Link: Kirby Smart won't leave mentor Nick Saban until he has opportunity for success

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Wow! So it isn't about championships? You hate your rival more than you want to win? I really do not understand SEC fans.
Kirby is the DC, but this is Nick Saban's defense. Kirby does a great job calling plays, but CNS breaks down hundreds of hours of film every year, and works on scheme, and alignment on a week to week basis. I'm not trying to minimize what Kirby does, but the 3-4 over/under scheme we run is the same as Saban ran when he was with Dolphins and based on what learned working for Belichik in the 90's at the Browns. Saban has never went out and hiring an established DC. He usually promotes from within and names a bright young coach to run his system. If Saban was relying on a DC to come and put a defensive system in place, Muschamp nor Smart would have never been hired. They were green and pretty much unknown when they were hired by Saban. IOW, I think we'll survive...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Notre Dame's DC, Bob Diaco, has interviewed with Boston College and word is he is BC's early favorite too. They have a defensive tradition up there over the last decade: playing a 3-4 defense like Diaco implements and seemingly always have a high quality ILB. I think BC is a good fit for him.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
If he is offered by Auburn, I believe Bama will give him a hushed Coach in Waiting position without a raise. He's not even 40 and should wait on the LEXUS.

A few years ago that would have probably happened, but the HCIW has pretty much died a slow death. Just not the thing any more. Plus that would mean Saban gives Kirby some type of definitive time frame for his coaching end. I just don't see that happening just yet either. He still has too much in him.
There is a big difference when it's public.
I am aware of this and the implications it can bring, that's why I said "Hush". Of course I could only see this happening if CKS was coach Saban's choice, and he is secure enough to handle it. And it being Hush is a big part of it, not even a raise at this time, which I also included in the suggestion. Coach Smart would stay at Bama and we chug on.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Kirby is the DC, but this is Nick Saban's defense. Kirby does a great job calling plays, but CNS breaks down hundreds of hours of film every year, and works on scheme, and alignment on a week to week basis. I'm not trying to minimize what Kirby does, but the 3-4 over/under scheme we run is the same as Saban ran when he was with Dolphins and based on what learned working for Belichik in the 90's at the Browns. Saban has never went out and hiring an established DC. He usually promotes from within and names a bright young coach to run his system. If Saban was relying on a DC to come and put a defensive system in place, Muschamp nor Smart would have never been hired. They were green and pretty much unknown when they were hired by Saban. IOW, I think we'll survive...
I think the highest amount of trust was put into Smart. Muschamp hasn't even used a 3-4 base in his career. Some of Saban's concepts are there but Muschamp has always been more about front 4 pressure and coverage with the back seven. My point being that Saban probably gave Muschamp less reign over the defense given the looks he prefers post-Saban are not exactly similar.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Here's the thing. If they offer him a boatload of money, which they obvously would, he'd almost be a fool not to take it. One contract and his family, his kid's family, his grandkid's family, is set. We say our players would be fools not to take the money by coming out early, why would Kirby be any different? And if it doesn't work out for him, reckon he might still be able to be gainfully employed and earn a decent wage going forward?

If I'm sitting on $10 large in the bank at 40 years old, you think I care what you think of me? Pfft.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
Who knows? Maybe it will come down to whether he'll be allowed to coach in the big game. Hopefully Kirby will demand it; Dye won't allow it. I really don't see Dye allowing him to stay through BCSCG, and I REALLY don't see Kirby leaving his players without that opportunity. I just don't.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Smart will be making at least 3-mil a year at Auburn. Alabama is paying him the most of any DC in America and he'd still be making at least 3x the money. If he completely washed out at Auburn, he could go back to a DC position and earn near what he was already earning at Alabama. Financially speaking, he can't say no to the Auburn position if they hand him an offer.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Who knows? Maybe it will come down to whether he'll be allowed to coach in the big game. Hopefully Kirby will demand it; Dye won't allow it. I really don't see Dye allowing him to stay through BCSCG, and I REALLY don't see Kirby leaving his players without that opportunity. I just don't.
Sounds like you are pretty convinced with Dye now in the mix. It's not going to happen in my strongest opinion, and the "Hushed" coach in waiting is a viable position for Bama to take if he is Coach Saban's choice, and I believe he is. Just a hunch.

Smart will be making at least 3-mil a year at Auburn. Alabama is paying him the most of any DC in America and he'd still be making at least 3x the money. If he completely washed out at Auburn, he could go back to a DC position and earn near what he was already earning at Alabama. Financially speaking, he can't say no to the Auburn position if they hand him an offer.
You also have to consider he will most certainly get equal of better offers outside the state in the next few years and is not even 40 years old. So it's not now or never by any means.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm really not concerned with all of this bluster. I would feel much worse for Kirby Smart than Alabama were he to take this job. It would be career suicide, IMO. There are, and will be in the future, much better opportunities. But as for Alabama's sake, this ship is Nick Saban's. Everything is his system, on offense and defense. Yes, he's heavily involved on the defensive side, but don't think for a second that the offense is just left to the OC. It's not. His parameters, his design, and you work within that system if you are on his staff.

It would be a loss, no doubt. But not catastrophic. It would be catastrophic for Smart's career, IMO. If Auburn were in good shape... If Chizik was simply retiring after a good career, then that would be one thing. But that is a dumpster fire down there right now and then you've got to compete directly with Nick Saban, Mark Richt, oh and Will Muschamp has a 2 year head start on you? Just not a good move. We'll see.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
Yep if it's all about the money you're right, and our time with Kirby is over. I have to hope it's about more than money though.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
thats us as fans, not coaches making career choices...just have to keep it in perspective....

bottom line, its a major program who cabn afford to pay a hefty salary...

they have the ability to recruit, and play in the best conference in football...

taking off the auburn hate goggles, its not a bad entry poiont for a first time coach...better than an arkansas state or memphis, etc..
I don't think it would be a very smart move on Kirby's part or any first time HC to take a job at Auburn right now. And it's not JUST because of the internal issues already there and the ones potentially on the horizon. Look at the division they would be in and the competition they'd be going against. Nick Saban/Alabama, Les Miles/LSU, Sumlin/aTm and for any first time coach you have to go ahead and throw in Hugh Freeze/Ole Miss and Mullen/Miss St.

He would be climbing uphill for quite some time and in today's college football landscape (especially the meat grinder of the SEC) patience doesn't exist.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This seems a likely chain of thought. Cannot see Smart walking away from young men that he has committed to during a time like this. If Auburn demands it, it says a lot about them. Would he really want to be a part of something like that? He doesn't need the pay raise that badly. His time will come.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
at some point Kirby will leave for a good HC job but the Barn is a disaster right now. I could understand UcheaT or the Hogs or Texas (if it opens) or maybe even Boise (if Peterson goes to Ark) but no way the plains...

would rather not have any distractions for the next 5 weeks but if you take into account that Coach McElwain took the Col State job mid-Dec that worked out just fine for us

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Here's the thing. If they offer him a boatload of money, which they obvously would, he'd almost be a fool not to take it. One contract and his family, his kid's family, his grandkid's family, is set. We say our players would be fools not to take the money by coming out early, why would Kirby be any different? And if it doesn't work out for him, reckon he might still be able to be gainfully employed and earn a decent wage going forward?

If I'm sitting on $10 large in the bank at 40 years old, you think I care what you think of me? Pfft.
It's not now or never, that seems to be missing from your rationale. And also any emotional thoughts on it.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I always figured that Smart would go to another conference like Urban Meyer, who is poised to absolutely rock the Big Ten for the next few years. The Big Ten would probably be a good fit for Smart...what we do is very "Midwest football" with a good deal more talent.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Awesome!

I can't fault anyone for trying to improve their position, make more money and accomplish career goals. That said, I can't imagine a scenario where Kirby Smart thinks the Auburn job is worth taking.
they might offer 3+ million reasons that he wiould consider it...

I couldnt fault him if they offered and he accepted, thats too much of a pay increase.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
Money aside, I just don't see how Auburn in its current state provides the "opportunity for success" that this entire thread is based on.

Kirby is an excellent DC, probably the best in the country right now. But, is a first-time HC really going to be able to manage that mess down there long enough to have any success? Doubtful...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.