Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team Bamatim15's Avatar

Re: Objective Comparison of the Schedules and Stats of ND, Alabama, UGA

I hope that Alabama gets to play ND but no matter, Alabama or Georgia the outcome will be the same. The boys in the golden hats will then be "Notre Numb". Prepare Irish for some shock and awe.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick2 View Post
    Playing Navy or Pitt is a WHOLE lot tougher then playing Western Carolina, Western Kentucky, or Florida Atlantic. IF ND EVER played a team like that the media would CRUCIFY them....Those games ARE scrimmages. And if the the mighty LSU can struggle against "mighty" Towson State (12-10 victory) and Florida can struggle against that "juggernaut" Louisiana Lafayette (27-20) ND can "struggle" against ANY team on their schedule.

These are kids not professionals so ANYTHING is possible.
    He's got a good point there. If Bama or Georgia overlooks ND the way the fans are, then it could be bad...really bad. I'm talking Bama/Miama 1992 bad.

BamaNation All-American AlexanderFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Talkative on TideFans.com

Mav,

ND used to play Army, Navy, and Air Force in the same year, every year. The media never said much about that. I will defend the SEC's right to schedule softer opponents because the league schedule is pretty tough and physically grinding on a football team.

ND beat everyone on their schedule, that's all they can do.

From my phone with Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

Maverick, thanks for posting, hope you enjoy your time on the forum!

For the Tide Fans, I'd remind you these are our guests. It's an Bama board, but these guys have (so far) been exactly the kind of opposing fans we want here - let's treat them accordingly.

Carry on.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Thanks for the stats, Mav; but how do these teams stack up against common opponents? Since we're looking at stats and all . . .
    RTR

BamaNation Hall of Fame JPT4Bama's Avatar

Welcome Maverick. I look forward to playing you guys in the BCSNCG. Should be an instant classic.

I'm one of those who has seen each of the previous ND-Bama games and have been wanting to match up again for quite a while. Now it appears it may happen. Either way, good luck.
    Ask me about my vow of silence.

Suspended

UGA and Alabama both benefited from playing weak SEC schedules. There are too many teams in the conference to only play 8 games. LSU had to play USC and UF while Bama played neither. ND played a good schedule, but the Big10 is nothing like the talent in the SEC.

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Notre Dame did not have an easy schedule. But, they were fortunate to catch a lot of traditional football powers in down years.

I think we can use Sagarin to weed out some of this win loss stuff.
    Notre Dame SoS (30)
    Alabama SoS (39)
    Georgia SoS (42)

This is thrown off a bit by a couple really soft opponents that Alabama and Georgia played. Likewise, once Alabama and Georgia play it will provide a huge boost to their SoS.

Georgia played #4, #10 (lost), #29, and #33.
    Notre Dame played #8 (should have lost), #9, #20, and #37.
    Alabama played #7 (lost) #11 and #20, and #33.

Georgie was +53 points, Notre Dame was +46, Alabama was +46

I think the argument could be made that Alabama and Georgia did have a more rigorous schedule due to the difficulties of playing in the SEC. Both Georgia and Notre Dame had very bad days. Georgia got blown out by South Carolina, and Notre Dame should have lost to a 5-6 Pitt team. Alabama distances itself in the fact that they have been able to maintain a higher level of play with more consistency and Notre Dame by not losing. If you remove Georgia's game against South Carolina though, and they might look like the best team on paper.

I would bet on Alabama to beat Georgia or Notre Dame. But, to beat Georgia AND Notre Dame? That's a tall order for any team...

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cloud_9 on TideFans.com

The most important stat you brought out was the fact that Georgia is 61st in penalty yardage against. They make way too many dumb mistakes and can be totally undisciplined at times. Not exactly what you need to win championships.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cloud_9 on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    Notre Dame did not have an easy schedule. But, they were fortunate to catch a lot of traditional football powers in down years.

I think we can use Sagarin to weed out some of this win loss stuff.
    Notre Dame SoS (30)
    Alabama SoS (39)
    Georgia SoS (42)

This is thrown off a bit by a couple really soft opponents that Alabama and Georgia played. Likewise, once Alabama and Georgia play it will provide a huge boost to their SoS.

Georgia played #4, #10 (lost), #29, and #33.
    Notre Dame played #8 (should have lost), #9, #20, and #37.
    Alabama played #7 (lost) #11 and #20, and #33.

Georgie was +53 points, Notre Dame was +46, Alabama was +46

I think the argument could be made that Alabama and Georgia did have a more rigorous schedule due to the difficulties of playing in the SEC. Both Georgia and Notre Dame had very bad days. Georgia got blown out by South Carolina, and Notre Dame should have lost to a 5-6 Pitt team. Alabama distances itself in the fact that they have been able to maintain a higher level of play with more consistency and Notre Dame by not losing. If you remove Georgia's game against South Carolina though, and they might look like the best team on paper.

I would bet on Alabama to beat Georgia or Notre Dame. But, to beat Georgia AND Notre Dame? That's a tall order for any team...
    I honestly think ND played the toughest schedule in America this year. Michigan, Stanford, at Oklahoma, at USC, Michigan State, BYU...pretty tough. Yes, some of them were not as solid as predicted to be but still pretty darn difficult.

My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

I think the bottom line is that these are 3 very good teams. If all teams have a 'good' day, we will prevail. If any team is off a little, they will lose. There will be very little room for error.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Having recently stayed at a Holiday Inn...
    I'm qualified to say that our stats are skewed by playing a large number of players
    in the second halves or our games.
    Non-starters have been used to kill the game.
    Generally non-starters don't score as many points, and don't make as many sacks
    or interceptions. That fact alone skews the statistics.
    We have had blow out games, but the majority of our points came in the first half
    and we have given our bench guys valuable playing time at the expense of our stats.
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; November 30th, 2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: format

Emperically, you are correct. However, a closer look points out part of the flaws in this kind of analysis, and what is generally difficult about making such statements. Bama and UGA are both SEC, as is UF, and LSU. Because of that, they play many of the same opponents, although this year UGA and Bama less than others. This means that the overall records of our opponents are going to trend low because teams are going to have losses to each other, even if they are good. (Much like last year when you could argue Arkansas was the 3rd best team in the country, but had two losses, Bama and LSU)

An example is T A&M, they have two losses, LSU and UF. LSU loses to Bama and UF, and UF loses to UGA. USC (the right one) loses to LSU and UF, but beats UGA. That accounts for 9 loses total across all these teams. Since every other team in the SEC plays the same group, not all but some mix, all of those teams will have multiple loses related to the same teams and there is no way to judge at this point whether those teams are bad with 4 losses, or just played 4 elite teams.

ND doesn't have any comparison, because it doesn't have a conference. Several of the "bowl eligible" teams you refer to are Big10(14) teams, and the best one of those ND played, Bama beat 42-14.

I am not arguing its true, but it could be argued that the 6 SEC teams listed at the top are actually 1-6 best teams in the country and would only lose to each other. Your numbers are good, but the problem with them is that they don't really prove anything because of the fact there aren't common schedules.
    Pat Dye: "Lord, why did you tell me to run right?"

Lord: "I don't know. Bear, why did we tell Pat to run right?"