For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendance

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
Seems to me that a university that is in the business of turning a profit would be intelligent enough to figure out there's no reason to allot more than 12K seats for students. The student section should never be split - whose stupid idea was that to begin with? Give them 12k in the lower bowl, do away with that stupid Greek block seating, and open that upper deck space to TP participants.

Sheesh! It's so simple! Get it together, UA!
You know The Machine will have a fit about that. :smile:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
You know The Machine will have a fit about that. :smile:
The Doc is right, though. Put all the kids together, but don't let a tiny percentage of them control the best seats. That's been going on for the better part of a century and the university should stop it.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
unfortunately, if the SGA (read, machine) is anything like it was when we were in school (i think we were there at similar times; me, 87-92 - i took a year off for bad behavior ;) ) the idiotic seating arrangement for the greeks will be there forever.
I don't buy that argument.

Tickets for the students are given (or sold) basically controlled by the athletic department. If the AD wanted to he could tell the SGA they get no more tickets or students would have to pay ticket price for a designated seat in the student section. The AD has allowed this to go on - but ultimately the ticket distribution is controlled by the athletic department and they can put any stipulation they want on their usage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
As a CURRENT student I have been to every game this year and find that people on here keep saying the same thing the students say. We don't want the upper deck seats. They decreased the block seating and gave it to first come first serve. That alone would've fixed the problem, but then they gave us the upper deck and nobody wanted that. Sorry they gave us something that no student wanted to be a part of. And I guess I need to apologize that these days, as the university goes national and global in recruiting students, some people that come to UA don't enjoy football and won't use the tickets. They get them and try to sell them to help pay for their bills. I don't know how to fix it but you can't force everyone to like football and it is hard to see which students will use their ticket or just sell them. I despise the students that get the tickets just to sell but I'm not sure how to stop them from ordering tickets.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I don't buy that argument.

Tickets for the students are given (or sold) basically controlled by the athletic department. If the AD wanted to he could tell the SGA they get no more tickets or students would have to pay ticket price for a designated seat in the student section. The AD has allowed this to go on - but ultimately the ticket distribution is controlled by the athletic department and they can put any stipulation they want on their usage.
as long as the machine is controlling the SGA, i don't think greek block seating will go away. i think it should, but it won't.

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
And sorry that at 8:35 I don't wake up to check TideFans for new threads that throw students under the bus. The only way to get a reply on these topics is to agree that students suck or to have someone say how terrible students are these days. I don't enjoy starting my day being put down by people on here.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
I used to be an apologist for student seating in BDS as well...back when I was a student and recent grad.

In the past 5-6 years I have completely changed my mind, though. The lack of attendance is not just an embarrassment to the students...but to the fan base as a whole. The worst number I saw was 74.4% for the 2011 game against LSU. This was the "Game of the Century"...ESPN Gameday was there...and it was at night. That small of a percentage is embarrassing.

My solution...FWIW...would be to cut the allotment down to 12,000 and make it free. Yes...you read that...make it free. Why? If they sell 17,000 seats at $10 per game...that is only $170,000 per game. You would make that up with less than 500 Tide Pride seats...and you'd be getting 5,000 new Tide Pride seats sold and filled at each game. It used to be a privilege as a student that you bought season tickets...so charging for them ($5 when I was there) made sense. Attendance at football games is obviously not seen as a privilege by the majority of students any longer...so I say make it free and when 12,000 students have gone through the gates...everyone else is turned away. Because it's free you can't complain that you didn't get in...you should have shown up earlier. It's the only real solution IMHO...and I hope something like this happens sooner rather than later because I am tired of being on the Tide Pride wait list...been on it for almost 6 years now.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
as long as the machine is controlling the SGA, i don't think greek block seating will go away. i think it should, but it won't.
You didn't understand my post. The machine is only in control because the AD allows it. Mal has the power to stop it by refusing to give the tickets to them unless they change the policy. The football program owns those seats - technically they could sell the whole stadium to Tide Pride if they chose to

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
And sorry that at 8:35 I don't wake up to check TideFans for new threads that throw students under the bus. The only way to get a reply on these topics is to agree that students suck or to have someone say how terrible students are these days. I don't enjoy starting my day being put down by people on here.
well, students these days don't know how good they have it. back in my day, when we were lucky enough to see games in bryant denny, we had to walk uphill to and from the stadium. when we had to trek to legion field, it was a 3-day trip at best through driving sleet and snow, i went through at least 20 mules during my time at the university.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
You didn't understand my post. The machine is only in control because the AD allows it. Mal has the power to stop it by refusing to give the tickets to them unless they change the policy. The football program owns those seats - technically they could sell the whole stadium to Tide Pride if they chose to

the parents of the machine kids are some of the biggest donors to the university. their wishes carry a lot of sway

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
Wow another complaint from the people who do not go to school here and who the games are not even played for. It's for the students. It's student athletes playing for students. Stop complaining and the stadium was not close to being full for the iron bowl except the student section.

These threads need to stop and are pointless. This is real old real fast.

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
There are thousands of people on the TidePride waiting list that would love to have the opportunity to be in the upper deck.
Yes, so many so, that I fear even if the student tickets was dropped from 17,000 to 12,000 and those 5000 were added to Tide Pride that my number still would not get called.:mad:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
the parents of the machine kids are some of the biggest donors to the university. their wishes carry a lot of sway
That is a myth - they may be related but most likely it is at least 1 generation removed. Even the related ones probably only number in the single digit % of "the machine"

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
I'm all for removing the upper deck from student seating but once someone has purchased a ticket they have every right to leave early if they want, I don't but its not all about me. Plenty of fans leave early in a blow out that don't sit in the student section. Also I would like to point out the issues the school has selling the returned tickets from away teams to our fans, there is something to be said about a weak home schedule.

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
Have to disagree with you here. We now have DATA to prove what we have thought the entire time. We are just discussing a way to make it better.
By saying the same thing from the last 20 threads on the topic? Adding an article to the beginning and saying the same exact thing as every other "students are the only empty seats ever" thread doesn't make it different

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
The stadium is not full in any section. Take the upper deck no one wants it. So many complaints but its not just the students I saw a ton of open seats in tide pride areas and other sections during last game they should take those tickets away right?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.