Objective Comparison of the Schedules and Stats of ND, Alabama, UGA

Maverick2

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 28, 2012
Again, you make a great point. Texas's #2 rushing defense in the nation really needed Colt McCoy to stop a Sophomore and a Freshman for EACH running over 100 yards.
Ah, yeah when your offense can't move the ball and is constantly punting or turning it over yeah I think the other team is EVENTUALLY going to waer out ANY defense.

Let me ask you this smart guy? How do you think Alabama would do in a NC game having to play a green freshman? Answer that? Let's say McCarron got hurt on the first series in the NC game and was forced to play a true freshman how do you think they would do? How do you think that "vaunted D" would hold up with constant 3 and outs and turnovers?

I know you would win anyway

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Ah, yeah when your offense can't move the ball and is constantly punting or turning it over yeah I think the other team is EVENTUALLY going to waer out ANY defense.

Let me ask you this smart guy? How do you think Alabama would do in a NC game having to play a green freshman? Answer that? Let's say McCarron got hurt on the first series in the NC game and was forced to play a true freshman how do you think they would do? How do you think that "vaunted D" would hold up with constant 3 and outs and turnovers?

Considering Alabama actually plays its #2, and #3 at times, Bama would do better than Texas. BTW - Trent broke off a long TD run in the second half prior to their D being able to get worn down, so that argument is void. Alabama's passing game against Texas was horrendous because McElroy had bruised ribs. AJ was one snap away from losing his redshirt in order to take over. That night did not consist of Alabama successfully passing and running. It was run or nothing since Greg was injured.

And the way a Freshman QB played against ND's defense despite his coach's crappy playcalling, I'm not real worried when AJ McCarron lines up against you.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

All these arguments were played out two years ago.

Mack Brown made his bed padding McCoy's stats late in games instead of getting Gilbert Garrett valuable game experience.

McElroy played Texas with broken ribs, so who knows if a healthy McCarron would have done just as well? Doesn't matter anyway, since 2009 is in the books.

Could Bama's backup QB win a national championship game? Maybe. He's gotten game experience this year, and has a good running game to help him out. Hope we don't have to find out.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
All these arguments were played out two years ago.

Mack Brown made his bed padding McCoy's stats late in games instead of getting Gilbert Garrett valuable game experience.

McElroy played Texas with broken ribs, so who knows if a healthy McCarron would have done just as well? Doesn't matter anyway, since 2009 is in the books.

Could Bama's backup QB win a national championship game? Maybe. He's gotten game experience this year, and has a good running game to help him out. Hope we don't have to find out.

Greg was 6/11 for only 58 yards. Trent and Mark were our stars for the game, so I bet McCarron could have done fine as well. We exposed the "rush defense" of Texas with 205 yards.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
when you look at both sides of the ball
Football is a team game. That means all of 'em. That's what I tried to explain last year to Okie St. fans. It's not about who has the best O or who has the best D. It's about who has the best team.

You can't disregard half your team and hope to cover up their shortcomings with the other half, whether it's offense or defense. Especially since they're on the field almost half the time if not more. Balance is the key...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Look here partner. To keep from wasting all of our time and getting this thread locked. Let's just cut to the chase so we can all move on. You're not going to get anyone on this board to concede that Notre Dame is better than either one of the two teams playing tomorrow in the SECCG. Seeing that your team has been irrelevant for 20+ years, odds are ND is going to have to string together more than one good season and actually win a big bowl game before you re-gain any pre-game respect. We had to do it to re-gain any type of national respect, and so will you. One 12-0 regular season just ain't gonna all of a sudden take time all the way back to y'alls glory years. It is a different landscape of college football. Just as we were told in 2007. And you know what, it's true. It is harder to win, harder to recruit and harder to stay on top. We understand you are very proud of your team, as you should be. But in y'alls 20+ years Rip Van winkle sleep other teams have laid down some very deep roots of winning and winning consistently. The SEC has had three specifically in Bama, Florida and LSU. Again, all those stats you've laid down doesn't mean anything to us. Because we've heard it seven other times going into BCSNCG. We've heard it before. It is nothing more than a waiting game for y'all now. It will either be Jawga or Bama.

But to sit here and say y'alls record against such and such type team has absolutely no bearing on how the BCSNCG will go. Again, many of SEC team heard the same thing many times over. Stats showing how many points such and such had put up and against such and such defense and so on. And 7 out of 7 times it didn't mount to a hill of beans. The crystal ball ended up back in the SEC. The game is played on the field. Not on paper.

It is a telling sign when ESPN cuts to a shot in a local South Bend bar full of Irish fans and they are singing "Too legit to quit" in celebration of beating USCw.

Last edited:

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Jeez....I'm already tired of Notre Dame being relevant again for 5 minutes just because of this guy. Rest assured, they're going to quickly remind everyone just how nice it's been the past 20 years or so with the domers checking in at the champ sports and sun bowls.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Jeez....I'm already tired of Notre Dame being relevant again for 5 minutes just because of this guy. Rest assured, they're going to quickly remind everyone just how nice it's been the past 20 years or so with the domers checking in at the champ sports and sun bowls.
The media (specifically Brent Mushberger) has been waiting on either USC or Notre Dame to resurrect to yesteryear so they can flood the air waves and tv screens with how awesome they are. For a lot of folks in the media and across the country. It's been like eating a doo-doo sandwich for the last six years having to watch the SEC lift the crystal six consecutive times.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Texas was done as soon as McCoy got hurt early in that game. Lose your starting QB and have to play a freshman? Forget it. Still think Alabama would have won, but had McCoy played the game would have been tighter.
You just mentioned the unmentionable!!!

1) Maclom Williams - poor guy, TD pass hit him right in the hands. Colt couldn't hep with that.

2) Colt don't play no defense, so 37 points are still going on the board.

3) They had first and goal from the four and got 3 points.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Buzz, I remember similar conversations with Tejas fans about their vaunted #1 Run Defense. How much can you tell about your run defense when you never face a running team. ND will get their chance to be the one that stops the SEC, but just on the eye test they will have to play their best game all year to be close, much less win. Mantei will get tired against UGA or Bama I guarantee.

Johnwants#15

1st Team
Nov 30, 2005
All these Notre Dame fans here telling us how good they are and how they belong...
Brings to mind one question, Are you trying to convince us,, or are you trying to convince yourselves?????

Sure seems like the second.

tambo410

1st Team
Nov 25, 2008
Fallston, MD
www.vrbo.com
This thread has developed into what I have come to expect when trying to discuss football with almost any of the domer nation... Like playing pick-up sticks with your but cheeks... very frustrating. Given time their "Holier than thou" attitude will always come out!

We get it, Bama or UGA is doomed to fall to the dome.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
This thread has developed into what I have come to expect when trying to discuss football with almost any of the domer nation... Like playing pick-up sticks with your but cheeks... very frustrating. Given time their "Holier than thou" attitude will always come out!

We get it, Bama or UGA is doomed to fall to the dome.
And some of the younger fans I talk to can't understand why I can't stand Notre Dame. They weren't old enough to have to listen to them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.