CBS 42 off charter cable in Birmingham starting this afternoon? (now resolved)

bama_at_uab

1st Team
Mar 6, 2006
Birmingham
As some of you may know, there is currently an ongoing dispute between charter cable and LIN TV the parent company that owns many affiliate television markets including CBS 42 in Birmingham. The fight currently is over an increase in retransmission fees. LIN TV is known to play hardball in the past they previously pulled all stations from Mediacom in 2008 for 6 weeks until they agreed to the higher fees.

Anyways, the contract expires in about 1 hour, meaning that CBS will be off the air in Birmingham on Charter here soon unless things have changed.

Has anyone heard anything new? or anyone planning on switching providers? getting an antenna for the game?

here's links:
CBS 42 statement

article about the dispute

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
Re: CBS 42 off charter cable in Birmingham starting this afternoon, any updates?

Get a digital antenna. I purchased one when Dish Network and Peachtree TV (carries Braves games here in Atlanta) were having a dispute. You can pick one up for about $20. A cheap investment to ensure you can watch the game on Saturday.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Re: CBS 42 off charter cable in Birmingham starting this afternoon, any updates?

The deadline has passed and Channel 42 is still on the air on Charter. At least I haven't missed Dr. Phil today. I may need to go see him if I miss the game.

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009

Unless they do the title game differently, cbssports.com will also be streaming the game.

bamaee04

All-SEC
Nov 15, 2004
Birmingham, AL

Sounds like an excuse to jump and get a satellite :wink:. Seriously though, all of the companies are having these sort of disputes nowadays as it is all about the almighty dollar, but the digital antenna would be the easiest option with it being a local channel. They actually work fairly well. Charter was a pain when I had them years ago, and their customer service is just dreadful. Most of the local sports bars would be good options if you don't have other friends or family nearby with Dish/DirecTV. I would offer to just host a viewing party, but will be working this weekend. RTR!

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA

but the digital antenna would be the easiest option with it being a local channel. They actually work fairly well.
You'll actually get a better picture off the antenna. All the cable companies broadcast the HD channels in 720p while the over the air signal is 1080i, a sharper picture. It's not super noticeable but if you go side to side with the two you can definitely tell a difference.

BamafanNPC

3rd Team
Jan 3, 2007
Pell City, AL

I can pick up CBS here in Pell City with a digital antenna, so you should have no problem getting it in Birmingham.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States

Our local CBS station in Macon, Georgia, is a part of Gannett and has started announcing that they'll pull off of DirecTV at midnight Friday night without a new deal. At least CBS Sports.com streams the game.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

CBS 42 in Bham just announced a new agreement has been reached and there will be no interruption of their broadcast.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

Thank God! I was getting sick of the banner at the bottom on my fabulous DirecTv!!:cool2:

Bhammer

1st Team
Jan 4, 2007
Birmingham

Get Uverse. It isn't cheap but it is reliable. Charter sucks.

Kevo

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 7, 2011

As much as I love to pile on Charter, I have never had a faster or more reliable internet connection. I'm constantly downloading at 4 to 5 mb/s. The one thing I don't like is the lack of offering NFL Sunday Ticket, but I can live with that.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008

YES!! Charter and LIN TV reached a deal at literally the last minute yesterday. I got home from work around 3:30 pm. My niece gave me a call and asked if I still had my channel (she knew I had been stressing out big time about this) and I told her "we will know in about 30 minutes". As late as 3:58 PM, CBS 42 was still running that crawler. At that point, I just threw my hands up and said "oh well, nothing I can do about it". Then, at 4:00 PM, nothing happened. I wasn't convinced, so I watched Dr. Phil until 4:40, just to make sure. When the 5:00 news came on, I figured a deal had to have been reached. Then, Ken Lass made the official announcement and I was relieved. It was a very stressful three weeks!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

CBS 42 in Bham just announced a new agreement has been reached and there will be no interruption of their broadcast.
The scroll line about the problem with Charter cable has generated lots of calls
which apply pressure to make a deal. That's the intent... and it works.
I went Direct TV years ago and I'm spoiled by great pictures and consistent programing.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I've seen other channels run that scroll when their contract is almost up.

rolltide87

3rd Team
Oct 8, 2003
Hoover, AL, USA

I have been a long time Charter customer. I have always liked being able to hook up little-used TVs without a box for basic channels and just use the HD boxes on the main TVs. I became concerned about the potential for no CBS for the game and started looking at options. I called Direct TV and with the special they were running, I was able to get more channels, better DVR, and boxes for each TV for less money for at least 2 years. I think it will still be a little less when the special runs out but who knows. Direct TV was installed yesterday. Roll Tide!!!

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States

I have been a long time Charter customer. I have always liked being able to hook up little-used TVs without a box for basic channels and just use the HD boxes on the main TVs. I became concerned about the potential for no CBS for the game and started looking at options. I called Direct TV and with the special they were running, I was able to get more channels, better DVR, and boxes for each TV for less money for at least 2 years. I think it will still be a little less when the special runs out but who knows. Direct TV was installed yesterday. Roll Tide!!!
We went to DirecTV a few years ago when we finally got tired of our small-town CATV company. Unfortunately, DirecTV isn't immune to this problem either. Their contract with the parent of our CBS affiliate runs out at midnight and they've been running a trailer across the screen pointing out that if DirecTV doesn't give in, we will lose the chance to see the SEC Championship game. The station's web site even has contact info for CATV systems and Dish.

Fortunately, even if there isn't a last-minute deal, CBS streams the game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

We went to DirecTV a few years ago when we finally got tired of our small-town CATV company. Unfortunately, DirecTV isn't immune to this problem either. Their contract with the parent of our CBS affiliate runs out at midnight and they've been running a trailer across the screen pointing out that if DirecTV doesn't give in, we will lose the chance to see the SEC Championship game. The station's web site even has contact info for CATV systems and Dish.

Doesn't matter if a person's TV provider is a cable or satellite company. All companies have disputes over the contracts. Recently, Dish finally resolved issues with AMC, meaning AMC along with its "children" channels are airing on Dish again.

rolltide87

3rd Team
Oct 8, 2003
Hoover, AL, USA

I know. In trying to find info on the CBS-42/Charter mess, I found a number of articles about these disputes. Hopefully, the channels I care about and Direct will play nice for the next 2 years. I am happy about the $$$ save by switching to solve the immediate issue. i was worried when I read the CBS-42 parent company had pulled stations for 6 weeks in a similar dispute. I know usually these things get worked out at the last minute but was worried about the track record of the parent. From the articles, it was hard to tell which side (if any) was being reasonable.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.