Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendan

Heck no, their are significant donors around the outer bounds of each side of the student section. The only way to move 17k students into the lower bowl would involve kicking long-time donors to lesser seating. I'd much rather see them just make the student section the old lower bowl seating arrangement and give the upper deck to alumni and other supporters who would be grateful for a seat regardless of the sometimes blistery weather conditions up there.

The lower bowl is about 13k in itself...I believe...

2. Advertisement

Re: For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendan

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAtlanta View Post
    Is giving the students 17k seats in the lower bowl a realistic or viable option?
    It would be rewarding bad behavior. I'm not sure how much seating they have in lower bowl right now, but considering they only use 12K seats anyway and want to all huddle together, how about 10K in the lower bowl and that's it? That sounds like a fair way to do it since they're just too good for those upper deck seats.

BamaNation All-American RollTide1017's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The upper deck is not the problem. In the 2 years prior to the expansion the student attendance average was 9,856 out of the 15,000 student tickets. The addition of the upper deck didn't create this problem, if just made it even more obvious.

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyb View Post
    They should get rid of the ACT card crap and go back to just having regular tickets. That way the students who don't want to go can sell them without the person buying them who's not a student having to shell out $80 extra dollars! Makes it impossible for students who can't go to sell their tickets, because most of the ones bought from students are friends and family that just want to sit with their friend/family that goes there!
    Don't give that I want to sell my ticket bull. You pay for a season what I generally pay for 1 ticket and there are many who pay more than that. I went as a student and I have gone for 30 years to games. Your problem is you dont' want to give away your ticket. Tough. There are plenty of people who will happily pay 10 times what you paid to get into a game. If you are too good to sit in the upper deck where I sat for many years, then go to another school where you don't have to worry about selling you seat because many schools can't sell their tickets for any amount. Ask the kids at Auburn how much they can sell their seats for this year. The system with the ACT cards is the most fair it could be. All you have to do is show up. If you don't show up and use your card you lose priority.

I am sick and tired of seeing the student section not filled and the greek's leaving at halftime. give thos tix to people who appreciate them and will show up on Saturday.
    Last edited by Rama Jama; November 29th, 2012 at 10:57 AM.

That's a good point. I wonder if the student demand would be higher if there were just one contiguous student section in the lower bowl. I can see how sitting in the upper deck and seemingly isolated would have a chilling effect on student demand.

Is giving the students 17k seats in the lower bowl a realistic or viable option?
    I sit in Section A (next to the student section). I live in Memphis, had tickets for nine years, I have missed two games (thursday night and my dad was in ICU). I will be hot mad if I get moved to the upper deck for students who only show up for the "big" games.
    Roll Tide

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMTA06 View Post
    I know I'll get killed for this, but if my TP seats were in the upper deck I wouldn't use them either. I can see why the students wouldn't want to sit there. I don't think the students should have been broken up.
    There are thousands of people on the TidePride waiting list that would love to have the opportunity to be in the upper deck.
    If God wanted me to be humble, he would have sent me to Auburn.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

My general feel is that the students are losing the upper deck and in the process 1-2k loyal student attendees will get the rub because of lower bowl capacity. I think the 17k capacity was over the top of the demand and made the issue worse than it has appeared in the past. I do think the upper deck gets affected a bit by people cramming around the sidelines and stands of the lower bowl but that doesn't explain a 5k delta.

BamaNation Second Team

Instead of adding student tickets in the lower bowl maybe the 3500 extra seats should be cut from the student section in the lower bowl and added to Tide Pride. With the additional revenue from Tide Pride and full price for the tickets this would produce an additional $2,000,000 in revenue. Donate half of this amount for student scholarships. I am sure 1000 scholarships at $1,000 would be appreciated.

BamaNation All-American AlistarWills's Avatar
    My Mood
    Tired on TideFans.com

Won't happen. The Tide Pride donation amount + full price ticket for the lower bowl seats is way too high to give them up to students. Just won't happen. And who is going to tell these folks that have been giving gobs of money for years that they are getting moved so their seat can be filled by a student for $10/game?

That's a good point. I wonder if the student demand would be higher if there were just one contiguous student section in the lower bowl. I can see how sitting in the upper deck and seemingly isolated would have a chilling effect on student demand.

I've read the end of The Book and I know who wins!

Quote Originally Posted by bama70 View Post
    Instead of adding student tickets in the lower bowl maybe the 3500 extra seats should be cut from the student section in the lower bowl and added to Tide Pride. With the additional revenue from Tide Pride and full price for the tickets this would produce an additional $2,000,000 in revenue.
    Today's students are tomorrow's donors though.

Doubtful, as that would account for ~28% of the entire lower bowl seating.

The best idea I've seen is above - if any student hasn't shown up 30 minutes prior to kickoff, their seats go on sale to the public. You want your seat? Be there.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

Today's students are tomorrow's donors though.
    Then they ought to show up. They already get to buy tickets for next to nothing.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation All-SEC bamagradinATL's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Being a former student, I always took their side on this issue. Not anymore. I sat in the lower bowl (student section) during the Iron Bowl. It was crowded but not enough to explain why the upper deck was nearly empty. I say give the upper deck back to Tide Pride.

When I was a student I went to every home game we had, that included driving to Bham when we played at Legion Field. I don't have any sympothy for the students who don't use their tickets.