Objective Comparison of the Schedules and Stats of ND, Alabama, UGA

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The ND Front 7 is not the best in College Football - IMO

LSU's Front 7 is much better.....sorry

I appreciate your excitement over your team, and I am glad you are here pleading your case.

You are likely not going to get any more love than you've already gotten -- and the longer you plead your case, the more impatient some of our people (including me) are likely to get....

Bama has never been outplayed in a BIG BIG BIG game in many years. LY though we lost to LSU -- in OT -- wasn't because we were outplayed. We missed some FGs and had a brutal call go against us......but, Coach will never be unprepared.

Bama by 10 over UGA
Bama by 21 over ND

Enjoy your stay here!

Maverick2

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 28, 2012
Mav,

Alabama does not have the same luxury. We are handed eight games, the site and the date and told to go find four opponents. We usually schedule three mediocre to bad teams that need a payday and one good OOC team. There's no need to do otherwise when the difference in winning your division & finishing fourth is two plays.

It is not our fault that Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri, and Auburn were terrible. Yet even if those were 7-8 win teams we would have still beaten each by 20 points. None of those games was even close. Plus we played Michigan in the opener - when everyone is rusty - and put 41 points on them. We gave up 2 bombs with a new secondary for a TD.

That said - lets not get ahead of ourselves. The Tide better show up with The Process if we want to win Saturday.
I fully agree with what you are saying about a team can't control how a team is going to be during the year. ND is hearing all this crap now about BC, Pitt etc.

See, everyone has to understand this. Teams like Alabama and Ga are lucky in that you can get 90% of your kids right in your backyard. Great HS talent. Where ND is? Indiana and Illinois? Forget it. So ND HAS to recruit nationally all over the country. And if you look at their roster kids are from all over Florida, Ga, Cailf, NJ, Ohio,...every part of the country.

This is why last Saturday night's game between USC and ND was the highest rated college FB game since 2006 higher than last year's Rose Bowl or Fiesta Bowl. ND is to college FB what the Yankees are to pro baseball. So many people watch them. This is good for college FB when ND is good, good for all the programs. Do you know how many little kids will watch that BCS game dreaming of playing for thier dream program?

Both schools try to do it the right way too. ND has a 97% Grad rate, Alabama's is 75% which is stilll a very good grad rate.

You never hear about kids from either program stealing computers or getting arrested for beating up people. (Couple of ND players have gotten in trouble for drinking and driving)

If Alabama wins tommorrow, and I think they will, I am going on record that the BCS NC game will get the highest ratings of any college FB game in the last 20 years.

And that is a GREAT thing for all of college FB.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Re-think what? Bottom line even if you take out Alabama's FCS opponent your opponents' records is 69-62. The record of the teams Alabama beat (FCS game removed)is 59-62.....ND's opponents record 82-60, Record of teams ND beat 40-32.

Florida from the SEC has played the toughest schedule not Alabama or Georgia.
You may want to re-think your earlier comment:
Playing Navy or Pitt is a WHOLE lot tougher then playing Western Carolina, Western Kentucky, or Florida Atlantic. IF ND EVER played a team like that the media would CRUCIFY them....Those games ARE scrimmages.
Is playing bowl-bound LA-Monroe (8-4), LA-Lafayette (7-4), or Western KY (7-5) any different than playing Navy (7-4), Pitt (5-6) or Wake Forest (5-7)? Is playing FAU (3-8) really any different than playing Boston College (2-10)? I'll put LAM, LAL and WKU up against Navy, Pitt and Wake (and especially BC) and feel good about their chances to win. Western Carolina and Towson on the other hand . . . (IMO, FBS teams shouldn't play FCS teams).

I'm not arguing about who's played a tougher schedule. I think that your opinion that playing Navy and Pitt is a WHOLE lot tougher than the teams you mentioned above is off base. The bottom-feeders on ND's schedule are no tougher than the bottom-feeders on Bama's or other SEC schools.

miggy402

1st Team
Aug 23, 2009
Waycross, GA
Look, I hear what you are saying but the bottom line is out of the strong teams in the SEC Florida is the only one who has played a tougher schedule than ND. ND's first 9 opponents are all bowl eligible. And the composite records are the composite records of the opponents.

They went into Norman to play one of the top offenses in the country averaging over 35 points per game, with one of the top QB's in the country. They beat them 30-13 and held them to 15 yards rushing.
Sorry, but I'm not buying that OU has one of the top offenses in the country. They have been inconsistent all season. They even almost lost to UTEP.

ND's front 7 IMO IS the best in college FB.
I understand this is you opinion, but I don't think they have been tested enough to truly say they are the best. How many great offensive lines have they gone up against? Besides, as long as Stanford leads the nation in sacks and TFL, I'd have to give that honor to them. (BTW, ND ranks 19th and 68th respectively.)

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
See, everyone has to understand this. Teams like Alabama and Ga are lucky in that you can get 90% of your kids right in your backyard. Great HS talent. Where ND is? Indiana and Illinois? Forget it. So ND HAS to recruit nationally all over the country. And if you look at their roster kids are from all over Florida, Ga, Cailf, NJ, Ohio,...every part of the country..
Yeah, maybe ND needs a bigger alumni with more money and their own network that doesn't ever show any other team other than yours....in order to compete..... Oh wait!

Maverick2

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 28, 2012
Yeah, maybe ND needs a bigger alumni with more money and their own network that doesn't ever show any other team other than yours....in order to compete..... Oh wait!
What are you talking about? ND has 8000 undergraduate students. It is a small alumni. How many students go to Alabama 20-30 thousand? It is the subway alumni, people like me who never attended ND but are all over the country. As far as the NBC TV deal, again it goes back to the national following ND has. They are the only program who could have their own TV contract due to their following. They played a game in Ireland in the fall and sold it out. They played a game in Japan about 15 years ago and sold it out. ND and Stanford are talking about playing a game in China. And you know what, ND will sell that game out too.

Having a program with that kind of following is good for all of college FB even better when they are good.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I fully agree with what you are saying about a team can't control how a team is going to be during the year. ND is hearing all this crap now about BC, Pitt etc.
Not a problem here - although we hear every year about how the SEC stacks the schedule. Hear me clearly - Arkansas and Kentucky do that; LSU, Tennessee (grinds teeth), and Alabama do not. LSU, in fact, might be the best of doing the home and home thing.

See, everyone has to understand this. Teams like Alabama and Ga are lucky in that you can get 90% of your kids right in your backyard. Great HS talent. Where ND is? Indiana and Illinois? Forget it. So ND HAS to recruit nationally all over the country. And if you look at their roster kids are from all over Florida, Ga, Cailf, NJ, Ohio,...every part of the country.
There are some counter-problems to that:

1) Alabama has to compete with the checkbook of Auburn that dishes out $200K to talented QBs

2) Ohio State is on probation, which frees up Ohio plus Kelly has connections there because he was at Cincy; also, Pennsylvania is a huge state and Penn State is just something nobody even wants to admit exists right now.

3) Notre Dame has long been able to say "we want X" and go get him. It's not like it used to be, but it is still there.

This is why last Saturday night's game between USC and ND was the highest rated college FB game since 2006 higher than last year's Rose Bowl or Fiesta Bowl. ND is to college FB what the Yankees are to pro baseball. So many people watch them. This is good for college FB when ND is good, good for all the programs. Do you know how many little kids will watch that BCS game dreaming of playing for thier dream program?
That game was highly rated only because the Irish were number one. If they were a .500 team like they've been for most of the last two decades that game would not have registered - even if USC was in the running. Keep in mind that MANY fans of Oregon, K-State and Alabama tuned in hoping for an upset.

Both schools try to do it the right way too. ND has a 97% Grad rate, Alabama's is 75% which is stilll a very good grad rate.
Agreed - I remember when our GR was about 20% or so - terrible.

You never hear about kids from either program stealing computers or getting arrested for beating up people. (Couple of ND players have gotten in trouble for drinking and driving)

If Alabama wins tommorrow, and I think they will, I am going on record that the BCS NC game will get the highest ratings of any college FB game in the last 20 years.
I think it will be the highest rated game ever just because of the pedigrees.

Maverick2

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 28, 2012
Not a problem here - although we hear every year about how the SEC stacks the schedule. Hear me clearly - Arkansas and Kentucky do that; LSU, Tennessee (grinds teeth), and Alabama do not. LSU, in fact, might be the best of doing the home and home thing.

There are some counter-problems to that:

1) Alabama has to compete with the checkbook of Auburn that dishes out $200K to talented QBs

2) Ohio State is on probation, which frees up Ohio plus Kelly has connections there because he was at Cincy; also, Pennsylvania is a huge state and Penn State is just something nobody even wants to admit exists right now.

3) Notre Dame has long been able to say "we want X" and go get him. It's not like it used to be, but it is still there.

That game was highly rated only because the Irish were number one. If they were a .500 team like they've been for most of the last two decades that game would not have registered - even if USC was in the running. Keep in mind that MANY fans of Oregon, K-State and Alabama tuned in hoping for an upset.

Agreed - I remember when our GR was about 20% or so - terrible.

I think it will be the highest rated game ever just because of the pedigrees.

You know you hear these stories of some of these programs bribing kids and you don't believe it but I guess it's true.

As far as the USC-ND game being the highest rated in 6 years, definitely all the Florida, Oregon fans and everyone else contributed to that. But don't forget this too, a couple of weeks ago ABC had their Saturday night prime time game ND against a what 2-8 BC squad? ABC would have NEVER put any other team who was undefeated against a team like that prime time. And they still got monster ratings for that game.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Did you ever think maybe they tuned in because everyone wanted to see ND lose so their team could play for the title? Tons of other schools' fans were watching that game hoping ND would lose.

Edit: Looks like this has already been discussed, sorry

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Can someone tell me why a Notre Dame fan came on to an Alabama message board trying to provide "objective" stats and argue views? I'll be on an atheism message board telling them why Christianity is correct while I wait on the answer.

Maverick2

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 28, 2012
Did you ever think maybe they tuned in because everyone wanted to see ND lose so their team could play for the title? Tons of other schools' fans were watching that game hoping ND would lose.
Of course that was part of it, EVERY week ND has tons of people watching hoping they lose. I put in a previous post that ABC had an undefeated ND as their prime time nationally tevevised game against BC who had a losing record. They would NEVER do that with any other unbeaten team. And they still got hughe ratings because of the following ND has, and the people who hate them and want to see them lose.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Of course that was part of it, EVERY week ND has tons of people watching hoping they lose. I put in a previous post that ABC had an undefeated ND as their prime time nationally tevevised game against BC who had a losing record. They would NEVER do that with any other unbeaten team. And they still got hughe ratings because of the following ND has, and the people who hate them and want to see them lose.
Yeah, Alabama wasn't on the SEC game of the week against an Auburn team with a losing record. Only ND gets that type of honor. :rolleyes:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I don't know if I would say "never". Auburn didn't win an SEC game all year yet we were the national CBS game this year. Granted, 2:30 isn't "prime time" but it's the premier slot IMO.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Anybody that thinks that ND will be a pushover is sadly mistaken. Texas thought that about us a few years ago and we all know where that got them. Hopefully we get our shot this year because it will be a momentous game.

Maverick2

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 28, 2012
Yeah, Alabama wasn't on the SEC game of the week against an Auburn team with a losing record. Only ND gets that type of honor. :rolleyes:
That game was not on at night prime time. ABC/ESPN puts the games on prime time that they know will draw the most eyes from all across the country. It's all about $$$$

Maverick2

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 28, 2012
Anybody that thinks that ND will be a pushover is sadly mistaken. Texas thought that about us a few years ago and we all know where that got them. Hopefully we get our shot this year because it will be a momentous game.
Texas was done as soon as McCoy got hurt early in that game. Lose your starting QB and have to play a freshman? Forget it. Still think Alabama would have won, but had McCoy played the game would have been tighter.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That game was not on at night prime time. ABC/ESPN puts the games on prime time that they know will draw the most eyes from all across the country. It's all about $$$$
ESPN gets its SEC pick second to CBS (excluding a couple of weeks because of the package deal for LSU/Bama). That's not ESPN's fault that CBS picked the #2 team to play in the CBS national game of the week. Listen, I understand that not every team and fan base can be as superior as Notre Dame. I really get it. However, you're pouring your Kool-Aid into a glass with a lid on it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Texas was done as soon as McCoy got hurt early in that game. Lose your starting QB and have to play a freshman? Forget it. Still think Alabama would have won, but had McCoy played the game would have been tighter.
Again, you make a great point. Texas's #2 rushing defense in the nation really needed Colt McCoy to stop a Sophomore and a Freshman for EACH running over 100 yards.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Let him prance a little bit fellas. I mean, it has been 20 years or so since Notre Dame fans could prance around with their pinkies out, flicking their noses at the rest of the country letting them know how inferior we were to them. So let him go.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.