students are friends and family that just want to sit with their friend/family that goes there!
Don't give that I want to sell my ticket bull. You pay for a season what I generally pay for 1 ticket and there are many who pay more than that. I went as a student and I have gone for 30 years to games. Your problem is you dont' want to give away your ticket. Tough. There are plenty of people who will happily pay 10 times what you paid to get into a game. If you are too good to sit in the upper deck where I sat for many years, then go to another school where you don't have to worry about selling you seat because many schools can't sell their tickets for any amount. Ask the kids at Auburn how much they can sell their seats for this year. The system with the ACT cards is the most fair it could be. All you have to do is show up. If you don't show up and use your card you lose priority.

I am sick and tired of seeing the student section not filled and the greek's leaving at halftime. give thos tix to people who appreciate them and will show up on Saturday.

Last edited:

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
That's a good point. I wonder if the student demand would be higher if there were just one contiguous student section in the lower bowl. I can see how sitting in the upper deck and seemingly isolated would have a chilling effect on student demand.

Is giving the students 17k seats in the lower bowl a realistic or viable option?
I sit in Section A (next to the student section). I live in Memphis, had tickets for nine years, I have missed two games (thursday night and my dad was in ICU). I will be hot mad if I get moved to the upper deck for students who only show up for the "big" games.

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
I know I'll get killed for this, but if my TP seats were in the upper deck I wouldn't use them either. I can see why the students wouldn't want to sit there. I don't think the students should have been broken up.
There are thousands of people on the TidePride waiting list that would love to have the opportunity to be in the upper deck.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
My general feel is that the students are losing the upper deck and in the process 1-2k loyal student attendees will get the rub because of lower bowl capacity. I think the 17k capacity was over the top of the demand and made the issue worse than it has appeared in the past. I do think the upper deck gets affected a bit by people cramming around the sidelines and stands of the lower bowl but that doesn't explain a 5k delta.

bama70

3rd Team
Oct 19, 2011
NE Alabama
Instead of adding student tickets in the lower bowl maybe the 3500 extra seats should be cut from the student section in the lower bowl and added to Tide Pride. With the additional revenue from Tide Pride and full price for the tickets this would produce an additional $2,000,000 in revenue. Donate half of this amount for student scholarships. I am sure 1000 scholarships at $1,000 would be appreciated.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Won't happen. The Tide Pride donation amount + full price ticket for the lower bowl seats is way too high to give them up to students. Just won't happen. And who is going to tell these folks that have been giving gobs of money for years that they are getting moved so their seat can be filled by a student for $10/game?

That's a good point. I wonder if the student demand would be higher if there were just one contiguous student section in the lower bowl. I can see how sitting in the upper deck and seemingly isolated would have a chilling effect on student demand.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Instead of adding student tickets in the lower bowl maybe the 3500 extra seats should be cut from the student section in the lower bowl and added to Tide Pride. With the additional revenue from Tide Pride and full price for the tickets this would produce an additional $2,000,000 in revenue.
Today's students are tomorrow's donors though.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Doubtful, as that would account for ~28% of the entire lower bowl seating.

The best idea I've seen is above - if any student hasn't shown up 30 minutes prior to kickoff, their seats go on sale to the public. You want your seat? Be there.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
Being a former student, I always took their side on this issue. Not anymore. I sat in the lower bowl (student section) during the Iron Bowl. It was crowded but not enough to explain why the upper deck was nearly empty. I say give the upper deck back to Tide Pride.

When I was a student I went to every home game we had, that included driving to Bham when we played at Legion Field. I don't have any sympothy for the students who don't use their tickets.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Being a former student, I always took their side on this issue. Not anymore. I sat in the lower bowl (student section) during the Iron Bowl. It was crowded but not enough to explain why the upper deck was nearly empty. I say give the upper deck back to Tide Pride.

When I was a student I went to every home game we had, that included driving to Bham when we played at Legion Field. I don't have any sympothy for the students who don't use their tickets.
Yeah, I've been a support of the students in these debates...but it is hard to argue with what the numbers are saying. Basically, we see around 11-13k students in the stadium each week so that should be the student seating cap.

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus
Doubtful, as that would account for ~28% of the entire lower bowl seating.

The best idea I've seen is above - if any student hasn't shown up 30 minutes prior to kickoff, their seats go on sale to the public. You want your seat? Be there.
This has been my thought for awhile. Instead of letting students order season tickets, they could purchase a regular ticket at a student price with ID on game days. Have a Student Ticket window at the South end zone gates. At one hour before kickoff, ticket sales open up to anyone, including students, but on a first come first serve basis. Because the ticket would be a a regular ticket a student could turn right around and sell it without problem.

BamafanNPC

3rd Team
Jan 3, 2007
Pell City, AL
My friends and I went to EVERY home game while we were in school, and I was a freshman in 90. Some of us had jobs, but worked around Saturdays, or called in sick. I cant remember the year, but we stayed in the stands during the lightning storm for the Ole Miss game at BDS. Probably not the smartest thing to have done looking back on it now, but dang it we were dedicated. We always sat at the top of the stadium (lower bowl), and the student section was always full. Even the games at Legion Field the student section was full. I say take away the tickets and give them to waiting Tide Pride members. I know those folks will appreciate them.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Seems to me that a university that is in the business of turning a profit would be intelligent enough to figure out there's no reason to allot more than 12K seats for students. The student section should never be split - whose stupid idea was that to begin with? Give them 12k in the lower bowl, do away with that stupid Greek block seating, and open that upper deck space to TP participants.

Sheesh! It's so simple! Get it together, UA!

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Yep, just too many tickets allotted for students, as demonstrated by attendance. Tide Pride gets upper deck, which the students appear not to want (ok, maybe a little of it is still for students) especially since University student population is being allowed to increase again next year. But the empty seats are embarrassing for the University, cost badly needed money, and frankly demonstrate a lack of planning and facility use. I do not think selling tickets on game day is a good idea. The ticket office has a hard enough time doing its job. I foresee about 8000 students still standing out there at kick off. So they overestimated demand; it happens. Got to fix it now. Part of that fix would probably be getting rid of block seating, too, I would think. An awful lot of organizations also overestimated how many students in their groups would show up.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
How many are left in the lower bowl of the student section? Some of that was lost with the expansion of the south end zone I believe. So if you limited the student section back to the lower it would be smaller than it was in 09

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Seems to me that a university that is in the business of turning a profit would be intelligent enough to figure out there's no reason to allot more than 12K seats for students. The student section should never be split - whose stupid idea was that to begin with? Give them 12k in the lower bowl, do away with that stupid Greek block seating, and open that upper deck space to TP participants.

Sheesh! It's so simple! Get it together, UA!
unfortunately, if the SGA (read, machine) is anything like it was when we were in school (i think we were there at similar times; me, 87-92 - i took a year off for bad behavior ;) ) the idiotic seating arrangement for the greeks will be there forever.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.