Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendan

When students pay the same for their ticket as I pay for mine every year then they have earned the right to show up or not show up or sell the ticket or do whatever they want. If Alabama students want to see how good they have it - ask an Aggie what they pay for their student ticket package.
    I pay tuition. Which means I am paying around a 1000 for a ticket. Do you pay that? I go to school at the University and keep it running do you do that? I have more right to do anything or not at the University than you by far.

When y'all can fill the rest of the stadium then complain. Plus again it is a school for students and it is student athletes therefor it is for students not you.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American AlistarWills's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired on TideFans.com

Re: For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendan

Quote Originally Posted by uaintn View Post
    Should there be a way to make more money on that seat for a game where a Tide Prider doesn't show and get someone who wants to see the game into the stadium? You bet. I just don't know how to accomplish it, but would love to hear ideas. So would the Crimson Tide Foundation.
    Do what I do, take some PRIDE in supporting the team and make sure the seat is filled. I'm in Tide Pride (upper deck seats thank you! Right on top of the band) and due to my son deciding to play football this year, I couldn't make it to every game and had to sell several tickets. I made sure someone was in my seat every game, even to the point of selling some tickets at a loss. I couldn't stand the thought of my seats being empty!
    I've read the end of The Book and I know who wins!

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Shocked on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    Yeah, but block student seating and ritualized hazing are two completely different things
    They have discretion over seating at the pleasure of the athletic department. It could be taken away.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by AlexD View Post
    Wow another complaint from the people who do not go to school here and who the games are not even played for. It's for the students. It's student athletes playing for students. Stop complaining and the stadium was not close to being full for the iron bowl because of the student section.

These threads need to stop and are pointless. This is real old real fast.
    FIFY

If the game was only played for the students, then there would have only been 10,851 in attendance for the Auburn game .
    "If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them." - As Candidus in the Boston Gazette, January 20, 1772

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot30 View Post
    FIFY

If the game was only played for the students, then there would have only been 10,851 in attendance for the Auburn game .
    If you think the seats outside of the student section were totally full you should get glasses. There were plenty of empty seats around the stadium

Post Thanks / Like

FIFY

If the game was only played for the students, then there would have only been 10,851 in attendance for the Auburn game

No do not change what I said. The stadium had thousands of non student seats open.

So is the school not for the students? I must be here for no reason huh?

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rolltideallday View Post
    If you think the seats outside of the student section were totally full you should get glasses. There were plenty of empty seats around the stadium
    I wear contacts, but thanks for the "advice". Obviously, I didn't say that. Were there a few empty seats scattered around BDS? Sure. But, an entire block of seating that is an eyesore? Come on.
    "If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them." - As Candidus in the Boston Gazette, January 20, 1772

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    They have discretion over seating at the pleasure of the athletic department. It could be taken away.
    It could, but it won't.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Do general admission ticket holders show some truancy? Sure, but multiple sections of empty seats in student seating sticks out like a sore thumb and the guilty party is easily identifiable. It sucks that the students are on the fast path to 10-12k seating again but it is clear that the additional seating was getting ignored.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired on TideFans.com

I do have to say, you seem to be one of the entitled ones that was mentioned earlier in the thread.
    Lets stretch your ideas a little and see where we get.

Students get 17,000 seats at $10 a pop and do not fill them up. That totals to $1.19 million per season in ticket sales. Now I do not know if the seats the band occupies is part of the alloted 17,0000 seats, if they do, this number will shrink quite a bit.

Taking away the student seating, that leaves say 84,0000 seats to Tide Pride/alumni/faculty/visitors etc. Lets use a round number of $50/ticket (closer to the lower end of the ticket price scale for the year, and I'm not sure if Faculty/Alumni get any discounts for their seats) and doing the math that comes up to $29.4 million in ticket sales. Add in the Tide Pride donations that folks have to "donate" in order to get to pay for those tickets, and you are adding in many millions more every year.

With these funds, we have a nice shiny stadium with upper decks all the way around, flashing advertising boards, 4 HD Tv's in each corner to watch replays and more advertisements on, a PA system that at times is too loud, and many other amenities that others schools are quite envious of.

Now my question to you is this, were the aformentioned amenities paid for with $1.19 million in student ticket sales each year and apparently tuition, or was it paid for by the 84,000 other seats that pay full price for tickets sometimes at $80 per seat and their donations? And of those two groups, who do you really think the amenities were intended for? (hint: I'm going with the people that have the money to buy the other seats seeing as how there is so much advertising on them.)
    The University wants its student population to enjoy their time there while getting a good education. This includes supplying a cut rate ticket to attend athletics events. But please, you need to get out of your head the idea that it's all about the students and not for the 84,000 others. Were it not for "the others" you could enjoy Denny Stadium at it's size back in the 30's, but then again, you couldn't fill that up either, at 24,000 seats.

I pay tuition. Which means I am paying around a 1000 for a ticket. Do you pay that? I go to school at the University and keep it running do you do that? I have more right to do anything or not at the University than you by far.

When y'all can fill the rest of the stadium then complain. Plus again it is a school for students and it is student athletes therefor it is for students not you.

BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rolltideallday View Post
    And sorry that at 8:35 I don't wake up to check TideFans for new threads that throw students under the bus. The only way to get a reply on these topics is to agree that students suck or to have someone say how terrible students are these days. I don't enjoy starting my day being put down by people on here.
    I'll reply to you. Hi. How are you? How's your day going? Have a great day.
    RIP Hub

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired on TideFans.com

No do not change what I said. The stadium had thousands of non student seats open.

So is the school not for the students? I must be here for no reason huh?
    If you want to get down to it, the school is there for the promotion of higher education and RESEARCH. And I put research in all caps because you have got to be crazy to think that the Professors are there to teach. They are there to obtain grants do research, and make a name for themselves. Most couldn't care less for the teaching aspect of what they do.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

The last thing I will say is that the article clearly states that the student section averaged just over 12,000 students a game in 2008 and never got above 13,000 on average. So why did Alabama increase the student section to 17,000? If we didn't fill up 15,000 we aren't gonna fill up 17,000. They should have left it alone and moved block seating over one section like they did. The university should get a lot of blame for adding student seats that the data clearly shows there was no demand for.