Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation All-American We_are_Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Re: CBS 42 off charter cable in Birmingham starting this afternoon, any updates?

YES!! Charter and LIN TV reached a deal at literally the last minute yesterday. I got home from work around 3:30 pm. My niece gave me a call and asked if I still had my channel (she knew I had been stressing out big time about this) and I told her "we will know in about 30 minutes". As late as 3:58 PM, CBS 42 was still running that crawler. At that point, I just threw my hands up and said "oh well, nothing I can do about it". Then, at 4:00 PM, nothing happened. I wasn't convinced, so I watched Dr. Phil until 4:40, just to make sure. When the 5:00 news came on, I figured a deal had to have been reached. Then, Ken Lass made the official announcement and I was relieved. It was a very stressful three weeks!
    When my grandma left this life, I didn't say bye. I said see you later.

RIP, Grandma. Forever in my heart.
    01/04/1926-08/11/2012

My generous employer gives us 104 vacation days a year. They are called Saturday and Sunday.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: CBS 42 off charter cable in Birmingham starting this afternoon, any updates?

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJ View Post
    CBS 42 in Bham just announced a new agreement has been reached and there will be no interruption of their broadcast.
    The scroll line about the problem with Charter cable has generated lots of calls
    which apply pressure to make a deal. That's the intent... and it works.
    I went Direct TV years ago and I'm spoiled by great pictures and consistent programing.
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; November 30th, 2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: format

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I've seen other channels run that scroll when their contract is almost up.

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been a long time Charter customer. I have always liked being able to hook up little-used TVs without a box for basic channels and just use the HD boxes on the main TVs. I became concerned about the potential for no CBS for the game and started looking at options. I called Direct TV and with the special they were running, I was able to get more channels, better DVR, and boxes for each TV for less money for at least 2 years. I think it will still be a little less when the special runs out but who knows. Direct TV was installed yesterday. Roll Tide!!!

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tolerant on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rolltide87 View Post
    I have been a long time Charter customer. I have always liked being able to hook up little-used TVs without a box for basic channels and just use the HD boxes on the main TVs. I became concerned about the potential for no CBS for the game and started looking at options. I called Direct TV and with the special they were running, I was able to get more channels, better DVR, and boxes for each TV for less money for at least 2 years. I think it will still be a little less when the special runs out but who knows. Direct TV was installed yesterday. Roll Tide!!!
    We went to DirecTV a few years ago when we finally got tired of our small-town CATV company. Unfortunately, DirecTV isn't immune to this problem either. Their contract with the parent of our CBS affiliate runs out at midnight and they've been running a trailer across the screen pointing out that if DirecTV doesn't give in, we will lose the chance to see the SEC Championship game. The station's web site even has contact info for CATV systems and Dish.

Fortunately, even if there isn't a last-minute deal, CBS streams the game.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
    We went to DirecTV a few years ago when we finally got tired of our small-town CATV company. Unfortunately, DirecTV isn't immune to this problem either. Their contract with the parent of our CBS affiliate runs out at midnight and they've been running a trailer across the screen pointing out that if DirecTV doesn't give in, we will lose the chance to see the SEC Championship game. The station's web site even has contact info for CATV systems and Dish.

Doesn't matter if a person's TV provider is a cable or satellite company. All companies have disputes over the contracts. Recently, Dish finally resolved issues with AMC, meaning AMC along with its "children" channels are airing on Dish again.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulD View Post

I know. In trying to find info on the CBS-42/Charter mess, I found a number of articles about these disputes. Hopefully, the channels I care about and Direct will play nice for the next 2 years. I am happy about the $$$ save by switching to solve the immediate issue. i was worried when I read the CBS-42 parent company had pulled stations for 6 weeks in a similar dispute. I know usually these things get worked out at the last minute but was worried about the track record of the parent. From the articles, it was hard to tell which side (if any) was being reasonable.

BamaNation All-American We_are_Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

From the articles, it was hard to tell which side (if any) was being reasonable.
    Both sides were acting like spoiled children. They should be ashamed (but they are not) with the way they fought this battle through the customers. Both sides were telling the customer to call the other side. It was ridiculous to say the least. I called Charter, and they said "well, we understand that you don't to lose that channel, but if you want results, call LIN TV and tell them that their demands are too high". So, I called up LIN TV and they told me "we understand that you don't want to lose that channel, but if you want results, call Charter and tell them that we have not increased their re-transmission fees in over four years and we have been patient and reasonable, and we are not asking for a huge increase". I know that these disputes will arise from time to time, but to put the customers right in the middle of it is just silly.
    When my grandma left this life, I didn't say bye. I said see you later.

RIP, Grandma. Forever in my heart.
    01/04/1926-08/11/2012

My generous employer gives us 104 vacation days a year. They are called Saturday and Sunday.

BamaNation First Team Im_on_dsp's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by We_are_Bama View Post
    Both sides were acting like spoiled children.
    Get used to it because that's where were headed. When it comes to things like digital property rights and other non-physical assets, neither side has much ammunition at their disposal except to threaten the other side to take them off the air and trash them to their customers. Cable AND Satellite. The only way to get away from it is access your stuff off the public airwaves and by doing that you are going to be severely limited in your viewing choices.

BamaNation All-SEC RollTide1017's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

You got there new Genie system installed didn't you? We switched from Dish to DirecTV a month ago because of the deal on the Genie system. Dish want $200 to install the hopper even though we were long time customers while they give it away for free to newbies. So, we switched to DirecTV and got there Genie system (similar to Dish's Hopper) installed absolutely free. We couldn't be happier and I finally have ESPNU in HD!

To bad I didn't know you were switching, could have sent you a referral link that would have saved both of us an additional $10 for 10 months.
    Last edited by RollTide1017; November 30th, 2012 at 04:20 PM.