Link: Mock playoff committee chooses this year's 4 team field (from SI.com)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I love the guy who felt Florida's loss to UGA shouldn't count.

Remind me again why we have this? Oh, that's right - because Alabama's loss to LSU in the regular season didn't count.

Seems to me like the exact same logic.

I don't care for the BCS, but krazy is right - they WILL find a way to screw it up.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
They will continue to add teams until and it will get so bad that eventually a team with 5 or 6 losses will get into the playoff and then win the whole thing. If there were an 8 team playoff this year with conference winners plus some at-large. Georgia Tech (if they beat FSU) would have a shot at a national title with 6 losses.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
The difference between teams four and five is a sliver on paper and a canyon in meaning.
Interestingly, multiple committee members suggested that the difficulty of picking four teams could lead to the advent of a larger field.
"I like the idea that this could lead to actually expanding the field," Holland said. "Of course you have to convince some presidents that's necessary."
I give it three years before the playoff expands to at least 6 teams. Any argument in favor of the playoff that does not consider the expanding field is not worth considering.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
This is my .02. A team that doesn't play in a conference championship shouldn't be ranked #1.
This doesn't make much sense since rankings are made throughout the year, and team quality is not dependent on there being a conference championship game.

A bad team that plays in a horrible division and wins a championship game win because the cross-divisional foe chokes badly should get no special consideration by virtue of being "conference champion"

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
It certainly puts more emphasis on the SEC building up the lower third of the conference in terms of competitiveness. There are only a limited number of slots on a schedule. We need Kentucky, Vandy, and Ole Miss to better than they have been historically. We will need a bunch of teams with 5-3 records in conference so the 2-3 good teams really standout nationally.

I think going forward we have to start scheduling bad BCS eligible teams as replacement for the West Carolinas and GA States we have been feeding off of lately mixed in with a couple of premium non-conference games each year.

You might actually see something similar to what you see in basketball now like the ACC-Big10 Challenge or the SEC-BigEast Challenge early in the season so that you get some cross-reference among conferences.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Agree with JDCrimson. This is likely to mean the end financially of some of the smaller schools (presuming my dreams don't come true and we don't go with a 64 team league outside of the NCAA). These guys pay coaches and buy equipment playing the Alabamas, Ohio States and Floridas. When you suddenly have an incentive to schedule a more legit also ran (for now let's say Kentucky, than Western Kentucky) those schools are just going to run out of money to compete. I am not saying this is good or bad, it's just economics. Not enough boosters or stadium seats for them to continue at the top level.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Agree with JDCrimson. This is likely to mean the end financially of some of the smaller schools (presuming my dreams don't come true and we don't go with a 64 team league outside of the NCAA). These guys pay coaches and buy equipment playing the Alabamas, Ohio States and Floridas. When you suddenly have an incentive to schedule a more legit also ran (for now let's say Kentucky, than Western Kentucky) those schools are just going to run out of money to compete. I am not saying this is good or bad, it's just economics. Not enough boosters or stadium seats for them to continue at the top level.
This is what I suggested would happen several months back. http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176185&highlight=

It is my understanding that teams who play these "rent-a-win" type teams will be penalized for doing so. If this is truly the case then there is no way the big programs will continue scheduling these type teams. They will go after the bottom feeders of bigger conferences. Leaving these directional type schools out to dry.

AlabasterBama

3rd Team
Dec 14, 2006
Alabaster, Alabama
Danielson has state several times why are they trying to reinvent the wheel. The NFL has proven a 6 team playoff is the way to go. Of course the NFL has two divisions and there are 6 teams from each division, but I felt like a 6 team playoff should have been the starting point for several reason.

1. The regular season remains important. #1 and #2 will receive a bye.
2. Arguments can be made about 4 vs 5 but really after #6 the argument is less valid. The article seems to back this notion.
3. it won't significantly increase the season.
4. With the addition of an addition BCS bowl. ALL BCS bowls would host a playoff game and every 5th year the National Championship

As with the NFL this version would have #3 vs #6 and #4 vs #5
a week later the #1 team would play the lowest remaining seed and #2 would play the other
The championship game would be palyed 2 weeks after the semifinals. Just like Super Bowl.

Example
Jan 1st -Rose - #3 vs #6
Jan 1st - Fiesta - #4 vs #5
Jan 8th - Cotton - #1 vs lowest remaining seed
Jan 8th - Sugar - #2 vs highest remaining seed
Jan 22nd - Orange - National Championship

Jan 22nd - Rose - National Championship
Jan 1st - Fiesta - #3 vs #6
Jan 1st - Cotton - #4 vs #5
Jan 8th - Sugar - #1 vs lowest remaining seed
Jan 8th - Orange - #2 vs highest remaining seed

2016 - so forth and so on

Never will hapen but makes great sense. National Championship would in most years be the week prior to the Super Bowl. A weekend when nothing is on anyway.

My thoughts for what they are worth

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
OK, I'll bite:

In the NFL, it's VERY EASY to determine WHO NUMBER ONE AND NUMBER TWO IS - there's no real argument.

How in the world do you do that in college football?

BamaBriar

Scout Team
Mar 24, 2011
Funny, that after all the crying last year, the winner of the SEC championship game is the only one of the four which would have played in a conference championship.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
OK, I'll bite:

In the NFL, it's VERY EASY to determine WHO NUMBER ONE AND NUMBER TWO IS - there's no real argument.

How in the world do you do that in college football?[/QUOTE]

That's always been my point. How can you really determine whether or not Alabama is better than Florida, Oregon, or Florida State? Until you play it on the field you can't. All you can give is opinion and mathematical formula.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
I love the guy who felt Florida's loss to UGA shouldn't count.

Remind me again why we have this? Oh, that's right - because Alabama's loss to LSU in the regular season didn't count.

Seems to me like the exact same logic.

I don't care for the BCS, but krazy is right - they WILL find a way to screw it up.
They already have ... the moment it started . The BCS , post 2003 tweaking , has never failed . Playoff = greed - nothing more , nothing less . College football became what it is/was because it was about perfection . The NFL sucks because it's about injury luck and survival .

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
We will regret ending the BCS.
If I was College Football King of the World

Eliminate the Conference Championship Games

Go back to an 11 Game Schedule
Go to a Tournament of 12 Teams
Give the top 4 byes
Do a 5-12, 6-11, 7-10, 8-9 Prelim Round
Then 1 vs 8/9, 2 vs 7/10, 3 vs 6/11, and 4 vs 8/9

That way the most games played would be 15 (only if one of the first 8 makes it to the Championship Game)
Otherwise teams play 14 (same as now for schools playing in a Conference Championship)

NO HOME GAMES in Playoffs

In the first round use:

RD 1 - Peach, Gator, Alamo Bowl, Sun Bowl - Highest Ranked Team goes to closest Bowl
RD 2 - Fiesta, Cotton, Outback, Cap One - Highest Ranked Team goes to closest Bowl
Semis - Rotate (Sugar, Orange, Rose)
Finals - Rotate (Sugar, Orange, Rose)

The remaining "Bowl Eligible" teams fill out the remaining bowl schedule......

It keeps the major bowls relevant -- the other bowls remain as is -- and they can bid every 4 years to be one of the Playoff Bowl Sites!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
They already have ... the moment it started . The BCS , post 2003 tweaking , has never failed . Playoff = greed - nothing more , nothing less . College football became what it is/was because it was about perfection . The NFL sucks because it's about injury luck and survival .
The NFL's regular season is about who's the best two teams in the NFL. The playoffs are about the teams that are playing the hottest at that particular time in the NFL. Many times the best teams don't even play in the superbowl. Which is kind of the purpose of the Superbowl.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.