Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Results 92 to 104 of 166
  1. #92
    BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    4,449
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Objective Comparison of the Schedules and Stats of ND, Alabama, UGA

    I really like Coach Kelly, he is a lot like CNS on the sidelines & interviews.

    Other than that the only good thing I can say about ND is well at least you are not 10rc or API.

    BB is right there are still enough of us around that remember the 60's & 70's so talk on, you will have your day to show what kind of team you have.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #93
    BamaNation All-American trenda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Hendersonville, TN USA
    Posts
    4,104
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

    Re: Objective Comparison of the Schedules and Stats of ND, Alabama, UGA

    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    If you could view the best teams on the roster in isolation, your metric might work. However, your FCS and other non-conference games bring you down, just low enough, to where our SOS is better. Nevertheless, the tougher teams on your schedule are probably overall tougher than the toughest teams on our schedule.

    I really don't think it is just other teams not willing to schedule the SEC. I think it is the SEC that is also unwilling to schedule very good, out of conference opponents. Seeing as how the SEC is 11-12 against the PAC 12 since 2000, it is understandable. And seeing how USC is 4-0 since 2000, it is also understandable.
    A lot of it has to do with money, willingness to play home and home, etc. However, I do believe the SEC gets a lot of stereotyping from fans of other conferences as well.

    Oregon played Arkansas State, Fresno State and Tennessee Tech for their OOC this year. USC played Hawaii, Syracuse and Notre Dame. Florida State played Murray State, Savannah State and Florida. Kansas State played Missouri State, Miami and North Texas. Ohio State played Miaimi(OH), UCF, Cal and UAB. Dropping the FCS game that replaces a 9th conference game (I don't agree with playing FCS schools, BTW), Bama played Michigan, Western KY and FL Atlantic. LSU played North Texas, Washington and Idaho.

    Is there really much difference in these schedules??? It's all subjective; but I don't see much difference.
    RTR


  4. #94
    FB Moderator Bamabuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Posts
    18,427
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

    Re: Objective Comparison of the Schedules and Stats of ND, Alabama, UGA

    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    If you could view the best teams on the roster in isolation, your metric might work. However, your FCS and other non-conference games bring you down, just low enough, to where our SOS is better. Nevertheless, the tougher teams on your schedule are probably overall tougher than the toughest teams on our schedule.

    I really don't think it is just other teams not willing to schedule the SEC. I think it is the SEC that is also unwilling to schedule very good, out of conference opponents. Seeing as how the SEC is 11-12 against the PAC 12 since 2000, it is understandable. And seeing how USC is 4-0 since 2000, it is also understandable.
    Unfortunately we do not have complete control over our schedule yet y'all do and schedule Purdue and Wake Forest? Yet you are here basically calling the SEC "scared" to schedule tougher OOC games. WOW!

    The Irish is certainly back......their fans at least. No doubt one of the most arrogant fanbases of all time.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

    "It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

    "If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

  5. #95
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    4,114

    Re: Objective Comparison of the Schedules and Stats of ND, Alabama, UGA

    Alabama's OOC schedule since 2000:

    2000 and 2001: Home and home with UCLA. On paper a quality opponenet.
    2002 and 2003. Home and home with Oklahoma. At Hawaii. 2003 also featured an improving South Florida squad.
    2004: Southern Miss. Nothing to write home about.
    2005: Southern Miss. Again, nothing special.
    2006: Duke. Weak sauce.
    2007: Neutral site with FSU.
    2008: Neutral site with Clemson.
    2009: Neutral site with Virginia Tech.
    2010 and 2011: Home and home with Penn State.
    2012: Neutral site with Michigan.

    That's almost twelve years with a serious OOC game. Combine that with an eight game SEC schedule and I think any school is entitled to a couple of cupcakes.

  6. #96
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,810
    My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

    Re: Objective Comparison of the Schedules and Stats of ND, Alabama, UGA

    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    I really don't think it is just other teams not willing to schedule the SEC. I think it is the SEC that is also unwilling to schedule very good, out of conference opponents.

    Really?

    Hmmm. Keep in mind that Florida plays Florida State every single year, South Carolina plays Clemson, and Georgia plays Ga Tech.


    2008
    Florida vs Miami
    Tennessee vs UCLA
    Georgia vs Arizona State
    Alabama vs Clemson
    Arkansas vs Texas
    Mississippi State vs Ga Tech
    Auburn vs West Virginia

    2009
    LSU vs Washington
    Georgia vs Oklahoma State
    Georgia vs Arizona State
    Tennessee vs UCLA
    Alabama vs Va Tech
    Mississippi State vs Houston
    Auburn vs West Virginia
    Arkansas vs Texas A/M

    2010
    Auburn vs Clemson
    Alabama vs Penn State
    Arkansas vs Texas A/M
    Ole Miss vs Fresno State
    Tennessee vs Oregon
    LSU vs North Carolina
    Georgia vs Colorado (see note below)

    2011
    Georgia vs Boise State
    Arkansas vs Texas A/M
    Alabama vs Penn State
    Auburn vs Clemson
    LSU vs Oregon
    Ole Miss vs BYU



    Now - I'm sure you'll come back at me with the typical, "But Colorado and (fill in the blank) weren't any good that year." But you know well that those games are USUALLY scheduled 5-7 years out if not longer. I'm sure the UGA-Colorado game was scheduled back when the Buffs were pretty good a decade ago.

    So do you now care to revise your nonsensical statement?





    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    Seeing as how the SEC is 11-12 against the PAC 12 since 2000, it is understandable.
    So the SEC is now afraid of the Pac 12? Is that why Oregon, allegedly the greatest offensive juggernaut ever seen and capable of putting 60 points on Alabama, went 0-2 in consecutive games against the SEC eight months apart?

    Making that comparison is flawed on many fronts. In MOST of those cases, you have the TOP of the Pac 12 beating up on the BOTTOM of the SEC (Oregon drilling 3-9 and 2-10 Mississippi State in 2002 and 2003 are hardly fair case comparisons).


    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    And seeing how USC is 4-0 since 2000, it is also understandable.

    Of course, I can counter with:

    1) They haven't played an SEC team since 2006. So you're going off SIX YEARS AGO!!!
    2) Their 2005 win has been vacated, meaning it's actually 11-11.
    3) The SEC is 8-5 in the games since 2006 (hey, if you can pick an arbitrary date that doesn't tell the whole story, so can I).
    4) Why would the SEC be scared to play teams OTHER than USC if it's USC that's 4-0?
    5) SIX of the ELEVEN victories have been by TWO teams, four of them top tier versus bottom tier.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again
    But until that day you know you are
    The queen of my heart

  7. #97
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Highland Home, AL
    Posts
    288

    Re: Objective Comparison of the Schedules and Stats of ND, Alabama, UGA

    .
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick2 View Post
    Playing Navy or Pitt is a WHOLE lot tougher then playing Western Carolina, Western Kentucky, or Florida Atlantic. IF ND EVER played a team like that the media would CRUCIFY them....Those games ARE scrimmages. And if the the mighty LSU can struggle against "mighty" Towson State (12-10 victory) and Florida can struggle against that "juggernaut" Louisiana Lafayette (27-20) ND can "struggle" against ANY team on their schedule.

    These are kids not professionals so ANYTHING is possible.
    Western Kentucky would destroy Navy and the media never crucifies ND. Saying they have always been media darlings would be an understatement. LSU won 12-10 against Auburn on the road early in the season.

  8. #98

    Re: Objective Comparison of the Schedules and Stats of ND, Alabama, UGA

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnwants#15 View Post
    All these Notre Dame fans here telling us how good they are and how they belong...
    Brings to mind one question, Are you trying to convince us,, or are you trying to convince yourselves?????


    Sure seems like the second.

    No answer?
    As I thought....

    Keep running that pie hole, there is a reckoning coming.
    Tradition-
    "Cherished by those who possess it, Envied by those without it, Scoffed by those who do not comprehend it and Desired by all who understand it." -Me

  9. #99
    BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    15,040
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

    Re: Objective Comparison of the Schedules and Stats of ND, Alabama, UGA

    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    If you could view the best teams on the roster in isolation, your metric might work. However, your FCS and other non-conference games bring you down, just low enough, to where our SOS is better. Nevertheless, the tougher teams on your schedule are probably overall tougher than the toughest teams on our schedule.
    Nobody cares whose calculated number is better. They care who will whip who on the field, and there is but one way to find out.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

  10. #100

    Re: Objective Comparison of the Schedules and Stats of ND, Alabama, UGA

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    Alabama's OOC schedule since 2000:

    2000 and 2001: Home and home with UCLA. On paper a quality opponenet.
    2002 and 2003. Home and home with Oklahoma. At Hawaii. 2003 also featured an improving South Florida squad.
    2004: Southern Miss. Nothing to write home about.
    2005: Southern Miss. Again, nothing special.
    2006: Duke. Weak sauce.
    2007: Neutral site with FSU.
    2008: Neutral site with Clemson.
    2009: Neutral site with Virginia Tech.
    2010 and 2011: Home and home with Penn State.
    2012: Neutral site with Michigan.

    That's almost twelve years with a serious OOC game. Combine that with an eight game SEC schedule and I think any school is entitled to a couple of cupcakes.
    This is fair. Some of those years were competitive, some were not. I tried actually making an objective, historical comparison with the Big 12...that got me nowhere. I will say that in comparison, at least with the Big 12, the OOC comparison doesn't render an honest conclusion one way or the other.

    I got hammered for picking an arbitrary year of "2000." Again, fair enough. Let's look at 2012. This year, the SEC has 14 OOC games against opponents from major conferences. Miss. St and A&M didn't play any OOC BCS opponents. Vandy and Missouri were the only teams to play more than one OOC BCS team. Four of the 14 OOC games to BCS opponents are the result of big, in state rivalries (FSU v. UF, Kentucky v. Louisville, Georgia v. GT, South Carolina v. Clemson). And most of the top teams in the SEC and their OOC games are either home, or on neutral sites. Florida has not even played an OOC game outside of Florida since 1991 (Syracuse)

    Now this is really going to upset you guys, and I know he doesn't speak for the conference in general. But in the words of Steve Spurrier, "If we keep playing the top teams from other conferences, our record isn't going to be near as good ... It's whether you want to be happy or want to play a whole bunch of tough teams." Once the SEC goes to a 9-conference schedule (like CNS wants to), it will be tougher to schedule really good OOC opponents.

    Listen. I'm not here to try and tear apart SEC OOC. I didn't even want to venture to that discussion. It all comes down to the SEC is the toughest conference to play in, thus there may not be a reason to schedule really tough OOC opponents consistently (at least for the top 7 in SEC this year). I think that my ultimate takeaway is that for everyone who says that ND should be in a conference and it is unfair that we aren't, look at our schedule. Look at where we travel (Dublin, Ireland, Oklahoma, SoCal, Boston, etc.). We play tough teams from the top of every conferences in regular season (except you, of course).
    Last edited by FriendlyIrish; December 1st, 2012 at 02:22 PM.

  11. #101
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    43,244

    Re: Objective Comparison of the Schedules and Stats of ND, Alabama, UGA

    Brando's prediction that UGA shocks the world certainly didn't shock anyone who knows and follows him...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

  12. #102
    BamaNation All-American NationalTitles15's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sweet Home Alabama!
    Posts
    2,824
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Objective Comparison of the Schedules and Stats of ND, Alabama, UGA

    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    This is fair. Some of those years were competitive, some were not. I tried actually making an objective, historical comparison with the Big 12...that got me nowhere. I will say that in comparison, at least with the Big 12, the OOC comparison doesn't render an honest conclusion one way or the other.

    I got hammered for picking an arbitrary year of "2000." Again, fair enough. Let's look at 2012. This year, the SEC has 14 OOC games against opponents from major conferences. Miss. St and A&M didn't play any OOC BCS opponents. Vandy and Missouri were the only teams to play more than one OOC BCS team. Four of the 14 OOC games to BCS opponents are the result of big, in state rivalries (FSU v. UF, Kentucky v. Louisville, Georgia v. GT, South Carolina v. Clemson). And most of the top teams in the SEC and their OOC games are either home, or on neutral sites. Florida has not even played an OOC game outside of Florida since 1991 (Syracuse)

    Now this is really going to upset you guys, and I know he doesn't speak for the conference in general. But in the words of Steve Spurrier, "If we keep playing the top teams from other conferences, our record isn't going to be near as good ... It's whether you want to be happy or want to play a whole bunch of tough teams." Once the SEC goes to a 9-conference schedule (like CNS wants to), it will be tougher to schedule really good OOC opponents.

    Listen. I'm not here to try and tear apart SEC OOC. I didn't even want to venture to that discussion. It all comes down to the SEC is the toughest conference to play in, thus there may not be a reason to schedule really tough OOC opponents consistently (at least for the top 7 in SEC this year). I think that my ultimate takeaway is that for everyone who says that ND should be in a conference and it is unfair that we aren't, look at our schedule. Look at where we travel (Dublin, Ireland, Oklahoma, SoCal, Boston, etc.). We play tough teams from the top of every conferences in regular season (except you, of course).
    Box. Of. Rocks.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

  13. #103
    BamaNation All-American trenda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Hendersonville, TN USA
    Posts
    4,104
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

    Re: Objective Comparison of the Schedules and Stats of ND, Alabama, UGA

    That SEC Championship game you just witnessed is why it's silly to question SEC teams' OOC schedule.

    That was grown man football right there. Passing, running, special teams, defense. And slobberknocking hitting. All phases.
    RTR


  14. #104
    Thread Starter

    Re: Objective Comparison of the Schedules and Stats of ND, Alabama, UGA

    Quote Originally Posted by trenda View Post
    That SEC Championship game you just witnessed is why it's silly to question SEC teams' OOC schedule.

    That was grown man football right there. Passing, running, special teams, defense. And slobberknocking hitting. All phases.

    And ATROCIOUS tackling by UGA. I see why they were 69th against the run.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!