Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mock playoff committee chooses this year's 4 team field (from SI.com)

Funny, that after all the crying last year, the winner of the SEC championship game is the only one of the four which would have played in a conference championship.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

We will regret ending the BCS.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=selmaborntidefan;2046861]OK, I'll bite:

In the NFL, it's VERY EASY to determine WHO NUMBER ONE AND NUMBER TWO IS - there's no real argument.

How in the world do you do that in college football?[/QUOTE]

That's always been my point. How can you really determine whether or not Alabama is better than Florida, Oregon, or Florida State? Until you play it on the field you can't. All you can give is opinion and mathematical formula.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GreatDanish's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    Many of us already do. But, yes. Agreed.

FB | REC Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    I love the guy who felt Florida's loss to UGA shouldn't count.

Remind me again why we have this? Oh, that's right - because Alabama's loss to LSU in the regular season didn't count.

Seems to me like the exact same logic.

I don't care for the BCS, but krazy is right - they WILL find a way to screw it up.
    They already have ... the moment it started . The BCS , post 2003 tweaking , has never failed . Playoff = greed - nothing more , nothing less . College football became what it is/was because it was about perfection . The NFL sucks because it's about injury luck and survival .
    "I know there's tremendous expectations here for what you would like to accomplish with this football program . I can tell you that however you feel about it , I have even higher expectations for what we want to accomplish . I want to win every game we play ." - Nick Saban 1/4/07

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    If I was College Football King of the World

Eliminate the Conference Championship Games

Go back to an 11 Game Schedule
    Go to a Tournament of 12 Teams
    Give the top 4 byes
    Do a 5-12, 6-11, 7-10, 8-9 Prelim Round
    Then 1 vs 8/9, 2 vs 7/10, 3 vs 6/11, and 4 vs 8/9

That way the most games played would be 15 (only if one of the first 8 makes it to the Championship Game)
    Otherwise teams play 14 (same as now for schools playing in a Conference Championship)

NO HOME GAMES in Playoffs

In the first round use:

RD 1 - Peach, Gator, Alamo Bowl, Sun Bowl - Highest Ranked Team goes to closest Bowl
    RD 2 - Fiesta, Cotton, Outback, Cap One - Highest Ranked Team goes to closest Bowl
    Semis - Rotate (Sugar, Orange, Rose)
    Finals - Rotate (Sugar, Orange, Rose)

The remaining "Bowl Eligible" teams fill out the remaining bowl schedule......

It keeps the major bowls relevant -- the other bowls remain as is -- and they can bid every 4 years to be one of the Playoff Bowl Sites!
    Raj: Excuse me, I can't be drinking, I'm about to make an important scientific discovery here!
    Howard:What? Galileo did his best work while drinking wine!
    Raj: How do you know that?
    Howard: He was Italian, it's a reasonable assumption.
    Raj: Dude, can you even open your mouth without saying a cultural stereotype?
    Howard: I'm sorry Galileo drank diet sprite!

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by LCN View Post
    They already have ... the moment it started . The BCS , post 2003 tweaking , has never failed . Playoff = greed - nothing more , nothing less . College football became what it is/was because it was about perfection . The NFL sucks because it's about injury luck and survival .
    The NFL's regular season is about who's the best two teams in the NFL. The playoffs are about the teams that are playing the hottest at that particular time in the NFL. Many times the best teams don't even play in the superbowl. Which is kind of the purpose of the Superbowl.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American BamaFlum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Mock playoff committee chooses this year's 4 team field (from SI.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    The NFL's regular season is about who's the best two teams in the NFL. The playoffs are about the teams that are playing the hottest at that particular time in the NFL. Many times the best teams don't even play in the superbowl. Which is kind of the purpose of the Superbowl.
    Regular season is about getting to the play offs and play off position. The play offs are about who peaks at the right time.
    RTR!

FB | REC Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Which is why the SB seldom hooks me and often sucks I will feel the same way when a couple of 3 loss teams play for a title .
    "I know there's tremendous expectations here for what you would like to accomplish with this football program . I can tell you that however you feel about it , I have even higher expectations for what we want to accomplish . I want to win every game we play ." - Nick Saban 1/4/07

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like SEC Championship Game.
    It adds a layer of difficulty that takes away from the regular season.
    Without a championship game, we would've been SEC champions in 1992, 1994, co-champions in 1996, 1999, 2008, 2009, and co-champions in 2012.

I know that's slightly off-topic, but it annoys me, and I also do not understand how it fits in (or even if it does fit in) with a larger playoff picture.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFlum View Post
    Regular season is about getting to the play offs and play off position. The play offs are about who peaks at the right time.
    Correct. The regular season is or should be a 16 game body of work to determine the best teams. Letting a 9-7 team into the playoffs because we deem them one of the best teams then using four games to judge whether they are the best team or not doesn't seem right. I'm not saying I totally against any playoff but it seems the 16 game regular season schedule should be enough body of work to see who the best teams are. And to me a team that is one game from being a .500 team isn't one of the best teams.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMTA06 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    OK, I'll bite:

In the NFL, it's VERY EASY to determine WHO NUMBER ONE AND NUMBER TWO IS - there's no real argument.

How in the world do you do that in college football?
    That's always been my point. How can you really determine whether or not Alabama is better than Florida, Oregon, or Florida State? Until you play it on the field you can't. All you can give is opinion and mathematical formula.
    This does not follow...

If the criteria for determining who is best, is who has played each (and won) then the NFL champion is usually far, far, far away from having no real argument.
    A: Not all NFL teams play each other.
    B: Who beat who in the regular season usually have little to no bearing on the playoffs.

Let's just cut to the chase here. Some people believe that who beats who in the postseason is all that should matter, and those are the same people who tend to want huge postseasons because it helps them forget the fact that there was a regular season.

I firmly believe that the BCS we are seeing the last days of, was the best national championship of all major sports in America. What we are going to see is going to move closer and closer to the thoughtless wheel of fate postseason that somehow makes us forget that parts of it that doesn't make any sense (for instance how a Super Bowl champion could lose twice to a team not even in the playoffs)...

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind the NFL playoffs because scheduling, draft, salary cap, etc. mean that the parity is much more real. Points in the NFL mean something, unlike much of what transpires in college.

The problem with a college playoff is that parity is much less prevalent and it seems easier to judge the quality of the teams.