Page 1 of 26 1234567811 ... LastLast
    Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Kirby Smart won't leave mentor Nick Saban until he has opportunity for success

Coach Smart will consider leaving only when he gets a prime offer.

A very good article on Coach Kirby with background from our Joe Kines his defensive coordinator at Georgia. The article makes some good points. 1. That the defensive coordinator job at Alabama and under coach Saban is one of the top coordinator positions in the country. 2. He has some serious clout and will be picky in choosing.
    Coach Kirby was roommates with Mike Bobo and Will Muschamp at Georgia and has been with coach Saban since 2004.

The article is based on Joe Kines recollection as Kirby's former coach as DC at Georgia, but unless I missed it, they failed to mention that he held that position at Bama too, which this article is partly based on. Big omission.

http://espn.go.com/colleges/alabama/...ned-head-coach

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American CoastGhost's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused on TideFans.com

Re: Kirby Smart won't leave mentor Nick Saban until he has opportunity for success

Good article! Maybe CKS will wait on CNS to retire

BamaNation All-American Clubfitter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Re: Kirby Smart won't leave mentor Nick Saban until he has opportunity for success

Good article. Thanks
    “What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment.”
    Coach Nick Saban.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Great article about a fantastic coach.
    Coach Kines knows him well and knows the quality coach that Kirby has became.
    Eventually Coach Smart will leave to run his own program, and Coach Saban will
    have the task of trying to find someone to fill Kirby's shoes. Hard job.
    (It's difficult to find someone who thinks like you do, and makes the same decisions you
    would have made.)

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good read thanks CT.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

This part made me laugh: "Kines ... can recall a game against Florida when the Gators had fourth-and-inches on Georgia, and Smart, then a sturdy defensive back, lined up over the center. Kines yelled at him, 'You've got the tight end!' and Smart replied, 'Not on a quarterback sneak.'"

BamaNation All-American AlistarWills's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Blah on TideFans.com

Kirby Smart is a Jedi. He sees things before they happen.
    I've read the end of The Book and I know who wins!

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

I may be wrong, but I think Kirby Smart will only leave for a select few jobs. It will only be a job where the program is ready to succeed. Not a program riddled with probation or controversy. And I doubt very seriously that he will take a job that has him competing directly with Nick Saban and Alabama. The only way he'd do that, IMO, is if the Georgia job somehow came open.

I do think that the possibility exists that he's waiting on the Alabama job. Whatever the case, he's in a prime position to be very selective and I think he will be.

BamaNation All-SEC tidefanbeezer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Great article. Confirmed what I had suspected all along.

Smart is a patient man and will select the right opportunity when it comes along. Good move on his part.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Apprehensive on TideFans.com

I hope he takes over when CNS decides it's time to go to the lake. (Hopefully not real soon though)

BamaNation Hall of Fame RJ YellowHammer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post
    I hope he takes over when CNS decides it's time to go to the lake. (Hopefully not real soon though)
    Imo He needs to prove himself as a HC somewhere else first. CKS is a fantastic DC, but being a head coach is another matter altogether. And Alabama is no place to learn on the job.
    "This is not the end. This is the beginning." - Nick Saban, at the 2009 NC celebration at B-D.

BamaNation First Team crmsntd91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

The man wears no socks with his pennyloafers, he is replacing CNS when he retires.
    "We have an opponent in this state that we work every day, 365 days a year, to dominate."

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool on TideFans.com

Kirby Smart won't leave mentor Nick Saban until he has opportunity for success

I hope he stays until coach decides to head to the lake! I dont know their age differences but it would be a great way to learn as you go!
    " I THOUGHT THIS MUST BE WHAT GOD LOOKS LIKE."

GEORGE BLANDA
    in talking about Coach Paul Bryant

Alabama is 2- and 3-deep all over the place with full grown, meaner-than-he!! men. It's almost not fair making college kids play against them. Any Saban-coached team is going to be deep as he!! with recruits that have elite size, strength and experience at their position and they are going to play with incredible physicality.
    I support PAWS.