Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Recipes
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Re: Objective Comparison of the Schedules and Stats of ND, Alabama, UGA

Quote Originally Posted by tambo410 View Post
    This thread has developed into what I have come to expect when trying to discuss football with almost any of the domer nation... Like playing pick-up sticks with your but cheeks... very frustrating. Given time their "Holier than thou" attitude will always come out!

We get it, Bama or UGA is doomed to fall to the dome.
    And some of the younger fans I talk to can't understand why I can't stand Notre Dame. They weren't old enough to have to listen to them.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Objective Comparison of the Schedules and Stats of ND, Alabama, UGA

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    And some of the younger fans I talk to can't understand why I can't stand Notre Dame. They weren't old enough to have to listen to them.
    Think Texas longhorns but with gold helmets. It took about 15 seconds before we found out why Aggies can't stand them.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BamainBoston View Post
    That's awesome!

Sent from my Asus EEE Pad Transformer using Tapatalk 2
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you've earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.
    - Thomas Sowell

BamaNation Second Team FriendlyIrish's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lafella View Post
    hrmm by the time all is said and done Bama and Georgia will have played 3 teams in the current top 10. Notre dame 0.
    This is obviously completely false. I hope this is a joke.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Shocked on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    Obviously, Notre Dame will have played Stanford and the SEC champion.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    Obviously, Notre Dame will have played Stanford and the SEC champion.
    Right. And if Oklahoma wins out, they would likely move up. Not to mention if Texas bests KSU, we will have beaten the PAC 12 and Big 12 champions.

BamaNation Hall of Fame IH8Orange's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Volatile on TideFans.com

Using the W/L records of opponents to measure difficulty of schedule is useless unless the opponents play within the same schedule difficulties exclusive of the games with the teams of interest.

For instance, Notre Dame's opponents had a combined 79-62 record as of the end of last week. However, Notre Dame played 3 opponents from the Big Ten conference (56.9% overall winning percentage, 30.9% winning percentage over FBS teams having a winning record, and 22.0% winning percentage over AP ranked teams) and 3 opponents from the ACC (52.1% overall winning percentage, 26.2% winning percentage over FBS teams having a winning record, but only an 8.0% winning record over AP ranked teams).

Bama and Georgia have played 8 opponents each from the SEC which has a 61.9% overall winning percentage, a 36.4% winning percentage over FBS teams having a winning record, and a nation-leading 23.6% winning percentage over AP ranked teams. The win/loss ratio of SEC opponents will fluctuate annually due to the dominant teams falling off the schedule some years. For instance, if both Florida and South Carolina had been on our schedule as they were in 2010, our opponent W/L ratio would look very good. If we won both of those games and then played Georgia in the SECCG, it would far outweigh Notre Dame's opponent record. Of course, if those teams were on the schedule, we might not be playing in the SECCG.

All winning teams aren't equal because the conferences in which they gain the majority of their wins are not equal. Just look at the difference between the Big Ten and ACC. They both have cumulative winning records over their opponents, and their records over FBS teams with winning records are similar. However, there's a huge difference in their records against ranked opponents (9 wins in 41 games for the Big 10 and 2 wins in 25 games for the ACC).

Every year, the schedule of SEC teams are criticized but almost every year the remainder of the college football world throws another behemoth which supposedly played a more difficult schedule against the best that the SEC has to offer and every year the SEC shows that has the best team in the nation, usually by methodically destroying the opponent. It's like a recurring theme with the same outcome every year but everyone outside the SEC just can't seem to face the fact that regardless of the "apparently" soft schedule played by SEC teams, it is rare that an SEC is truly challenged by an opponent from outside of the conference.

Send on the Irish. If their schedule was truly as difficult as they state, then they should be well prepared to face the SEC champion. If their resume is as accurate as Coach O'Leary's, then they'll be exposed in the same manner.
    "If it feels good, then you're not doing it right" - Coach Scott Cochran

"Sharing a conference with Nick Saban is like sharing a steak with a lion. Only one of you wins that battle. And it's not you." - Gregg Doyel

Post Thanks / Like

If you could view the best teams on the roster in isolation, your metric might work. However, your FCS and other non-conference games bring you down, just low enough, to where our SOS is better. Nevertheless, the tougher teams on your schedule are probably overall tougher than the toughest teams on our schedule.

I really don't think it is just other teams not willing to schedule the SEC. I think it is the SEC that is also unwilling to schedule very good, out of conference opponents. Seeing as how the SEC is 11-12 against the PAC 12 since 2000, it is understandable. And seeing how USC is 4-0 since 2000, it is also understandable.

BamaNation Hall of Fame IH8Orange's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Volatile on TideFans.com

I really don't think it is just other teams not willing to schedule the SEC. I think it is the SEC that is also unwilling to schedule very good, out of conference opponents. Seeing as how the SEC is 11-12 against the PAC 12 since 2000, it is understandable. And seeing how USC is 4-0 since 2000, it is also understandable.
    The most important game that the Pac12 has played against the SEC didn't go their way. Most of those Pac12 games were not played against the top SEC teams at the time. When the Pac12 has faced the top SEC teams, it's typically not gone their way. See Oregon against LSU last year as an example.
    "If it feels good, then you're not doing it right" - Coach Scott Cochran

"Sharing a conference with Nick Saban is like sharing a steak with a lion. Only one of you wins that battle. And it's not you." - Gregg Doyel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IH8Orange View Post
    The most important game that the Pac12 has played against the SEC didn't go their way. Most of those Pac12 games were not played against the top SEC teams at the time. When the Pac12 has faced the top SEC teams, it's typically not gone their way. See Oregon against LSU last year as an example.
    Right. But that is only one year. I went back to 2000.

The justification is you don't need to schedule out of conference games because the in conference is so tough. Yet, if many teams outside the SEC are inferior, and they are all playing against inferior teams in their conference as well, NO ONE would schedule an out of conference game. Their justification would be the same as yours.

My point is I don't think its other teams that don't want to schedule you. I think many would like a shot, actually.

BamaNation All-American NationalTitles15's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

As of 3pm it will be true for both teams.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

BamaNation All-American NationalTitles15's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Right. But that is only one year. I went back to 2000.

The justification is you don't need to schedule out of conference games because the in conference is so tough. Yet, if many teams outside the SEC are inferior, and they are all playing against inferior teams in their conference as well, NO ONE would schedule an out of conference game. Their justification would be the same as yours.

My point is I don't think its other teams that don't want to schedule you. I think many would like a shot, actually.
    Alabama is about as different a team in 2012 compared to 2000 as it can get. If your argument wasn't about a single upcoming game and instead was about dominance over a period of time it might be relevant in some way. As it stands, not so much...not at all really.

But it's OK. Keep talking. Just be sure not to disappear when the crow is done cooking.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!