Objective Comparison of the Schedules and Stats of ND, Alabama, UGA

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
That SEC Championship game you just witnessed is why it's silly to question SEC teams' OOC schedule.

That was grown man football right there. Passing, running, special teams, defense. And slobberknocking hitting. All phases.

Maverick2

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 28, 2012
That SEC Championship game you just witnessed is why it's silly to question SEC teams' OOC schedule.

That was grown man football right there. Passing, running, special teams, defense. And slobberknocking hitting. All phases.

And ATROCIOUS tackling by UGA. I see why they were 69th against the run.

scottsborobama

3rd Team
Sep 11, 2006
Preface: I am not saying that Notre Dame didn't play a tough schedule. I am also not stating that Bama's was tougher. However, there are some fallacies in claiming Notre Dame's schedule was far superior. Even in the claim of the number of bowl eligible teams that ND defeated. I will not call into question Stanford, Michigan, or Oklahoma. The other seven bowl eligible teams are listed below with their records and teams that they defeated to get there:

Purdue 6-6 (Marshall, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, E Michigan, E Kentucky)
Navy 7-4 (VMI, Air Force, C Michigan, Indiana, E Carolina, Florida Atlantic, TX State)
BYU 7-5 (Wash State, Webber, Hawaii, Utah St, Georgia Tech, Idaho, N Mexico St)
Pitt 6-6 (Va Tech, Webber, Buffalo, Temple, Rutgers, USF)
Michigan State 6-6 (Boise St, C Michigan, E Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota)
Miami 7-5 (Boston College, Cookston, Georgia Tech, NC State, Va Tech, USF, Duke)
USC 7-5 (Hawaii, Syracuse, Cal, Utah, Washington, Colorado, ASU)

Several of those bowl eligible teams got their wins against terrible teams. It is easy to say that ND beat a ton of bowl eligible teams, but when you look at how those teams became bowl eligible it loses it's luster!

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
And ATROCIOUS tackling by UGA. I see why they were 69th against the run.
5-6 Pittsburgh that you should have gotten beat. You know it, we know it and the world knows it. Don't start talking about bad tackling in our conference championship game when you lucked out of your butt to win in OT against a pitiful team like Pittsburgh.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Ah, you won't rush for 300 hundred yards against ND that I can tell you

Whatever you do... don't come back here "humbled" with the typical "good game" nonsense after the Tide gets done knocking all those shiny little gold flakes out of the helmets of your Irish.

Just disappearing for another 20 or so years will suffice.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
I'm here to say GG. Also here to say I don't really want to argue about who has a better schedule anymore. I'm done with that, and if it was our board we may /thread. Not insinuiating anything at all. Just saying I'd love to talk scheme, players, coaching, etc. Looking forward to being underdogs, and can't wait for this game. I hope you guys get healthy, and will wait for another thread to open up!

tru2thaduce

All-SEC
Nov 25, 2005
Wichita,Kansas
If ND plays both of its safety's back like they usually do,then it's gonna be a rough day for the Irish.Its going to be a smash mouth game for sure.Just the way we like it here at Alabama.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Ah, you won't rush for 300 hundred yards against ND that I can tell you
Again, Bama faced the #2 rushing D in 2009. Texas gave up 100+ yards to Mark and Trent.

Murray didn't get hurt, so the McCoy excuse doesn't come into play.

Keep talking your smack about your stout run D. UGA and Texas did. We know how that turned out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my post may not be what I typed thanks to auto correct. Also, I may need an emoticon but cannot use one in this post.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Ok..Ok... so stop me if you've heard this one...

What does Notre Dame have in common with marijuana?

They both get smoked in a bowl...

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
I'm here to say GG. Also here to say I don't really want to argue about who has a better schedule anymore. I'm done with that, and if it was our board we may /thread. Not insinuiating anything at all. Just saying I'd love to talk scheme, players, coaching, etc. Looking forward to being underdogs, and can't wait for this game. I hope you guys get healthy, and will wait for another thread to open up!
You've been a good sport. Look forward to more discussion before the big game.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It will be an interesting strength on strength matchup. We SEC fans firmly believe that SEC competition is at a whole other level though, and the past 6 BCS games attest to that. You can compare numbers, but you can't compare the physicality of SEC play. If Notre Dame has an advantage it's that they could sit and rest while Alabama played in that gargantuan clash.

I think the SEC dominance is something that can be measured and seen. It's not just about how the SEC does in the middle of a brutal schedule. And mind you, it isn't about how good the teams are, it's about how physical the teams are in some cases. Oregon vs. USC was flag football. Alabama vs. Georgia was grown man football as they said. You can go out the week after a Pac-12 matchup and feel great, after a big SEC matchup? You feel that, you walk slower, it degrades your performance. Anyway, here are three results I pulled out that I think illustrate the SEC's strength as it relates to Alabama.

LSU beat Washington 41-3. This was Washington's worst loss of the year.
Georgia beat Georgia Tech 42-10. This was Georgia Tech's worst loss of the year.
Alabama beat Michigan 41-14. This was Michigan's worst loss of the year.

So there you have the Pac-12, ACC, and Big 10 and the SEC elites showed their dominance. Now in defense of Notre Dame, they did give a few teams their worst losses (as did Alabama), but they didn't have to play an SEC schedule which is a whole other beast entirely. I think this game could go either way, but I favor Alabama in this. I think Notre Dame faces a similar challenge to LSU in that they'll have to pass on Alabama to have a chance at winning. LSU was able to, but I don't think Golson has the natural passing abilities Mettenberger has. Golson was a three star dual-threat and Mettenberger was a four start pro-style (with a lot more experience).

If you want numbers, Sagarin has Alabam at #1 again and the predictor puts them at #1 as well.

SoINIrishFan

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 2, 2012
Look here partner. To keep from wasting all of our time and getting this thread locked. Let's just cut to the chase so we can all move on. You're not going to get anyone on this board to concede that Notre Dame is better than either one of the two teams playing tomorrow in the SECCG. Seeing that your team has been irrelevant for 20+ years, odds are ND is going to have to string together more than one good season and actually win a big bowl game before you re-gain any pre-game respect. We had to do it to re-gain any type of national respect, and so will you. One 12-0 regular season just ain't gonna all of a sudden take time all the way back to y'alls glory years. It is a different landscape of college football. Just as we were told in 2007. And you know what, it's true. It is harder to win, harder to recruit and harder to stay on top. We understand you are very proud of your team, as you should be. But in y'alls 20+ years Rip Van winkle sleep other teams have laid down some very deep roots of winning and winning consistently. The SEC has had three specifically in Bama, Florida and LSU. Again, all those stats you've laid down doesn't mean anything to us. Because we've heard it seven other times going into BCSNCG. We've heard it before. It is nothing more than a waiting game for y'all now. It will either be Jawga or Bama.

But to sit here and say y'alls record against such and such type team has absolutely no bearing on how the BCSNCG will go. Again, many of SEC team heard the same thing many times over. Stats showing how many points such and such had put up and against such and such defense and so on. And 7 out of 7 times it didn't mount to a hill of beans. The crystal ball ended up back in the SEC. The game is played on the field. Not on paper.

It is a telling sign when ESPN cuts to a shot in a local South Bend bar full of Irish fans and they are singing "Too legit to quit" in celebration of beating USCw.
Very well stated. I couldn't agree more. Notre Dame has the pedigree, but needs to show they belong in the conversation again. Until we do, I'll gladly accept our lesser status. I hope this is a game for the ages. Good luck, and great football to you all.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
LSU was able to, but I don't think Golson has the natural passing abilities Mettenberger has. Golson was a three star dual-threat and Mettenberger was a four start pro-style (with a lot more experience).

If you want numbers, Sagarin has Alabam at #1 again and the predictor puts them at #1 as well.
This means absolutely nothing. I don't care what the star before their name was.

Dual-threat is what you lost to this year, so again I don't really see any logic to the comparison or to the point.

Schedule talk is meh. At this point, we know who we're playing against. I will say that playing in that cage match yesterday might hurt. But it might help as well. Lots of teams have a tough time dealing with the time off. With less time off, that is one extra week of game mode that Bama was in.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.