Link: Kirby Smart won't leave mentor Nick Saban until he has opportunity for success

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Seems like Mark Richt accepted the Georgia job and did not coach the NC game for Florida State when they lost to Oklahoma 13-2 after the 2000 season.

Looks like he did coach for FSU at the Nc

http://savannahnow.com/stories/122700/SPTuga.shtml

Richt will remain the Seminoles' offensive coordinator through the Orange Bowl - a national championship matchup against Oklahoma Jan. 3. He indicated he will try to do some recruiting for Georgia at night by telephone while in Miami.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
It's not now or never, that seems to be missing from your rationale. And also any emotional thoughts on it.
Never said it was now or never. Better decisions are made when emotions are removed.

You want some emotion? I hope like hell he doesnt go to the barn, cause I'll make fun of him forever if he does. Specifically if somebody finds his pants in a pond. There will be plenty of opportunites out there for him if and when he decides the time is right.

Happy now?

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
It comforts me to know that Richt still coached and they scored 2 points.

For the love of Alabama, if he takes the job don't let him coach!!!:wink:

Haha, well we can get comfort from knowing Dan Mullen coached and won the NC .

We know how Richt does in the big games...guess it was back at FSU as well.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
That '00 Oklahoma defense was the backbone of that team. It's surprising that they only netted a safety late in the game but it's not like FSU was going to light them up either.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Smart will be like Bill Battle at Tenn. fan base will be impatient as far as Bama goes. If he loses to Bama, and that is very likely, his first three years, he will be hated by most. I know all Barn coaches have little rope in this matter, but a former Bama player or high profile asst like Smart will have less. Dye pulled it off but he came in at a good time. This is not good timing for Smart to take the job. He needs to remember Bill Battle and ask himself if he wants to follow that nightmare. It is almost certainly his future if he takes the Auburn job.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
rizolltizide......
Here's the thing. If they offer him a boatload of money, which they obvously would, he'd almost be a fool not to take it.....
It's not now or never, that seems to be missing from your rationale. And also any emotional thoughts on it.

Never said it was now or never. Better decisions are made when emotions are removed.

You want some emotion? I hope like hell he doesnt go to the barn, cause I'll make fun of him forever if he does. Specifically if somebody finds his pants in a pond. There will be plenty of opportunites out there for him if and when he decides the time is right.

Happy now?
Emotion plays a part in any coaching decision, you must be viewing the word with a narrow scope. Your answer to my question involved some emotion :)

Take the money and run at all cost is not what will decide the outcome. Your post pointed in that direction imo.

Last edited:

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I suppose I wouldn't have a huge issue with Smart taking the opportunity, as long as it were done with class and with respect for Coach Saban and Alabama. If he went to Auburn and in the process tried to gut Bama's coaching staff or recruiting class, that's another story.

I know it's a top 15 job and a major SEC opportunity--not to mention a lot of money if the rumors are true--but because of all the unusual factors involved, it just doesn't sound right to me. Maybe it won't to Kirby either.
Generally, that is the case. At the moment? I don't think so.

There has been a lot of attrition down on the barn. In spite of their highly ranked recruiting classes of late, the cupboard is quite bare. In addition, there is a large split of their players that were recruited for two different offensive and defensive systems. While the defensive changes were minor compared to the offensive changes, that adds to the bareness of the cupboard. They're coming off of a win-less season in-conference and weren't competitive at all in most of those games. Whoever takes that job is looking at a 4 to 5 year rebuilding job to get them back to a legitimate 10-win team and competing to win the West.

They just fired the coach that won them their second National Championship of all time - with their first coming over 50 years ago - only two years after he won them that title. Given the current and likely continued success that we are having in Tuscaloosa, there is absolutely no reason to believe that the fans or the administration will have 4 to 5 years of patience.

- They are going to want to see vast improvement in year one. That should be fairly easy for a good coach.
- They are almost certainly going to want to see signs of being able to compete with Alabama in year two. That will not be an easy task.
- They are most likely going to want to see a 9 to 10 win team with [at least] a chance to win the SEC West by beating Bama in the Iron Bowl in year three. That would be a very difficult, and very unreasonable, task to expect from a new coach - even if Coach Saban were to clone himself this week and Auburn was able to hire his clone next week.

Right now, Arkansas is a better job. They have much, much more talent than the Barn and don't have to compete in their backyard with Saban, Richt, and Muschamp for recruits. Plus, they can much more easily recruit in Texas. Hang on to Paul Petrino - or hire some other good Offensive "System" Coordinator - and build a good defense and they're competing for the West perhaps as early as next year.

Tennessee is currently a better job. Tennessee has always been able to recruit better nationally than most SEC teams. They've got a fair bit of talent. And, despite their disappointing performance, they've got much more talent and a much better, more disciplined football foundation than the Barn.

And, depending upon the perspective, Kentucky might even be a better job. Kentucky fans are happy with a Bowl and ecstatic with a Bowl they have to travel more than two or three hours to get to. Kentucky is almost a perfect "stepping stone" job. They can recruit the SEC and, if you can find a few diamonds in the rough, can amass some decent talent. No, they won't realistically be competing for an SEC Championship, much less a National Championship, anytime soon but they don't expect that. Average 7 to 8 wins per year and throw in one or two 9 or 10 win seasons and - in four or five years - you've got a proven track record of building a team, a happy fan base and administration that will be sorry to see you go, some good years of experience as a Head Coach at an SEC school, and most likely your pick of any Head Coaching position available including a few that you may be able to step into and immediately compete for a Conference Championship.

Because of the hole that the Barn has dug for itself and the constant meddling by certain individuals, taking the Barn job now could almost be career suicide with just a little bad luck - for pretty much any coach.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Yes. And if I remember correctly CSU picked him up right after the game...
Very true. And their university was mentioned a dozen times during the game as well as their coached celebrated on national television. It was a win win situation for Bama and CSU.

Auburn needs none of that, and this would be like night and day compared to that. Plus the DC at Bama is a harder job to fill. The OC comes in, gets a philosophy and the terminology and does his thing. The DC is coach Saban's right hand man imo. You would have a more personal relationship. At least that's my opinion.

Kirby has been with Coach Saban since 2004. He's had 4 or 5 OC's since then.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The DC is coach Saban's right hand man imo. You would have a more personal relationship. At least that's my opinion.
If only there was an unemployed assistant with DC experience, and is very familiar with Alabama's defense. Oh, and it would be even better if his son was on the team, that would just be crazy wouldn't it?

I'm not saying Sal is the best potential DC, but if that whole right hand man, experience with the defense stuff is important then Sal is a perfect fit. I imagine the drop off wouldn't be like some people would imagine. It's still ultimately a Saban defense.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If only there was an unemployed assistant with DC experience, and is very familiar with Alabama's defense. Oh, and it would be even better if his son was on the team, that would just be crazy wouldn't it?

I'm not saying Sal is the best potential DC, but if that whole right hand man, experience with the defense stuff is important then Sal is a perfect fit. I imagine the drop off wouldn't be like some people would imagine. It's still ultimately a Saban defense.
I'd be very surprised to see Sal named as DC. The reason he took the UT job was because he knew he wouldn't be named DC by Saban...

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

I like Sal a lot as a coach but his Tennessee move was nearly career suicide. He tried to implement the more complicated defense and I suppose the lack of experience doing that coupled with the players not picking it up pushed the defense to about #110 in the nation. So I believe he could only come back as a position coach, at least here. He needed more than a year. Remember Joe Kines 1st year?

I see Parallels between a CKS move to Auburn and Sals move to Tennessee. Defensive minded coaches need to go somewhere with solid footing imo. They seem to have a harder time getting things going imo. It can take longer.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.