Link: Kirby Smart won't leave mentor Nick Saban until he has opportunity for success

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
I don't care if he goes to Auburn, I just want them to stop talking about until we whip up on Notre Dame.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'd be very surprised to see Sal named as DC. The reason he took the UT job was because he knew he wouldn't be named DC by Saban...
I would be a bit surprised to, but I'm not sure how you handle this hire. You can't bring in someone completely new, the breaking in period would be too much of a distraction. I was more poking fun since Sal has a personal relationship.

I see Sal as the most obvious replacement on the staff, he had a hard time coaching against his son and we know Saban doesn't have an issue taking people back. Who the actual DC would be is another story.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
An insecure defensive coordinator coming and having a bad year would take 10 years off his life :)

Be like Major Applewhite X100

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
AU would seem like a disasterous place for CKS to go but if (and it is the biggest IF ever) he would have to be given the power and autonomy to clean out the cockroaches. CNS was able to clean house and Smart saw how it is done. Being 36 and having zero HC experience seems to be a difficult bridge for me to cross as to what AU is looking for. Could be completely wrong and we don't know how many "Nos" they received. ARK is waaaaayyy down their list so who knows where AU is. Guess we'll see soon enough. Best of luck to KS and his family...except against Bama.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Sounds like you are pretty convinced with Dye now in the mix. It's not going to happen in my strongest opinion, and the "Hushed" coach in waiting is a viable position for Bama to take if he is Coach Saban's choice, and I believe he is. Just a hunch.

You also have to consider he will most certainly get equal of better offers outside the state in the next few years and is not even 40 years old. So it's not now or never by any means.
Im not so sure that a coach in waiting is the way to go. doesnt seem to have worked out anywhere else that it was put into place, and just caused other issues within the programs.

DC's can come, DC's can go...just like OCs...you hire another solid DC and move on.

not the end of the world...
or the program.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Yeah I saw that on the thread about who the replacement would be.

It won't be more than two days of this mess.

if Smart left, it would be someone internal to the program taking control for the bowl game, not someone off the street.

Saban would use someone familiar with our defense currently, and then take his time to hire a long term replacement after the season...IMO.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
if Smart left, it would be someone internal to the program taking control for the bowl game, not someone off the street.

Saban would use someone familiar with our defense currently, and then take his time to hire a long term replacement after the season...IMO.
You are 100% correct.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Im not so sure that a coach in waiting is the way to go. doesnt seem to have worked out anywhere else that it was put into place, and just caused other issues within the programs.

DC's can come, DC's can go...just like OCs...you hire another solid DC and move on.

not the end of the world...
or the program.
Some already stated that same response and I rebutted.
It would be internal. I think it would work, but we differ. No problem.

IBUY

1st Team
Jan 9, 2007
del Greco mentioned on Jox this morning is that there is a push to have the incoming coach retain Trooper Taylor as recruiting coordinator.

That pretty much says it all, doesn't it?
Cannot imagine that KS would wander into that land mine...Wait, sounds familiar...Terry Bowden was told when he was hired that he could hire or fire any staffer except WAYNE HALL.....hmmmm....

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I dont think he is leaving. How much intel can you gather during an interview on the inner workings of a program? Does Auburn take a PR hit if Smart ultimately withdraws his name from consideration? Before I took the job at AU there would have to be complete disclosure at the situation there. I bet if you took a poll nationally that Auburn probably has the worst reputation in college football for playing within the rules. If I am already highly compensated, which Smart is, going to a reputable program would weigh heavily with me. Everyone who coaches at Auburn comes away tainted in someway. Why would Smart risk his entire coaching career at his age on a 5yr contract for $15M? I would not do it if I am already a millionaire, which Smart certainly is. Remember, coaches with no previous head coaching experience traditionally are given little patience from the fans and alumni. If you dont hit the ground running you are out in year 3 which most certainly would be at Auburn based on how they have handled things in the past.

No one on the current staff has enough experience to be promoted to DC. IF, Smart does indeed cross the line, there will be an outside hire for DC.

If Malzahn could get paid $1.4 or so as OC last year at AU then I see no reason that we wont make a competitive offer to retain Smart.

If Smart would just sit tight for 2-3 more years, the I believe the GA job will open again (I dont Richt is off the hotseat at all even with this year's record based on his inability to win games that matter), plus he may have clearer indication of what the Bama situation is in the future (not saying CNS will retire) and depending on who they get Auburn will likely be open again.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Cannot imagine that KS would wander into that land mine...Wait, sounds familiar...Terry Bowden was told when he was hired that he could hire or fire any staffer except WAYNE HALL.....hmmmm....
80% end up unemployed(able), and on the payroll of doom for the rest of their lives. Thrown in the closet with the rest of the skeletons!

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
I bet coach Saban would hire Sal back in a minute if it's open as you suggest. He did leave for a promotion, did a great job imo, and left with approval from the boss man.
Current D staff:
Jeremy Pruitt - Secondary
Chris Rumph - Defensive Line
Kirby Smart - Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
Lance Thompson - Outside Linebackers

With theorectical scenario:
Jeremy Pruitt - Defensive Coordinator/Secondary
Chris Rumph - Defensive Line
Sal Sunseri- Linebackers
Lance Thompson - Outside Linebackers

That's just based on what I've read here today about Pruitt apparently being that highly regarded.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.