Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

Re: For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendan

And sorry that at 8:35 I don't wake up to check TideFans for new threads that throw students under the bus. The only way to get a reply on these topics is to agree that students suck or to have someone say how terrible students are these days. I don't enjoy starting my day being put down by people on here.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American theBIGyowski's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendan

I used to be an apologist for student seating in BDS as well...back when I was a student and recent grad.

In the past 5-6 years I have completely changed my mind, though. The lack of attendance is not just an embarrassment to the students...but to the fan base as a whole. The worst number I saw was 74.4% for the 2011 game against LSU. This was the "Game of the Century"...ESPN Gameday was there...and it was at night. That small of a percentage is embarrassing.

My solution...FWIW...would be to cut the allotment down to 12,000 and make it free. Yes...you read that...make it free. Why? If they sell 17,000 seats at $10 per game...that is only $170,000 per game. You would make that up with less than 500 Tide Pride seats...and you'd be getting 5,000 new Tide Pride seats sold and filled at each game. It used to be a privilege as a student that you bought season tickets...so charging for them ($5 when I was there) made sense. Attendance at football games is obviously not seen as a privilege by the majority of students any longer...so I say make it free and when 12,000 students have gone through the gates...everyone else is turned away. Because it's free you can't complain that you didn't get in...you should have shown up earlier. It's the only real solution IMHO...and I hope something like this happens sooner rather than later because I am tired of being on the Tide Pride wait list...been on it for almost 6 years now.
    I remember my first game as a child and the amazing feeling I got when I first walked into Bryant-Denny. I still get that same feeling every single game.

BamaNation First Team Snuffy Smith's Avatar

For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendance

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    as long as the machine is controlling the SGA, i don't think greek block seating will go away. i think it should, but it won't.
    You didn't understand my post. The machine is only in control because the AD allows it. Mal has the power to stop it by refusing to give the tickets to them unless they change the policy. The football program owns those seats - technically they could sell the whole stadium to Tide Pride if they chose to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rolltideallday View Post
    And sorry that at 8:35 I don't wake up to check TideFans for new threads that throw students under the bus. The only way to get a reply on these topics is to agree that students suck or to have someone say how terrible students are these days. I don't enjoy starting my day being put down by people on here.
    well, students these days don't know how good they have it. back in my day, when we were lucky enough to see games in bryant denny, we had to walk uphill to and from the stadium. when we had to trek to legion field, it was a 3-day trip at best through driving sleet and snow, i went through at least 20 mules during my time at the university.
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    You didn't understand my post. The machine is only in control because the AD allows it. Mal has the power to stop it by refusing to give the tickets to them unless they change the policy. The football program owns those seats - technically they could sell the whole stadium to Tide Pride if they chose to

the parents of the machine kids are some of the biggest donors to the university. their wishes carry a lot of sway
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame RVTIDER's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked on TideFans.com

This thread will only get better and better
    God is great, beer is good and people are crazy.

Wow another complaint from the people who do not go to school here and who the games are not even played for. It's for the students. It's student athletes playing for students. Stop complaining and the stadium was not close to being full for the iron bowl except the student section.

These threads need to stop and are pointless. This is real old real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by J4Bama View Post
    There are thousands of people on the TidePride waiting list that would love to have the opportunity to be in the upper deck.
    Yes, so many so, that I fear even if the student tickets was dropped from 17,000 to 12,000 and those 5000 were added to Tide Pride that my number still would not get called.

BamaNation First Team Snuffy Smith's Avatar

For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendance

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    the parents of the machine kids are some of the biggest donors to the university. their wishes carry a lot of sway
    That is a myth - they may be related but most likely it is at least 1 generation removed. Even the related ones probably only number in the single digit % of "the machine"

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

I'm all for removing the upper deck from student seating but once someone has purchased a ticket they have every right to leave early if they want, I don't but its not all about me. Plenty of fans leave early in a blow out that don't sit in the student section. Also I would like to point out the issues the school has selling the returned tickets from away teams to our fans, there is something to be said about a weak home schedule.

Mods please stops this thread it has been posted over and over and is pointless.

BamaNation Hall of Fame RVTIDER's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by AlexD View Post
    Mods please stops this thread it has been posted over and over and is pointless.
    Have to disagree with you here. We now have DATA to prove what we have thought the entire time. We are just discussing a way to make it better.
    God is great, beer is good and people are crazy.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

The machine didn't seem to have the power to keep hell week.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe