Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team Snuffy Smith's Avatar

The Old "Water Bucket" Play: Still Legal?

Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    NCAA Rulebook

Here is the specific rule.
    I am pretty sure they ignore that rule in the hurry up or no huddle. I don't recall the wideouts that line up outside the hashes coming back in between them before they line up and snap it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Advertisement

Re: The Old "Water Bucket" Play: Still Legal?

Answers my question cbi. Thanks!

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    I am pretty sure they ignore that rule in the hurry up or no huddle. I don't recall the wideouts that line up outside the hashes coming back in between them before they line up and snap it again.
    Typically they don't substitute, so it doesn't come into play.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation First Team Snuffy Smith's Avatar

The Old "Water Bucket" Play: Still Legal?

But it also says team A players who participated in the previous play must be between the 9's between the end of the play and the next snap? Maybe they walk in and out of it on the way back to the LOS. I will make a point to watch for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    But it also says team A players who participated in the previous play must be between the 9's between the end of the play and the next snap? Maybe they walk in and out of it on the way back to the LOS. I will make a point to watch for that.
    Right. I wasn't reading carefully enough. By rule, they should not be able to stay by the sideline.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

Suspended
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Which game was it that we had a rec'vr lined up wide open and he kept waving for (Brody Croyle?) to throw him the ball before the d noticed he was all alone?

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BFANLC View Post
    Which game was it that we had a rec'vr lined up wide open and he kept waving for (Brody Croyle?) to throw him the ball before the d noticed he was all alone?
    DJ Hall against UT one year.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    DJ Hall against UT one year.
    But Brodie had a rocket of an arm.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Big A Re: The Old "Water Bucket" Play: Still Legal?

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Answers my question cbi. Thanks!
    Ummm, how did this answer the question? I thought the scenario you were describing was a player leaving the huddle and heading for the sidelines, as if he is being substituted, but he stops just short of the sidelines. In that case he was inside the 9's, and there was no substitution. Then the rest of the offense breaks huddle and does a quick snap. Seems legal to me, but you couldn't get away with if often.

BamaNation Scout Team RollinTide75's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Don't know what made me think of this old play...maybe it was the thread about new twist for the Georgia game.

Back in the 80's the "Water Bucket" play was a popular trick play. A wide receiver would trot to the sideline, as if he were coming out of the game, but instead he'd stop at the very edge of the playing field on sides. When the play was snapped he'd generally be wide open streaking down the sideline.

I haven't seen this tried at any level in the last few years. I assume it wouldn't work beyond the high school level (where I saw it used) anyway now days, but I was wondering if this play is still legal?
    I remember we had a play similar to this my freshman year in high school... except it was a fake field goal... We would line up in FG formation and our kicker would run to the sideline yelling for the coach looking for the tee and when he got close to the sideline the ball was snapped and he would streak down the sideline and our holder would hit him wide open... Only downside is... our coach tried it twice in one game... and needless to say, it didn't work the 2nd time...

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar

The wide receiver now also has to be lined up inside the line judge if I'm not mistaken..which kind of eliminates the receivers ability to hide close to the sideline.

I got burnt as a corner by that play once in high school and it still ticks me off til this day lol...

sip

BamaNation All-SEC

Pretty sure that is right, Sip. LJ has to make a call as to who is "covered up" and not and for the 6 men on LOS determination.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uaintn View Post
    Pretty sure that is right, Sip. LJ has to make a call as to who is "covered up" and not and for the 6 men on LOS determination.
    That's my thinking as well.