Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American CHATTBRIT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Re: The Old "Water Bucket" Play: Still Legal?

While Manning was at UCheat, didn't he and other members of the Offense go to the sideline to supposedly talk with coaches and then take the snap from the sideline?
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team Snuffy Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The Old "Water Bucket" Play: Still Legal?

Quote Originally Posted by CHATTBRIT View Post
    While Manning was at UCheat, didn't he and other members of the Offense go to the sideline to supposedly talk with coaches and then take the snap from the sideline?
    Would have been difficult with the ball sitting at the hash mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    I know of schools that run that PAT formation. One team didn't correctly line up. Rather than lining up with the rest of the team, all 11 lined up in FG block. The holder took the snap and immediately threw it to someone for a 2 point conversion.

Didn't A&M run a gimmicky play against us? Still think their OL wasn't set when the ball was snapped.
    yep, and they were not set. thats a big problem with the hurry up/no huddle/prairie dog offenses, many times they don't set. i first noticed it a lot when urban first got to florida.
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BFANLC View Post
    Which game was it that we had a rec'vr lined up wide open and he kept waving for (Brody Croyle?) to throw him the ball before the d noticed he was all alone?
    that happened against arky in 2005

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CHATTBRIT View Post
    nutt tried something like that when we played arky one year. it didnt work

-Bertrand Russell

ó Thomas Pynchon

Post Thanks / Like

-Bertrand Russell

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't remember who we were playing or which coach, (Maybe Stallings) but Bama had a man trying to hurry off the field and he stopped short of going off and the QB threw him the ball but Bama got a penalty for 12 men being on the field. I remember the announcers saying that Bama only had 11 men on the field but the play fooled the refs. They should have alerted the refs to what they were doing and the play would have worked.
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

Post Thanks / Like

I went back and watched the first drive from the *U game. It was a bit difficult to tell for sure because the camera cuts to wide stadium and sideline shots but it did appear that during the first several plays Cooper was wide left and Norwood was wide right. Neither of them appeared to reenter the area between the hash marks between plays while we ran the hurry up. Looks like that rule is not enforced during a no huddle offense.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    I know Juwan Simpson's high school coach, and he told me after the game that Juwan should have known to cover that play because they ran it at Austin High a few times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    I went back and watched the first drive from the *U game. It was a bit difficult to tell for sure because the camera cuts to wide stadium and sideline shots but it did appear that during the first several plays Cooper was wide left and Norwood was wide right. Neither of them appeared to reenter the area between the hash marks between plays while we ran the hurry up. Looks like that rule is not enforced during a no huddle offense.

The rule may not be enforced because there are no substitutions in a hurry up offense.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Don't know what made me think of this old play...maybe it was the thread about new twist for the Georgia game.

Back in the 80's the "Water Bucket" play was a popular trick play. A wide receiver would trot to the sideline, as if he were coming out of the game, but instead he'd stop at the very edge of the playing field on sides. When the play was snapped he'd generally be wide open streaking down the sideline.

I haven't seen this tried at any level in the last few years. I assume it wouldn't work beyond the high school level (where I saw it used) anyway now days, but I was wondering if this play is still legal?
    Houston Nutt did it against us at Arkansas one year. Didn't work.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    nutt tried something like that when we played arky one year. it didnt work
    Well it would help if I read the thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    I know Juwan Simpson's high school coach, and he told me after the game that Juwan should have known to cover that play because they ran it at Austin High a few times.

The rule may not be enforced because there are no substitutions in a hurry up offense.
    Rule doesn't just apply to substitutions. It also applies to players participating in the previous play. Rule says they have to have been in the area between the hash marks at some point between the end of the previous play and the next snap. That simply isn't happening with the wide outs when they run the no huddle offense.

BamaNation All-American BamaMoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    Rule doesn't just apply to substitutions. It also applies to players participating in the previous play. Rule says they have to have been in the area between the hash marks at some point between the end of the previous play and the next snap. That simply isn't happening with the wide outs when they run the no huddle offense.

So you're telling me there's a chance???

Let's work it in against Georgia then. Chris Black???