For those who say the students show up at games... Link to article about attendance

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I am with those that wish it was easier for students to scalp their tickets like in the old days. I believe my son told me he has to go to the office and pay to upgrade when he sold his LSU ticket last year.. At least the eyesore problem would go away if students can't make a game, or don't want to.

How about making it the drunkard zone?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I am with those that wish it was easier for students to scalp their tickets like in the old days. I believe my son told me he has to go to the office and pay to upgrade when he sold his LSU ticket last year.. At least the eyesore problem would go away if students can't make a game, or don't want to.
I think it's the other way around. The students are buying all the tickets dirt cheap, because from what I understand it makes it easier to keep getting them and so they can sell them when they want to. They are so cheap that there is little reason not to buy them. I imagine there are students roping other students into buying them so they can orchestrate selling them themselves, and make a profit. So, one student might get several others to buy tickets, all of which never had any intention of showing up. If he can't or doesn't sell them? Empty seats...

The issue to me is they are too easily available, not that they are too hard to sell. I would let them go through the process of selling a ticket, but I'd also insure that it made getting another one more difficult as well.

The purpose of buying an Alabama ticket should never be to resell it. The problem isn't that someone had his margin cut into when he sold the LSU ticket for a huge profit. The problem is that he bought the ticket with no intention of going to the game.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Originally Posted by AlexD I pay tuition. Which means I am paying around a 1000 for a ticket. Do you pay that? I go to school at the University and keep it running do you do that? I have more right to do anything or not at the University than you by far.
When y'all can fill the rest of the stadium then complain. Plus again it is a school for students and it is student athletes therefor it is for students not you
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If Alex were correct... Students would support the school by attending our games.
I'm a member of the 'USE IT OR LOOSE IT' camp. We have been over generous with
student tickets and the result is a sellout with lots of empty seats. Cut the allotment.
Solution: Move all student seating to lower section and sell the upper sections
as general admission. Break up the block seating for Frats... That will help too.
That just might fill our stadium.

Looks bad when we have a premiere football team and we can't fill our stadium.

Last edited:

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I think it's the other way around. The students are buying all the tickets dirt cheap, because from what I understand it makes it easier to keep getting them and so they can sell them when they want to. They are so cheap that there is little reason not to buy them. I imagine there are students roping other students into buying them so they can orchestrate selling them themselves, and make a profit. So, one student might get several others to buy tickets, all of which never had any intention of showing up. If he can't or doesn't sell them? Empty seats...

The issue to me is they are too easily available, not that they are too hard to sell. I would let them go through the process of selling a ticket, but I'd also insure that it made getting another one more difficult as well.

The purpose of buying an Alabama ticket should never be to resell it. The problem isn't that someone had his margin cut into when he sold the LSU ticket for a huge profit. The problem is that he bought the ticket with no intention of going to the game.
If this were the case then someone would be sitting in those seats. Someone will buy those tickets as soon as they hit the secondary market. The students simply have too many seats. If the University would turn those tickets over to Tide Pride, they would be sold in an instant, and no more empty seats. Tide Pride has a huge waiting list and many of those people would love to have those seats. IMO, the University should turn over the entire upper deck portion of the student section to Tide Pride.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Considering the price of a student ticket is cheaper than the price of a pack of cigarettes...
I wonder it the students realize the intrinsic value of tickets to the general public.
(Do folks still smoke now a days?)

I remember my college days as living in a world independent of the outside world.
You tend to either not care or loose touch with the outside world, until you graduate.
(At least I did...)

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If this were the case then someone would be sitting in those seats. Someone will buy those tickets as soon as they hit the secondary market. The students simply have too many seats. If the University would turn those tickets over to Tide Pride, they would be sold in an instant, and no more empty seats. Tide Pride has a huge waiting list and many of those people would love to have those seats. IMO, the University should turn over the entire upper deck portion of the student section to Tide Pride.
The students have to pay to sell the tickets to. This is so the University doesn't get ripped off. This means they will happily sell the LSU home game ticket, and that profit blows away what they spent on tickets for the entire season. They sell a couple more for even a modest profit and they could do quite well for themselves. The cost to sell a ticket prohibits doing it for lesser games though, so they just don't show up and that's that. I think what people are not realizing is the huge number of students that are just never going, period. Sometimes they sell their ticket, but they are never actually sitting down in the stadium.

There are students that want tickets and are left out though. It's just too easy to buy these tickets dirt cheap and face no penalty for never intending to use them. I think you should reduce the seating, but as I said earlier I think you should actually float those tickets between students and general admission. If and only if both of those categories are not buying the tickets and attending the games should they go to Tide Pride (as we know that would be permanent, even if the Tide Pride people just end up re-selling their tickets to).

I think the focus should be put on selling tickets to people who are going to go to the game and cheer, at least with these tickets. The issue isn't just lack of people showing up, it's general apathy and Tide Pride has that problem to. I think if you make some tickets available as general admission, you'll get some new blood in there that actually wants to go to the games and cheer.

Last edited:

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
It seems so strange to me that we continue to run the system like this. If they demand to have the current setup where every student needs to sign up ahead of time to reserve tickets, they need an easier way to pass those on to alumni. If this is the case, I would prefer an easy-scalping option with a fee that gets paid at the gate by anyone entering without a student ID, perhaps $25-50 depending on the game, so that the student ticket-holder does not have to pay before he/she can sell it.

Perhaps a better solution has already been mentioned. First-come, first-serve, students swipe their card and pay on their ACT card. 10 minutes before kickoff, any remaining seats get opened to the public at a higher charge. If a student comes in after kickoff, they can pay the $10, but they may not have seats left if they arrive after that 10-minute cutoff. As a student, I got locked out from having tickets for 2 years because I was too ADHD to make the deadline. That's on me, but it was frustrating as a big fan with slight organizational issues. But I ABSOLUTELY would have waited an hour in line to get into games with my ACT card on game-day,! And I would have loved sharing space with alumni and other non-student fans. They just shouldn't complain when I'm screaming and standing all game...

As for logistics: no alcohol sold in student zones, regardless of whether you're a student or not. One bad incident involving the student section, and things would get ugly. There's probably enough alcohol snuck-in already.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Make admission free to all students that show up to the gate with a valid student ID. This removes the chance for a student to buy season tickets and not show up to certain games...leaving empty seats. It also keeps students from turning it into a profit scheme.

The athletic department could even open up "student guest" tickets on the Monday prior to the Saturday game where students could purchase an extra ticket for a friend or family member. Perhaps cap these at ~100 per game and sell them at the reduced price that the faculty/staff pay. You are guaranteed these tickets will be used because of the price being paid for them.

By selling ticket packages in their current format...the supply has far outweighed the game day demand. Like I said before...cut the student section back down to 12,000...make it free admission with a valid student ID...and sell an extra 100 or so student guest tickets the Monday of the game week. I guarantee you the problem of student attendance would disappear.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Why don't we work on making it easier for the students to get to the games. Remove the ridiculous half season for Freshman system, make it easier to turn in tickets if you're not going to use them. Scan in the MDB and others who walk through the gates without a ticket, etc.

I understand why some of you want to get into the games and are upset that there are empty seats, but I would rather see 2-3000 more loud screaming students at the games in their seats. It seems to be largely a problem of the ticketing system more than just a problem lack of desire.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I wasn't enrolled at the time of student season ticket package purchase this year. I had to get one of those partial packages like the Freshman are offered. You either got 4 games with two clunkers and Texas A&M + Ole Miss or 3 games with a clunker and MSU + Auburn. I went with the three game to ensure Auburn tickets and got the rest from the waitlist. The problem is that people either have to buy into the whole season, part of the season, or play the waitlist game every week.

Personally, I think they should just use the MyTicket system on a week-to-week basis. Students can sign up for the games on Sunday morning through Monday (or whenever it is filled) then they open the remainder of the tickets up for general admission by Tuesday.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Students get the tickets for the heck of it and don't go to the games, that's the large scale problem. What you are talking about is a side issue. A lot of it is probably from freshman.

If they keep the current system they should make students jump through more hoops to get the tickets other than checking a box that their parents are paying for (me!). The same students that are too lazy to go to the game are to lazy to upgrade the ticket and sell it. Empty seat. My son is one of them, although I am proud of him. He's a junior in electrical engineering. Football fan not.

Kids today watch games on television. Outdoor activities make them feel weird.

The kids that are students grew up when Alabama was going through a decade of probation and might not have developed the Bama passion that we have. We are at the peak right now. Coach Saban will effect a generation of fans and create fanatics that will start showing up in a few years. This has to be part of it.

Last edited:

Heisman4Bama

1st Team
Jun 18, 2010
I am currently a student here at UA and I will have to say that the biggest reason why the students are not attending the games is that the students I have either talked to or overheard talking say "the games are over by halftime" and the games "are not interesting." Dumb excuses, I know.

BTW, If any of you would like to know how the ticket process works, it is actually extremely simple. In the spring and summer, if you are an incoming freshman enrolled for the upcoming fall term, you will select a package, A or B that each contain different game options. The total price you have to pay is $50. If you are an upperclassman, you just sign up to get your season student tickets in the Spring that allow you to go to every game the next fall season. The total price to pay is $80. If you dont have a ticket for whatever reason, you put your name into a lottery-type selection process. That is, if there are an excess number of student tickets available or one student just gives up their ticket, students without a ticket get one on a first come, first serve basis. Also, if you get a ticket through the lottery, the ticket is of no cost. I dont think the prices for these tickets are expensive at all. There are enough tickets available each and every game. There should be no excuses and I promise there is little to no studying on Saturdays for about 99% of the university lol.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Make admission free to all students that show up to the gate with a valid student ID. This removes the chance for a student to buy season tickets and not show up to certain games...leaving empty seats. It also keeps students from turning it into a profit scheme.

The athletic department could even open up "student guest" tickets on the Monday prior to the Saturday game where students could purchase an extra ticket for a friend or family member. Perhaps cap these at ~100 per game and sell them at the reduced price that the faculty/staff pay. You are guaranteed these tickets will be used because of the price being paid for them.

By selling ticket packages in their current format...the supply has far outweighed the game day demand. Like I said before...cut the student section back down to 12,000...make it free admission with a valid student ID...and sell an extra 100 or so student guest tickets the Monday of the game week. I guarantee you the problem of student attendance would disappear.

Wouldn't this still allow students to resell them?

I think they should just have student redeem their ticket. If they have a friend who needs a ticket, have them get tickets the same way everyone else does.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I am currently a student here at UA and I will have to say that the biggest reason why the students are not attending the games is that the students I have either talked to or overheard talking say "the games are over by halftime" and the games "are not interesting." Dumb excuses, I know.
Good point and I believe goes back to that these same students were 10 years old when our team was in a decade of decline/embarrassment and a larger percentage of students right now go to the games as a social event or something to do, but are not big Alabama fans. Not all but a large amount. I can almost guarantee in four years that a much larger percentage of students will be hard core fans than right now when the coach Saban kids reach age. Would I have had the same passion for the team when I attended school in the early 90's if the team had been on probation from the time I was 6-16? I know I wouldn't have.

DCETP

Scout Team
Sep 29, 2012
This is weird. How are students not packing out the games when we have the premier program in CFB? I never remember the student section being empty when I was there (00-05). But then again I wasn't usually looking behind me. :smile: I think the explanation that Bama was actually down while many current students were growing up makes a lot of sense. Many of them may not have become fans at that formative age.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.