Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

Re: For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendan

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAtlanta View Post
    Today's students are tomorrow's donors though.
    Today's students that show up to games are tomorrow's donors. The one's who feel so entitled that they don't even go are takers not givers. I doubt many of them will donate substantially to the University.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendan

Quote Originally Posted by bamagradinATL View Post
    Being a former student, I always took their side on this issue. Not anymore. I sat in the lower bowl (student section) during the Iron Bowl. It was crowded but not enough to explain why the upper deck was nearly empty. I say give the upper deck back to Tide Pride.

When I was a student I went to every home game we had, that included driving to Bham when we played at Legion Field. I don't have any sympothy for the students who don't use their tickets.
    Yeah, I've been a support of the students in these debates...but it is hard to argue with what the numbers are saying. Basically, we see around 11-13k students in the stadium each week so that should be the student seating cap.

My Mood
    Doh on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Doubtful, as that would account for ~28% of the entire lower bowl seating.

The best idea I've seen is above - if any student hasn't shown up 30 minutes prior to kickoff, their seats go on sale to the public. You want your seat? Be there.
    This has been my thought for awhile. Instead of letting students order season tickets, they could purchase a regular ticket at a student price with ID on game days. Have a Student Ticket window at the South end zone gates. At one hour before kickoff, ticket sales open up to anyone, including students, but on a first come first serve basis. Because the ticket would be a a regular ticket a student could turn right around and sell it without problem.

BamaNation First Team BamafanNPC's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

My friends and I went to EVERY home game while we were in school, and I was a freshman in 90. Some of us had jobs, but worked around Saturdays, or called in sick. I cant remember the year, but we stayed in the stands during the lightning storm for the Ole Miss game at BDS. Probably not the smartest thing to have done looking back on it now, but dang it we were dedicated. We always sat at the top of the stadium (lower bowl), and the student section was always full. Even the games at Legion Field the student section was full. I say take away the tickets and give them to waiting Tide Pride members. I know those folks will appreciate them.

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendance

Seems to me that a university that is in the business of turning a profit would be intelligent enough to figure out there's no reason to allot more than 12K seats for students. The student section should never be split - whose stupid idea was that to begin with? Give them 12k in the lower bowl, do away with that stupid Greek block seating, and open that upper deck space to TP participants.

Sheesh! It's so simple! Get it together, UA!
    "Sometimes the juice is worth the squeeze." - Marcus Luttrell, 'Service - A Navy SEAL at War'

BamaNation All-SEC

Yep, just too many tickets allotted for students, as demonstrated by attendance. Tide Pride gets upper deck, which the students appear not to want (ok, maybe a little of it is still for students) especially since University student population is being allowed to increase again next year. But the empty seats are embarrassing for the University, cost badly needed money, and frankly demonstrate a lack of planning and facility use. I do not think selling tickets on game day is a good idea. The ticket office has a hard enough time doing its job. I foresee about 8000 students still standing out there at kick off. So they overestimated demand; it happens. Got to fix it now. Part of that fix would probably be getting rid of block seating, too, I would think. An awful lot of organizations also overestimated how many students in their groups would show up.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation First Team Snuffy Smith's Avatar

For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendance

How many are left in the lower bowl of the student section? Some of that was lost with the expansion of the south end zone I believe. So if you limited the student section back to the lower it would be smaller than it was in 09

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SavannahDare View Post
    Seems to me that a university that is in the business of turning a profit would be intelligent enough to figure out there's no reason to allot more than 12K seats for students. The student section should never be split - whose stupid idea was that to begin with? Give them 12k in the lower bowl, do away with that stupid Greek block seating, and open that upper deck space to TP participants.

unfortunately, if the SGA (read, machine) is anything like it was when we were in school (i think we were there at similar times; me, 87-92 - i took a year off for bad behavior ) the idiotic seating arrangement for the greeks will be there forever.
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-SEC bamagradinATL's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by SavannahDare View Post

You know The Machine will have a fit about that.

Quote Originally Posted by bamagradinATL View Post
    You know The Machine will have a fit about that.
    The Doc is right, though. Put all the kids together, but don't let a tiny percentage of them control the best seats. That's been going on for the better part of a century and the university should stop it.

BamaNation First Team Snuffy Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    unfortunately, if the SGA (read, machine) is anything like it was when we were in school (i think we were there at similar times; me, 87-92 - i took a year off for bad behavior ) the idiotic seating arrangement for the greeks will be there forever.
    I don't buy that argument.

Tickets for the students are given (or sold) basically controlled by the athletic department. If the AD wanted to he could tell the SGA they get no more tickets or students would have to pay ticket price for a designated seat in the student section. The AD has allowed this to go on - but ultimately the ticket distribution is controlled by the athletic department and they can put any stipulation they want on their usage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation First Team

As a CURRENT student I have been to every game this year and find that people on here keep saying the same thing the students say. We don't want the upper deck seats. They decreased the block seating and gave it to first come first serve. That alone would've fixed the problem, but then they gave us the upper deck and nobody wanted that. Sorry they gave us something that no student wanted to be a part of. And I guess I need to apologize that these days, as the university goes national and global in recruiting students, some people that come to UA don't enjoy football and won't use the tickets. They get them and try to sell them to help pay for their bills. I don't know how to fix it but you can't force everyone to like football and it is hard to see which students will use their ticket or just sell them. I despise the students that get the tickets just to sell but I'm not sure how to stop them from ordering tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    I don't buy that argument.

Tickets for the students are given (or sold) basically controlled by the athletic department. If the AD wanted to he could tell the SGA they get no more tickets or students would have to pay ticket price for a designated seat in the student section. The AD has allowed this to go on - but ultimately the ticket distribution is controlled by the athletic department and they can put any stipulation they want on their usage.
    as long as the machine is controlling the SGA, i don't think greek block seating will go away. i think it should, but it won't.
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon