Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team Im_on_dsp's Avatar

Re: CFN: SEC Preview - Alabama vs. Georgia

We had a conference call this morning and my boss (big UGA fan) was yammering on about how he was getting BCSCG tickets and was working on lining up accommodations in Miami in January. I can't wait to go in Monday morning and offer to take those tickets off his hands.

2. Advertisement

the ajc this week has been down right hilarious. they have an unhealthy obsession with saban. they have articles about how miami hates him, how he is "overrated" and i even saw one that, no-lie, somehow produced "stats" to prove that richt is just as good of a coach as saban. its pretty funny.
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive0 on TideFans.com

I have been watching espn, espnu and listening to radio all week long. There is a lot of talk about what Georgia needs to do, how their defense needs to step up, how Murray needs to play well...etc.

I like the focus on them more than us, it puts a lot of pressure on them to live up to all the expectations.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation Hall of Fame Jessica4Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Then why do they have us playing the BCSCG on their bowl projection page? I'm confused.
    So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. - 2 Corinthians 4:18

To worship You, I live
    To worship You, I live
    I live to worship You. -
    Israel Houghton

BamaNation Second Team CRMSNtide's Avatar

Seems to be the hot thing to pick Georgia right now, but when you really take a look and compare teams, Bama is a flat out better team, Bama has Nick Saban and Georgia is known folding up in big games.

No reason to pick Georgia unless you just think they will play one of their best games of the year and Bama will be average.

Theres a reason Vegas has us a strong favorite.

BamaNation All-American

biggest concern to me is getting pressure on Aaron Murray...
    if we dont get pressure, he's dangerous in the pockewt...
    and our secondary seems to lose coverage when a QB gets time...

If we can establish a run game and keep them from running, then the pressure is on Murray...which I think will be the key to the game...make them one dim ensional...if we dont, thats trouble.

I think we win, but I also think this will be a very tough game...

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    biggest concern to me is getting pressure on Aaron Murray...
    if we dont get pressure, he's dangerous in the pockewt...
    and our secondary seems to lose coverage when a QB gets time...
    I'm more concerned with shutting down their running game. If they can't run, they simple WILL NOT beat us. Assuming we can keep their running game in check, we've got this - a one-dimensional team can't beat a CNS defense..
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive0 on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I'm more concerned with shutting down their running game. If they can't run, they simple WILL NOT beat us. Assuming we can keep their running game in check, we've got this - a one-dimensional team can't beat a CNS defense..

Their backs are more fast and nimble than strong, right? LSU had the powerful..strong backs, and A&M had Houdini as a QB. I think it will be easier to stop UGA's run game.
    Roll Tide

Quote Originally Posted by TideMom2Boys View Post
    Their backs are more fast and nimble than strong, right? LSU had the powerful..strong backs, and A&M had Houdini as a QB. I think it will be easier to stop UGA's run game.
    I think LSU had a better line, too. Inured / shuffled or not, they played great.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I love how they focus on our two tough ones as proof but say UGA has grown from theirs. No they didn't. Despite six turnovers and Florida's worst in the SEC outside Opelika offense - UGA win by a TD.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again

Only a few people in the world have the ability to remember everything. I'm one of them. Pick any day of my life, and I can tell you what I saw or heard.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Georgia is a well rounded team, they can throw the ball and run it too.
    SO CAN WE...
    I see that Georgia has a good Defense.
    SO DO WE...
    I see Georgia runs a 3-4 Defense...
    SO DO WE...

If we play our game we win a hard fought game.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I am surprisingly relaxed about this game. They are just hyping to get the interest up. Only way Georgia wins is if Murray has the game of his life and their defense plays like they did against Florida. Even them (see LSU this year) we still can win.
    Last edited by mittman; November 30th, 2012 at 11:31 AM.

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Both defenses have played against 2 offenses ranked in the top 30. Bama: aTm (#3) and UT (#20). GA: UT(#20) and GT (#28).

Against the common opponent of those four, Bama - on the road - held UT to 23 points below their average and 194 yards below their avg. GA - at home - allowed UT to score 8 points more than their average and 2 yards more than their average. The common opponent comparison weighs heavily in favor of Bama.

Against Georgia Tech, the Bulldogs, held them to 26 points below average and 33 yds below average. Bama held aTm to 16 points below their average and 134 yards below their average. This comparison is a mixed bag since a)UGA won and Bama lost; and b) aTm's offense is night and day better than GT's -- so hard to determine who gets the edge. One significant stat is that both of these opponents ran for over 4.5 yds per carry against GA.

Both offenses have played against 2 teams that rank in the top 20 defenses in the country: Vandy (#18), FL (#5) and Michigan (#12) and LSU (#9). No common opponents here.

Against Vandy, GA scored 30 points more than the 'dores allow and 241 more yards than the defense normally gives up. The 'Dawgs scored 5 more points and 10 less yards than the Gators allow. Against the Gators, GA was able to start 4 possessions in FL territory due to turnovers (3 inside the 26 yd line), coming away with only 10 points.

Against Michigan, Bama scored 22 more points and had 120 more yards than UM allowed on the season. Against LSU, Bama scored 4 more points 35 more yards than the Tigers gave up on average during the season. Of note, Bama averaged 6.6 yds per carry against the Tigers (#10 rushing D nationally) and absolutely rammed it down their throat when the game was on the line.

The bottom line on this - for me, at least - is that against the common opponent, our defense was far superior. GA really struggled to stop the run against the two best offenses they faced, while Bama averaged over 6 yards per carry against the two best defenses it has faced. This should be the difference in this game. Throw out the Vandy and Michigan games and compare our game against LSU and GA vs FL - the two toughest defenses either team faced. LSU played the game of their lives; yet Bama withstood the test and rammed it down their throats when the game was on the line. FL turned the ball over SIX times (4 in their own territory) and GA could only turn that into a 8 point victory.

Anything can happen; but Bama should win this game. It's why they are favored. And for some reason, I just cannot get the UT and KY games for GA out of my mind. We haven't struggled with anyone we shouldn't have.
    RTR