For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendance

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I do have to say, you seem to be one of the entitled ones that was mentioned earlier in the thread.
Lets stretch your ideas a little and see where we get.

Students get 17,000 seats at $10 a pop and do not fill them up. That totals to $1.19 million per season in ticket sales. Now I do not know if the seats the band occupies is part of the alloted 17,0000 seats, if they do, this number will shrink quite a bit.

Taking away the student seating, that leaves say 84,0000 seats to Tide Pride/alumni/faculty/visitors etc. Lets use a round number of $50/ticket (closer to the lower end of the ticket price scale for the year, and I'm not sure if Faculty/Alumni get any discounts for their seats) and doing the math that comes up to $29.4 million in ticket sales. Add in the Tide Pride donations that folks have to "donate" in order to get to pay for those tickets, and you are adding in many millions more every year.

With these funds, we have a nice shiny stadium with upper decks all the way around, flashing advertising boards, 4 HD Tv's in each corner to watch replays and more advertisements on, a PA system that at times is too loud, and many other amenities that others schools are quite envious of.

Now my question to you is this, were the aformentioned amenities paid for with $1.19 million in student ticket sales each year and apparently tuition, or was it paid for by the 84,000 other seats that pay full price for tickets sometimes at $80 per seat and their donations? And of those two groups, who do you really think the amenities were intended for? (hint: I'm going with the people that have the money to buy the other seats seeing as how there is so much advertising on them.)
The University wants its student population to enjoy their time there while getting a good education. This includes supplying a cut rate ticket to attend athletics events. But please, you need to get out of your head the idea that it's all about the students and not for the 84,000 others. Were it not for "the others" you could enjoy Denny Stadium at it's size back in the 30's, but then again, you couldn't fill that up either, at 24,000 seats.

I pay tuition. Which means I am paying around a 1000 for a ticket. Do you pay that? I go to school at the University and keep it running do you do that? I have more right to do anything or not at the University than you by far.

When y'all can fill the rest of the stadium then complain. Plus again it is a school for students and it is student athletes therefor it is for students not you.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
And sorry that at 8:35 I don't wake up to check TideFans for new threads that throw students under the bus. The only way to get a reply on these topics is to agree that students suck or to have someone say how terrible students are these days. I don't enjoy starting my day being put down by people on here.
I'll reply to you. Hi. How are you? How's your day going? Have a great day.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006

No do not change what I said. The stadium had thousands of non student seats open.

So is the school not for the students? I must be here for no reason huh?
If you want to get down to it, the school is there for the promotion of higher education and RESEARCH. And I put research in all caps because you have got to be crazy to think that the Professors are there to teach. They are there to obtain grants do research, and make a name for themselves. Most couldn't care less for the teaching aspect of what they do.

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
The last thing I will say is that the article clearly states that the student section averaged just over 12,000 students a game in 2008 and never got above 13,000 on average. So why did Alabama increase the student section to 17,000? If we didn't fill up 15,000 we aren't gonna fill up 17,000. They should have left it alone and moved block seating over one section like they did. The university should get a lot of blame for adding student seats that the data clearly shows there was no demand for.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Wow another complaint from the people who do not go to school here and who the games are not even played for. It's for the students. It's student athletes playing for students. Stop complaining and the stadium was not close to being full for the iron bowl except the student section.

These threads need to stop and are pointless. This is real old real fast.
Just a quick suggestion. After class this afternoon, see if you can schedule an eye exam. :cool:

RVTIDER

Hall of Fame
Oct 29, 2004
Tuscaloosa, Al.
The last thing I will say is that the article clearly states that the student section averaged just over 12,000 students a game in 2008 and never got above 13,000 on average. So why did Alabama increase the student section to 17,000? If we didn't fill up 15,000 we aren't gonna fill up 17,000. They should have left it alone and moved block seating over one section like they did. The university should get a lot of blame for adding student seats that the data clearly shows there was no demand for.
I can agree with this. See this is how a debate should go. The other nonsense being spewed is what drives these threads over the edge.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
Just a quick suggestion. After class this afternoon, see if you can schedule an eye exam.
Oh good one real mature from an "adult". I was not saying student section was full. Just that the bottom part was as full or more so than the rest of the stadium. But it does seem like some of you need eye exams.:wink:

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN

No do not change what I said. The stadium had thousands of non student seats open.

So is the school not for the students? I must be here for no reason huh?
That's not what you wrote in your previous post. You are there to get an education. So was I many years ago.

So, if you pay $1000 for a ticket, then what do you pay for tuition? Maybe you didn't know, but many of the TF members are alumni of UA ,including the owner and many of the mods. We went through a lot to be able to earn a degree from our great university. Just because you are a current student, doesn't mean you are any better than the many fans that weren't students. Have you even considered that these people pay the taxes that subsidize your tuition? That shows a lack of gratitude from you. Many of these fans have been on the Tide Pride waiting list for years. They have every right to be mad that almost 7000 students who had tickets did not show up for the Auburn game. You guys have a losing argument.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
I'm alright. Just trying to get my focus off of going to ATL Saturday long enough to prepare for my final Friday night. How about yourself?
Good, man. Thanks for asking. Just trying to make a living so my children can eat. Fortunately, the subsidies NYBF sends down every year buys them shoes. Friday night final? What kind of major you in? I'd choke a professor for less than that.

See, we can all get along.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
unfortunately, if the SGA (read, machine) is anything like it was when we were in school (i think we were there at similar times; me, 87-92 - i took a year off for bad behavior ;) ) the idiotic seating arrangement for the greeks will be there forever.
Yeah, I graduated in '90 and well recall the Greek/Machine influence. Of course there was also a cocaine ring being run out of the SAE house back then too. Remember them getting shut down for a year? I would hope some things have changed for the better. :)

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Oh good one real mature from an "adult". I was not saying student section was full. Just that the bottom part was as full or more so than the rest of the stadium. But it does seem like some of you need eye exams.:wink:
Who said I'm an adult? I've got the mind and body of a 18 yr old. Strapping, I believe, is what the older folk would refer to it as.

Lookit, you've seen many on here, myself included, say we've long sided with the students on these types of issues. But the cat's out of the bag. And if you want to be "grown up" about it, you have to understand, which I don't think you do. Some day, you will.

And yes, I do need glasses. ;)

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
So, if you pay $1000 for a ticket, then what do you pay for tuition? Maybe you didn't know, but many of the TF members are alumni of UA ,including the owner and many of the mods. We went through a lot to be able to earn a degree from our great university. Just because you are a current student, doesn't mean you are any better than the many fans that weren't students. Have you even considered that these people pay the taxes that subsidize your tuition? That shows a lack of gratitude from you. Many of these fans have been on the Tide Pride waiting list for years. They have every right to be mad that almost 7000 students who had tickets did not show up for the Auburn game. You guys have a losing argument.
Why not get mad at the non students for not showing up? You make it sound like I'm not grateful to go to school here when I work my tail off to be able to. You are making this that I should be grateful to you and alumni..why? Because you pay taxes like I do myself through my job? What makes y'all so much better? I am not saying that student are better now. Not saying the upper section should be students it should be given to others. I'm just tired of so many complaints about students when the same can be said about the general public.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yeah, I graduated in '90 and well recall the Greek/Machine influence. Of course there was also a cocaine ring being run out of the SAE house back then too. Remember them getting shut down for a year? I would hope some things have changed for the better. :)
ha, i remember the SAE coke ring and their suspension well, after bama, i became good friends with a guy that was an SAE, he didn't like to talk about that too much ;). i would say that a majority of the drugs that made it to campus in those days came through the greek system (or so i was told ;) ). i think the thing that ticked me off most about the machine was the closing of bama bino's. it was swill pizza, but for $5 for a large 'za and coke (with commemorative cup perfect for keg parties ;) ) i lived on it.

RVTIDER

Hall of Fame
Oct 29, 2004
Tuscaloosa, Al.
Who said I'm an adult? I've got the mind and body of a 18 yr old. Strapping, I believe, is what the older folk would refer to it as.

Lookit, you've seen many on here, myself included, say we've long sided with the students on these types of issues. But the cat's out of the bag. And if you want to be "grown up" about it, you have to understand, which I don't think you do. Some day, you will.

And yes, I do need glasses. ;)
How you doin???? Want to go to a ballgame with me? I think we can get some student tickets cheap.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
This is not rocket science. The lower bowl was full. The upper deck was not, and has not been since they went to this system. It was a stupid idea to split up the student section in the first place. It's time for a change. Maybe the educational quality at Alabama has fallen since I went there.
i think i was one of the last ones to get a rocket science degree at bama. back in the good ole days, they handed them out like candy

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
ha, i remember the SAE coke ring and their suspension well, after bama, i became good friends with a guy that was an SAE, he didn't like to talk about that too much ;). i would say that a majority of the drugs that made it to campus in those days came through the greek system (or so i was told ;) ). i think the thing that ticked me off most about the machine was the closing of bama bino's. it was swill pizza, but for $5 for a large 'za and coke (with commemorative cup perfect for keg parties ;) ) i lived on it.
Dude...the apartment over me was occupied by three knuckleheads that delivered for Bama Binos. I ate enough of that stuff to kill three goats. And about the only glasses we owned were plastic and yellow. ;)

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
When we have our angioplasties one day, it will be thanks to BamaBino's. I lived off them too! :)

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
As a former student, I do believe that the student section issue should be fixed.

My proposal is as follows (and yes, it's highly idealistic)...

- No block seating; give remaining upper deck section to TidePride or regular ticket-buyers.
- Student section remains where it is, and it remains first come, first serve basis.
- Since tickets are now electronic, charge those with student tickets BUT do not attend the game the face value of a regular ticket for that game. In addition, penalize those same students with no ability to buy any football ticket (regular or postseason) for a whole calendar year.

I would also set up a point system where if you attend other non-football games/competitions, those points can go towards getting a higher priority on buying student football tickets.

Students that go to the game do not need to be punished, but those that buy tickets and do not go/do not care to go should be. I'm all for eliminating seats if the attendance numbers do not justify keeping those seats for students.

A friend of mine posed a theory as to why the new president from Texas Tech left. He was wanting to take on the Greeks, and others at the University (BOT, etc.) would not allow him, so they gave him the option to be fired or allowed to resign.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.