CBS 42 off charter cable in Birmingham starting this afternoon? (now resolved)

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Re: CBS 42 off charter cable in Birmingham starting this afternoon, any updates?

From the articles, it was hard to tell which side (if any) was being reasonable.
Both sides were acting like spoiled children. They should be ashamed (but they are not) with the way they fought this battle through the customers. Both sides were telling the customer to call the other side. It was ridiculous to say the least. I called Charter, and they said "well, we understand that you don't to lose that channel, but if you want results, call LIN TV and tell them that their demands are too high". So, I called up LIN TV and they told me "we understand that you don't want to lose that channel, but if you want results, call Charter and tell them that we have not increased their re-transmission fees in over four years and we have been patient and reasonable, and we are not asking for a huge increase". I know that these disputes will arise from time to time, but to put the customers right in the middle of it is just silly.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
Re: CBS 42 off charter cable in Birmingham starting this afternoon, any updates?

Both sides were acting like spoiled children.
Get used to it because that's where were headed. When it comes to things like digital property rights and other non-physical assets, neither side has much ammunition at their disposal except to threaten the other side to take them off the air and trash them to their customers. Cable AND Satellite. The only way to get away from it is access your stuff off the public airwaves and by doing that you are going to be severely limited in your viewing choices.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

I have been a long time Charter customer. I have always liked being able to hook up little-used TVs without a box for basic channels and just use the HD boxes on the main TVs. I became concerned about the potential for no CBS for the game and started looking at options. I called Direct TV and with the special they were running, I was able to get more channels, better DVR, and boxes for each TV for less money for at least 2 years. I think it will still be a little less when the special runs out but who knows. Direct TV was installed yesterday. Roll Tide!!!
You got there new Genie system installed didn't you? We switched from Dish to DirecTV a month ago because of the deal on the Genie system. Dish want $200 to install the hopper even though we were long time customers while they give it away for free to newbies. So, we switched to DirecTV and got there Genie system (similar to Dish's Hopper) installed absolutely free. We couldn't be happier and I finally have ESPNU in HD!

To bad I didn't know you were switching, could have sent you a referral link that would have saved both of us an additional $10 for 10 months.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.