Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team bama_at_uab's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

CBS 42 off charter cable in Birmingham starting this afternoon? (now resolved)

As some of you may know, there is currently an ongoing dispute between charter cable and LIN TV the parent company that owns many affiliate television markets including CBS 42 in Birmingham. The fight currently is over an increase in retransmission fees. LIN TV is known to play hardball in the past they previously pulled all stations from Mediacom in 2008 for 6 weeks until they agreed to the higher fees.

Anyways, the contract expires in about 1 hour, meaning that CBS will be off the air in Birmingham on Charter here soon unless things have changed.

Has anyone heard anything new? or anyone planning on switching providers? getting an antenna for the game?

here's links:
    CBS 42 statement

article about the dispute

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC bamagradinATL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: CBS 42 off charter cable in Birmingham starting this afternoon, any updates?

Get a digital antenna. I purchased one when Dish Network and Peachtree TV (carries Braves games here in Atlanta) were having a dispute. You can pick one up for about $20. A cheap investment to ensure you can watch the game on Saturday.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: CBS 42 off charter cable in Birmingham starting this afternoon, any updates?

The deadline has passed and Channel 42 is still on the air on Charter. At least I haven't missed Dr. Phil today. I may need to go see him if I miss the game.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless they do the title game differently, cbssports.com will also be streaming the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like an excuse to jump and get a satellite . Seriously though, all of the companies are having these sort of disputes nowadays as it is all about the almighty dollar, but the digital antenna would be the easiest option with it being a local channel. They actually work fairly well. Charter was a pain when I had them years ago, and their customer service is just dreadful. Most of the local sports bars would be good options if you don't have other friends or family nearby with Dish/DirecTV. I would offer to just host a viewing party, but will be working this weekend. RTR!
    Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant - "Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself."

Thomas Jefferson - "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."

BamaNation First Team Im_on_dsp's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bamaee04 View Post
    but the digital antenna would be the easiest option with it being a local channel. They actually work fairly well.
    You'll actually get a better picture off the antenna. All the cable companies broadcast the HD channels in 720p while the over the air signal is 1080i, a sharper picture. It's not super noticeable but if you go side to side with the two you can definitely tell a difference.

BamaNation First Team BamafanNPC's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I can pick up CBS here in Pell City with a digital antenna, so you should have no problem getting it in Birmingham.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

720p is better for fast action, such as sports, and a lot of movies, IMHO. I have my DVR set to 720p for that reason.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tolerant on TideFans.com

Our local CBS station in Macon, Georgia, is a part of Gannett and has started announcing that they'll pull off of DirecTV at midnight Friday night without a new deal. At least CBS Sports.com streams the game.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

CBS 42 in Bham just announced a new agreement has been reached and there will be no interruption of their broadcast.

BamaNation All-American 230kv_barehand's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Thank God! I was getting sick of the banner at the bottom on my fabulous DirecTv!!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Get Uverse. It isn't cheap but it is reliable. Charter sucks.

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I love to pile on Charter, I have never had a faster or more reliable internet connection. I'm constantly downloading at 4 to 5 mb/s. The one thing I don't like is the lack of offering NFL Sunday Ticket, but I can live with that.